Wondering why Sony isnt coming out with a user grade full frame camera

skieur said:
Well, in image quality the Nikon D90 is not far away from that of some FFs and better than the D600. In Sony at ISO 1600 the A99 is only a little sharper than the A77 not a lot sharper as one would expect from the price differential. Both have noise levels. In Canon the 1DX and the 7D are probably the sharpest but the price differential with the T4i as in more than $6,000 for the 1DX is a lot more than the sharpness difference between these cameras.

So, I find it interesting that you cannot tell anyone why they should buy full frame if the image quality is not considerably better.

skieur

DXOMark rates the D600 higher in everything, but yes, when the ISO performance of my 6D is 2x better than the performance of my 60D, I think it is worth 2x the price.

Downplaying the fact that full frames give better imaging performance does not mean that the better performance is not there.

Objectively, a new full frame at this point in time will perform better than a new crop sensor according to...pretty much everyone...The gap is closing but it's not quite there yet.

Last edited:
I don't think there is a big enough market for one. I hear rumors of an a78 this summer and we might see something new in the RX line but it won't be cheap.

I don't think there is a big enough market for one. I hear rumors of an a78 this summer and we might see something new in the RX line but it won't be cheap.

Its not supposed to be cheap just cheapper then the a99, something between the a77 and a99 price, I would say in the 2K$ range.

Its not supposed to be cheap just cheapper then the a99, something between the a77 and a99 price, I would say in the 2K$ range.

Yeah I understand. I would love for them to expand their line. But I just don't think there are enough of a market. Maybe I am wrong? There is a huge difference in the image quality of the a77 and a99 and certainly something could bridge the huge gap. We will see when the spring news comes out but the rumors in the past were a 36 mp version to compete more with the D800. But you never know?

I am hanging out for the A78. Been following sonyalpharumors on twitter and slowly but surely more information is coming to light.

Glad I didn't buy the A77 and will use the A55 until it comes out.

skieur said:
Well, in image quality the Nikon D90 is not far away from that of some FFs and better than the D600. In Sony at ISO 1600 the A99 is only a little sharper than the A77 not a lot sharper as one would expect from the price differential. Both have noise levels. In Canon the 1DX and the 7D are probably the sharpest but the price differential with the T4i as in more than $6,000 for the 1DX is a lot more than the sharpness difference between these cameras.

So, I find it interesting that you cannot tell anyone why they should buy full frame if the image quality is not considerably better.

skieur

DXOMark rates the D600 higher in everything, but yes, when the ISO performance of my 6D is 2x better than the performance of my 60D, I think it is worth 2x the price.

Downplaying the fact that full frames give better imaging performance does not mean that the better performance is not there.

Objectively, a new full frame at this point in time will perform better than a new crop sensor according to...pretty much everyone...The gap is closing but it's not quite there yet.

If you do the pixel peeping on the same shot with two different cameras you will find that the 6D has less noise than the D600 but then crop body cameras do not have much more noise than FFs at 1600.

Irrespective of what everyone says I have NOT seen an considerable noise difference or considerable sharpness difference on an image with a crop body vs an image with a FF.

skieur

Yeah I understand. I would love for them to expand their line. But I just don't think there are enough of a market. Maybe I am wrong? There is a huge difference in the image quality of the a77 and a99 and certainly something could bridge the huge gap. We will see when the spring news comes out but the rumors in the past were a 36 mp version to compete more with the D800. But you never know?

Well since you have both the A77 crop body and the A99, full frame how about showing us "the huge difference in image quality" on the same shot with same lighting, settings and lenses?

skieur

You'll never get the same shot by using the same settings with the same lens on different sensor sizes...

Well since you have both the A77 crop body and the A99, full frame how about showing us "the huge difference in image quality" on the same shot with same lighting, settings and lenses?

skieur

They have the same resolution right? so the A99 sensor has larger pixels than the A77, all else being equal doesn't that give the larger sensor a performence advantage?

skieur

They have the same resolution right? so the A99 sensor has larger pixels than the A77, all else being equal doesn't that give the larger sensor a performence advantage?

Sure but a photographer and his/her client is paying for what he/she SEES in terms of sharpness, lack of noise etc. at 1600 ISO for example which makes for better quality prints and enlargements. The test of the spin about larger pixels is a visible difference in IMAGE QUALITY as in sharpness and low noise that everyone can view.

So, don't tell me that the difference in quality is there, if it can't be shown with images.

skieur

Perhaps you don't realize Sony is teetering on the verge of bankruptcy, buyer beware
bigthumb.gif

Perhaps you don't realize Sony is teetering on the verge of bankruptcy, buyer beware
bigthumb.gif

So was Apple at one point.

One company pulled out, many more haven't, I'm not sure what the point is.

If a company is leaning towards bankruptcy and profit is heading down every quearter, research and development slows. That was my point to the thread topic =)

2WheelPhoto said:
One company pulled out, many more haven't, I'm not sure what the point is.

If a company is leaning towards bankruptcy and profit is heading down every quearter, research and development slows. That was my point to the thread topic =)

I thought most of Sony's loss is in its TV sector?

I have a hard time believing that Sony's bankruptcy is inevitable considering that they have so many options to downsize and restructure.

Even if they are losing money, Sony is still EVERYWHERE it seems so it's not like they can't strip some of their sectors that have dwindling sales.

I did find this though. Pretty damn funny.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Sony doesn't start making some profits there won't be any Sony cameras as for the RX-1 too little for too much money,you can get a Nikon D800 for less money!!

But dont forget that you will want a lens for that d800 and we might as well make it a zeiss 35mm f2.0.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back