Worked on my first feature film

dnavarrojr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.topekadesign.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got hired as DP for an indie film shot in Kansas City earlier this month (23-day shooting schedule, 12 to 16 hour days with Sunday's off). It was quite an experience.

We shot it with my Canon T2i as backup and second camera, a rented T3i as main camera, several rented lenses (Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8), my Pentax 50mm F/1.4 w/adapter, and my Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-5.6. For audio we used a Rode VideoMic on camera and a Rode NTG-3 on a boom connected to a Boss BR-800. We also used my two wired lav mics when doing some shots driving around town in a car (1966 Pontiac GTO).

For our next one, I'd double up on the 50mm and 85mm lenses for two camera shots. And I'd triple the size of our light rig. We shot too much footage at ISO 800 and ISO 1600 for my liking.

I can't post any footage, per contact, but I'll link to the trailer when we're done with it. My camera, which was backup, was used to shoot a lot of stills and after I convert them from RAW and get them approved, I'll post some BTS shots.

Oh, the movie is called "CULL" and is a dark comedy about two female serial killers. The "4th actor" was Kansas City itself which was prominently featured including our being the first Movie Crew (non-documentary) to ever shoot inside the Nelson Art Gallery and Museum. And if you're familiar with Kansas City, we had full access to the Roselawn estate and used a couple of the houses as sets.

This was our lead actress - Susan Traylor - Susan Traylor - IMDb

ps. I chose to rent a T3i instead of a 7D or 5D because it was compatible with my grip, my 8 batteries and my other T2i accessories. My first unit camera op brought her 7D with her and we used it a couple of times because I wanted to compare footage and I didn't see any difference between the 7D footage and that from the T3i after our tests.

Most reactions

Back