jeffashman

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
These two are a little different, because I used a 2x extender (actually 1.4x with my lenses, I think) that I had in a drawer. I had purchased the extender last year on eBay, and it didn't work with AF, but it worked OK with MF, but that wasn't what I wanted it for. Today, I was reading an article, and one of the comments mentioned that with most extenders on a Canon, with third party lenses, you have to use the LiveView, and not the View Finder for them to work with AF. Yep! It works!

Black Sodier Fly
aug16202101 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

Fall Armyworm Caterpillar
aug16202102 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

It might not be the extender, rather the reduction in light. Many DSLRs require a minimum of f 8 to autofocus through the viewfinder. Dual pixel AF works with less light so you may find your extender works only in, or better in, live view depending on the body.

The R5 and R6 support dual pixel AF through the view finder so my 100-400 5.6 becomes F11 with the 2x teleconverter but the AF and even eye tracking still works. There are tradeoffs with a TC but this was one of the reasons I got the R6. It also explains the timing of the release of the 600 and 800 f 11 lenses.

Last edited:
Nice shots. I have found the auto focus won't work with my 2X extension when I look through the view finder. It will work when then camera is in live mode. I use a Canon 5d with the Sigma 150-600 zoom.

You are achieving some very good macro shots!

It might not be the extender, rather the reduction in light. Many DSLRs require a minimum of f 8 to autofocus through the viewfinder. Dual pixel AF works with less light so you may find your extender works only in, or better in, live view depending on the body.

The R5 and R6 support dual pixel AF through the view finder so my 100-400 5.6 becomes F11 with the 2x teleconverter but the AF and even eye tracking still works. There are tradeoffs with a TC but this was one of the reasons I got the R6. It also explains the timing of the release of the 600 and 800 f 11 lenses.
Yes, that is what I learned.
Nice shots. I have found the auto focus won't work with my 2X extension when I look through the view finder. It will work when then camera is in live mode. I use a Canon 5d with the Sigma 150-600 zoom.
yes, that is what I discovered.
Nice shots!
Thanks!
You are achieving some very good macro shots!
Thank you!

That's what i call close up great macro well done

Most reactions

Back