Wireless shutter release remote vs. Wired

David84

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have used a wireless in the past but lost it... looking to get a new one. What are the benefits of a wired remote? The wireless one I used before was Canon and was about $25.

Also - I currently have an XTi, but will be looking to upgrade soon (most likely 5dII, but mayble a 1dsII or a 1dIII, etc). Are the remotes going to be interchangeable or no??

Thanks a ton as always!

-David

Benefit of a wired remote? When I push the button, it happens. No ifs, buts, was I too far aways, if it's IR did I point it at the camera, etc. It just happens.

Oh and since it's attached to the camera you can just let it dangle there without loosing it on location.

... Oh and since it's wired fancy features like interval timing work very well, (not sure if they are even available on wireless).

I'm not saying wireless is unreliable by any means, just that if you need to be damn bloody certain something when you push the button, I wouldn't pick wireless, or (to be fair) a very cheap and dodgy wired one either.

There are some wireless remote that is a combination of a wired and wireless remote. If you do not use the wireless portion of it, you can still use the wired side alone which is also a receiver for the wireless part.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll do a bit more research online right now because I do plan on buying today....

Garbz - Good point on the interval timing... I did not even know they could do that. I don't think my previous wireless did that... but then again, I was rather new at all this stuff when I had it.

Thanks again!

-David

I'm not sure if it's still this way...but some remotes were not compatible between the different lines of EOS cameras. Actually, I think that the lower end (Rebels) were the only ones that had built in compatibility with Canon brand wireless triggers. The mid & higher level EOS cameras require a receiver device to be attached to the camera.

I got a Phottix Cleon N8 that works on the D300 & D700. It is wired & wireless. Works great and was ~$37. I know that make them for Canon as well. Search eBay reseller Hong Kong Supplies.

Your infrared wireless remote from your XTi WILL work with a 5DII if you plan on upgrading.

I got a Phottix Cleon N8 that works on the D300 & D700. It is wired & wireless. Works great and was ~$37. I know that make them for Canon as well. Search eBay reseller Hong Kong Supplies.

Thanks for the info, I'll take a look at them!

Most reactions

Back