"Wish List"

OnTheFly7

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Well, with the holidays now over, it is time to think about future purchases and creating a wish list. Below are the lenses that I am interested in. Would love to hear your thoughts on the list and/or recommendations/arguements about the list.

Zoom:
- 14-24mm f/2.8
- 24-70mm f/2.8
- 200-400mm f/4 (may be)

Prime:
- 35mm f/1.4
- 50mm f/1.4
- 85mm f/1.4
- Then, sloooowly add the 300mm - 800mm lenses.

Again, the wish list!

Your list doesn't show what you have already but if this is it, it leaves some ranges uncovered. I've heard good things an out the new 70-200 f4.

Also, and I know some people are purists but I'm not - maybe consider some other brands like Sigma or Tamron... just got the Tamron 70-300 and loving it so far.

OnTheFly said:
Well, with the holidays now over, it is time to think about future purchases and creating a wish list. Below are the lenses that I am interested in. Would love to hear your thoughts on the list and/or recommendations/arguements about the list.

Zoom:
- 14-24mm f/2.8
- 24-70mm f/2.8
- 200-400mm f/4 (may be)

Prime:
- 35mm f/1.4
- 50mm f/1.4
- 85mm f/1.4
- Then, sloooowly add the 300mm - 800mm lenses.

Again, the wish list!

Yeah, sure, why not set the sights high, right? You've selected some larger, higher-grade zooms at the top, and three f/1.4 primes of good usefulness in the 35,50,and 85mm lengths. I think I would set my sights on the Sigma 35 and Sigma 50 if I were going for f/1.4 primes for Nikon and if the goal is to get the highest-performing lenses possible for reasonable amounts of money.

The Sigma 35 and 50 are it seems better lenses than Nikon's 35/1.4 and Nikon's 50mm f/1.4 lenses--but they are LARGE-barreled lenses. I was going to buy a former member's 35/1.4 G-series, until I shot it....ehhhh...no...way too much color fringing for my taste, especially at f/1.4 and f/2...I do not like that green and magenta color fringing...the thing would have been rendered a waste for the way I shoot anyway--I am more likely to want a lens that's smaller, lighter, and less-conspicuous...my preference is "standard speed" primes, which is the Nikon brand has tricked upward from f/2 to f/1.8 in the light weight, polycarbonate barreled new G-series prime.

I regard the Tamron 15-30 f2.8 VC as a better option over the Nikon 14-24, unless if weather sealing is important to you.

Why the 200-400mm? Why not the 200-500mm?

I regard the Tamron 15-30 f2.8 VC as a better option over the Nikon 14-24, unless if weather sealing is important to you.

200-400 is a constant f/4. It appears the OP is obsessed about maximum apertures.

200-400 is a constant f/4. It appears the OP is obsessed about maximum apertures.

A lens that has a constant maximum aperture value throughout its zoom range is, in most but not all cases, a very simple shorthand way the manufacturers (plural) use to differentiate/signal that said lens is not an entry-level or low-level, nor a mid-level lens. A zoom lens that has a variable maximum aperture indicates that there have been "compromises" made with that lens, either compromises in size, weight, performance, durability, and the anticipated end use, or even all of those things. Almost every single Nikon-made zoom lens that has an f/2.8 max aperture is, or was, the absolute BEST lens Nikon had ever made in that category, when the lens was released.

Maybe the OP is obsessed with buying the best lenses available? Those lenses ALSO happen to typically be built to withstand 25-40 year ownership and use expectancy.

There's a simple reason the 200-400 f/4 is on the OP's wish list...it was, when introduced, the top of its class in the modern era. Right now, I've seen 200-400 VR Nikkor lenses selling for about $3200 to $3499 here in my city, on the retail, in-store, used market. Same situation with the 14-28 f/2.8-G...when it was introduced it was **the best performing** wide-angle zoom ever made, and it was/still is significantly better than MOST older, wide-angle primes made by Nikon, Canon, Contax, and Zeiss...

The 14-28/2.8 is MARKEDLY better than Nikon's older 16,18,20,24mm primes. Markedly better, in multiple metrics.

Last edited:
My wish list

The truth is that I pretty much have most of what I want but I do want 2 things

Nikon D610 for second body in event photography
Nikon 85mm 1.8G for long portrait sessions in case my hands will get tired of using my beloved Tamron 70-200mm 2.8

Of course I could have a very long list of other stuff I woudl want if money wasnt an issue but money is an issue and I think the 2 items I listed above are something I can see myself getting under the right conditions.

I'm keen on seeing a sigma art line wide angle fish eye and a tilt-shift lens, with quality rivaling my 18-35 1.8.

When i used a 5d my go to lens was a 24-105mm f4, which gets mixed user reviews, some loving and some not giving to much love. My only gripe with this lens was that sometimes i'd have to push the iso to maybe 3200 (which was in the extended iso range if I remember correctly), and at these times f2.8 would have been handy. However, having used nikon d750 (and I'm sure the canon 6d and 5d3 are similar), with there ability in the iso area , I'd opt for f4 zooms and cheaper f1.8 primes if i purchase a fullframe again (something I dismiss regularly in my head but keep looking etc). I know dof is a consideration also but I think f4 does the job mostly, and there would also be the f1.8 primes to fall back on if more dof required.

At the moment I have a d7200 (and d3100) and an olympus EM5
-I'll buy the olly 45mm f1.8 soon enough
-I'll buy the Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary also

Once I have these I'll consider a nikon to cover somewhere in the 55-300mm range (maybe a 70-200, or even nikons 55-300mm). Maybe nikon will give me even more choice by the time I want to get this area, having just released a fairly high level crop body, I wonder will a tidy dx lens somewhere in this range show its head

Would love to hear your thoughts on the list and/or recommendations/arguements about the list.
Its an obvious attempt at murdering me through boredom.

Why do you need both a 35mm and a 50mm ?

Why do you need a highly specialized glas like the 200-400mm f4 ?

Etc.

Maybe the OP is obsessed with buying the best lenses available? Those lenses ALSO happen to typically be built to withstand 25-40 year ownership and use expectancy.
Then I would recomment Zeiss, Voigtländer and old Nikkor Ai/AI-S lenses.

If in 40 years we still use SLRs ... who knows ?

I have a 50mm 1.8G and 85mm 1.8G. I have a 150-600 Contemporary. I have a D750

If I were to axe my entire collection and go fresh, I would probably have a D750, Nikon 200-500, a 24-70 f2.8, and maybe the Tamron 15-30. I would consider the 70-200 Tamron. I might not ever own a prime, maybe a 35mm f1.4.

I am not dissatisfied with what I own, but I am still in the process of thinking about what lens I want to add to my collection. I definitely want a lens to fill the wide end, and I do hate switching between primes, and I like shooting with a thin depth of field lots of the time. I want a 24-70 Tamron, or the 15-30 Tamron, but I will deliberate for longer. Lenses are tools, I hate having tools that collect dust.

My wish list is simple... An adapter to mount my Canon 500 F4 on a D500... Sigh :(

my wish list.

1. sigma teleconverter for my big lens.. ill probably never get one

2. 35-70mm f/2.8 lens or something similar would be really nice to have. i plan to get something like that this spring.

3. the nikon 70-300mm lens would be nice to have .. ill probably never get one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back