Contrary to Cloudwalker I find the B&W leaves me cold but the first shot is a great improvement over your first attempt. However, I would like to see more DOF because the pliers & stone are way too soft in my opinion.
Ron, still wondering how you get such soiled fingers with jewelery.
I think the color of my skin is too pink though. I prefer the b&w's myself.
Yes, the pliers are OOF. Again, focusing is guesswork. That was the best of that "pose". I can't work the camera and pose at the same time. I want very shallow DoF. I equate that to portraying concentration.
Making jewelery is dirty. Gold dust from 1000 grit sandpaper embeds itself into the skin. I work with waxes, oils, polishing compounds and metals. Metal dust isn't shiny and clean.
I'll do some more, stopped way down. These have been at 4.5 and 5.6.
This is an amazing subject to tackle. Well worth the effort no matter how it drives you nuts. Not to mention how much we drive you nuts too...
The more you post, the more I realize how hard this is. Actually an SOB kind of photo if you'll excuse my french.
Is it because what you want to see, and what I want to show you are different?
I love the last one you posted except that all we are seeing of you are knuckles. I and you know what the image is about and so we recognize the different elements but someone seeing this shot with no background info on it would go: ugh! Worms in my jewelry box!
I kinda like that one, simply for the forms. Also because the texture of my skin is similar to the texture of the wood benchpin. It demostrate what we are talking about though. Either you see the hands, or you see the jewelery, but not both. But think of these printed larger. The ring would be much more visible.
And, believe it or not, this is good. It gives us an idea which way to go from here.
This is great, whether I agree with you or not.
My newest idea is that you cannot be actually working on the ring. You need to really pose the image to get the combination. The final result will not make any sense to you or, probably, to any other person in your profession but so what?
Well, they are "working" poses. I am not actually working. Other than that, I am not sure I understand what you are trying to say.