Wish List

I'm afraid I don't 'get' the title, however I like the elegant simplicity of the image.

I'm afraid I don't 'get' the title, however I like the elegant simplicity of the image.

Thanks John. About the title, well, I think it's possibly one of those cases where the nuance of meaning is lost in translation and has to do with the piece of paper on the one but last pew on the left.

When I printed this and was looking at it alongside some other church images I've printed recently the title Wunschzettel came to me and this encapsulates nicely the idea I had when taking the photo (the piece of paper was as I found it, and it seemed to me that somebody had left it there as an entreaty to Christ). Whilst Wunschzettel is the German for wish list, it fits better than the English title for some reason that I'm at a bit of a loss to explain: it just feels right, whilst the English title isn't quite what I want to express as the subtleties of meaning aren't the same (for me anyway). This is why I left the original title in the flickr link.

Meanings are many times lost in translation and English does its best to remove those meanings and "dumb them down" for lack of a better term. Your photo wonderful in its simplicity and composition. Good work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back