Wool Mill in Missouri

kc_drifter7

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went on a guided tour of an old wool mill today and this is what I came up with. I didn't have much time to compose my shots and I had no tripod, so shooting was a little difficult. I'll just post the low-res versions of a few shots for now. oh and by the way, comments and critique are more than welcomed :)

dsc0100ni6.jpg

dsc0065ic0.jpg

dsc0063id0.jpg

dsc0070in1.jpg

dsc0079ux6.jpg

dsc0083ph9.jpg

dsc0097va4.jpg

dsc0185yx6.jpg

dsc0189yj9.jpg

Very nice comp., and b/w was good medium for it. Love the old machines, and work areas! The GY really gives you an idea of not only how hard the ppl worked, but the time of its heyday. Guided tours can be fun, but none of the excitment of hiding and dodging security/cops!! :lmao:

thanks for the reply, and yea I agree... this isn't as cool as real UE but for something you can do with the family on Mother's Day it's not too bad :)

I really want to get into UE, but I'm having trouble finding a site where I don't feel like I'll get caught lol. just something you have to get past i guess

Cool site. And nice pics. I'm assuming that they're B/W conversions? Maybe it's just me, but I'm a big fan of contrast and these seem to be missing a lot of punch. IMO, that is.

Cool site. And nice pics. I'm assuming that they're B/W conversions? Maybe it's just me, but I'm a big fan of contrast and these seem to be missing a lot of punch. IMO, that is.
Yea they were all shot in color and converted in Lightroom. I did up the contrast some but I didn't want to overdo it so I was pretty careful about it. Maybe you could do a quick edit to show how much you would've changed it?

I'll try my best, Drifter. I do film and don't have PS, so I use Microsoft Picture crap. Here's about the best I can do on three of them:

roller.jpg

looms.jpg

belts.jpg

That's how I would do it in the darkroom, or as close as I can get to how I would do things in the dark.

I'll have to learn PS one of these days, won't I?

I'll try my best, Drifter. I do film and don't have PS, so I use Microsoft Picture crap. Here's about the best I can do on three of them:

That's how I would do it in the darkroom, or as close as I can get to how I would do things in the dark.

I'll have to learn PS one of these days, won't I?
Thanks a lot, Neal. I really appreciate you helping me out there. I'll go back into Lightroom and try to do something similar with some other photos from my trip.

You're welcome, Drifter. Remember, though: they're your pictures, so do with them as you please.

That's a cool site. Where is that mill?

You're welcome, Drifter. Remember, though: they're your pictures, so do with them as you please.

That's a cool site. Where is that mill?

It's about a 40 minute drive from Kansas City, here's the site actually
http://www.watkinsmill.org/

The "reenactors" were a little cheesy but they don't do any of that inside the mill. It was a really cool opportunity, as there were only about 6 people in the group and our guide was great. It was a nice history lesson as well as a photo op.

Cool! I did some work in Trimble, Missouri, which isn't too far away.

Most reactions

Back