Working Self "Portrait" C&C

Yes, I too really like the last two. Love them actually.

As I said doing those shots is hard. Mostly because you are subject and photographer. I would have been a lot easier if you could have kept your eye to the viewfinder... But I think you got great results with the last two. Are they what you were aiming for?

What I meant by "My newest idea is that you cannot be actually working on the ring" is that, sometimes, to get a good shot photo wise, the action needs to be wrong. Your fingers, let's say, would not do something that they would actually do if you were working on the piece but the photo looks good and only other jewelers would know that something is not quite right.

There was a good example of that a while back. It was a poster like photo of a soldier and he was holding a grenade. A few members who know weapons realized right away that there was a problem with the way the grenade was being held. Most members who responded did not. And the photog said he had done it on purpose to show off the grenade better.

I hope this explains better what I meant.

I understand what you meant now.
Ironically I was doing that to some degree.
With my only two choices for camera placement, I did have to face the camera, so to speak. The best view would be from my head, not from the left or right where my hands and fingers tend to hide the action.

I'll keep that in mind because camera on my left is difficult. I have to put my head under a shelf between the camera and a window, being careful not to disturb the tripod.

Glad I found a way to make it understandable.

Do keep in mind though that you probably would not want to do that for a photo going to a jewelry magazine...

Have you ever shot tethered? It might help in cases like this.

very unique... and great jewel... i like them both

Most reactions

Back