Wireless Shutter Release for Nikon D750

tenthumbs

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been using a wired shutter release on my D7000. Now that I have the D750 I'd like to go wireless. Typical use is for multiple 30 second exposures for star trails or fireworks/lightning or simply just to get a very crisp landscape shot.

There seems to be a wide range of options for a wireless shutter release. A wide range of prices as well. I'm not too excited to use an app on my phone because that becomes another item I have to charge on a long hike. I can bring multiple camera batteries but not multiple phones.

Any recommendations?

ML-L3 Wireless Remote Control (Infrared) from Nikon

Note before buying to look out for a genuine nikon one; look at link genuine models have a raised ridge around the button nock offs dont

Problems
1, its the kind of thing you lose easily
2, if its not kept in its pouch or left at the bottom of a camera bag the battery will wear down fast as the least pressure activates the button.
3, The one I had suddenly stopped working all of a sudden, probably because the battery was dead, I changed the battery but it didnt make any difference.
Pros
1, Cheap

ML-L3 Wireless Remote Control (Infrared) from Nikon

Note before buying to look out for a genuine nikon one; look at link genuine models have a raised ridge around the button nock offs dont

Problems
1, its the kind of thing you lose easily
2, if its not kept in its pouch or left at the bottom of a camera bag the battery will wear down fast as the least pressure activates the button.
3, The one I had suddenly stopped working all of a sudden, probably because the battery was dead, I changed the battery but it didnt make any difference.
Pros
1, Cheap
This is the one I use - I've had it about 8 years. The pouch is on my camera strap which works for me.

If you normally stand behind the camera, unless your camera has an IR receiver on the rear of the camera, I found IR remotes to be a PiA, because you have to reach over the camera to point it at the front of the camera.
The front IR receiver is great for self portraits and similar, or maybe on a copy stand.

I tend to shoot from the side. I find I don't use mine that much, so it's fine for me. If you use one a lot, then you may want something else.

I found the IR one to be a pain. Didn't work for macro shots. A wired one did the job.

Recently picked up a Neewer FC-16. It's 2.4 G. I know this is a cheap brand, but with a coupon, had to pay tax. Less than a dollar. Figured why not? It actually works really well. But if this wasn't a hobby, or wanted to trigger multiple flashes, I'd get a better one.

Godox and Yongnuo are used by many here. Check into those.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back