Workin' on my strobin'...

brettmc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I finally got my D40 to work with an off camera flash so today I've been working with a few diff. angles etc. Please C&C I need some work, but so far i'm liking the results for just beginning. A lot more to come, thanks for any help you can give! (all shot w/ my 50mm f/1.4
DSC_0422_edited-1.jpg

Exposure Time: 0.0040 s (1/250)
Aperture: f/8.0
ISO Equiv.: 200

DSC_0419.jpg

Aperture: f/8.0

DSC_0414_edited-1.jpg

Aperture: f/2.5

DSC_0409_edited-1.jpg

Aperture: f/11.0

(I don't have it), but according to the MTF charts on photozone.de, the f/1.4 is sharpest at f/5.6. Close ups such as yours, the f/2.5 is a bit extreme because of the very short DoF and while f/8 looks good, try again at f/4 to f/7.1. The other thing is the light in the bacground at f/8 is only slightly annoying at f/8, it is distracting at f/2.5

Which off camera flash did you get? Did you use TTL or manul settings?

The catch lights in #1 look as if the flash was on the hot shoe and dead on your dog. #2 looks like you bounced it from the hot shoe. #3 is a tad hot camera left. #4 is nicely done.

Good on ya for the first day out!!!

"(I don't have it), but according to the MTF charts on photozone.de, the f/1.4 is sharpest at f/5.6.
Close ups such as yours, the f/2.5 is a bit extreme because of the very short DoF and while f/8 looks good, try again at f/4 to f/7.1. "
Oh, really? Thanks for the info, I have not done any looking into that I just had someone mention that f/2.5 was good for portraits.

"The other thing is the light in the bacground at f/8 is only slightly annoying at f/8, it is distracting at f/2.5"
I'll keep an eye out for it, I didn't even really notice until now, thanks

"Which off camera flash did you get? Did you use TTL or manul settings?"
I had a heck of a time getting it to work. What I got is a sb600 with an off camera TTL cord. It's only about 2-3 feet long, but unfortunately thats one of the very few set ups that I could use with my D40. I was working with manual settings, I don't really like jumping into auto I like having more control and the understanding.

"The catch lights in #1 look as if the flash was on the hot shoe and dead on your dog."
I was experimenting with light catches, and unfortunately Fender (my dog) is in desperate need of a hair cut, his eye brows would block it unless it was very close to the lens (might as well have been mounted)

Thank you very much for all of your critiques!

I have an SB600 also, but fortuniately for me, I also have CLS capabilities. But all that aside, corded or not, you should have some great fun with yours.

One thing you will learn with flash and with your f/1.4, you don't have to shoot wide open to stop the action. I have only a measerly f/1.8, but rarely do I shoot any kind of people or pet shot wider than f/4. I want the nose and ears in focus. :lol: Give it a try for yourself.

You'll find out for yourself, but for a starter on protraits like you posted, try locating the flash camera right of left at about a 45 degrees and 18 inches above the head, use the attached diffuser and try TTL mode. Set your apeture and shutter speed to however you want to catch the ambient light.

Good luck and keep posting.

EDIT:
I just noticed your avatar. The SB-600 on hot shoe could have given you a better result. Remember, flash is not dedicated to indoors.

So with the 18 inches above are you still pointed directly at the subject, or bouncing?

And I just noticed that I have WAY too many pics of my dog, I'll look for some other subjects ha ha

Nothing wrong with using the dog..... mine gets pretty annoyed with me from time to time. :lol:

The 18" was just a rough "go to" sorta thing. Yes, I might aim the flash head directly at the subject in the beginning, but changing heights, angles, distances, modifiers is all part of the fun of flash photography. There's really no set rule, just trial and error until you get the results you want....... apart from being a strobist with exact predeterminents in mind.

When posting strobist type shots it's customary to include the flash information as well as the exif. What flash you're using, what power setting, diffuser used (if any), placement of the flash, etc...

You might want to drop the shutter speed to pick up some ambient light in the shots.

oh, good point. Does that information also get recorded like exif? Or do I just have to rely on the ol' pen and pad?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back