Workflow and File Organization

Ok, thanks Lew. Now that the huge job of getting rid of the extra files is done I will do some research and tutorials on the hierarchy and keywords now before I forge ahead.

No, not in Lightroom yet, I finished culling the files and putting them into "main folders" sorted by subject yesterday. I'm assuming that is enough structure to start with?
That's OK, if that works for you...but it was more work than I would have done. My suggestion would be to simply sort them by date. If they have no existing structure, then just put them into folders for the year they were taken....maybe month as well, but not strictly necessary.

The 'by subject' thing is something you do inside Lightroom with keywords...and the file structure doesn't matter at all for your keywords.

NO.
Unless you have a hierarchical keyword list set up in LR, you are gooing to waste an enormous effort.
Hierarchical keyword lists are the best way to go, but plenty of people get by with just a straight up list. Depends how much you really need to search your archive.

Either way, it can be done before or after the images are imported. Yes, it can save some time to keyword when you import...but when bringing in an entire archive...she'd have to pick and choose anyway...which could be done later.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back