Working Self "Portrait" C&C

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Bitter Jeweler, Apr 3, 2010.

1. jajomo

jajomo TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I too am loving those dirty fingers..makes me think of my coal miner dad! I love when a photo makes me feel something that has nothing at all to do with the actual subject.

2. joeamy05

joeamy05 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like the first one better compositionally, but I do like the focus and desaturated color of the second one...both very nice shots.

3. JeffieLove

JeffieLove No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I think you need to wash your hands and put some lotion on them ;)

Other than that I like them though ;)

:gun:

4. Jon0807

Jon0807 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ditto. I do like the photo and the emotion behind it but the hammer does need more motion blur and fingers could be more in focus

5. Kansasdude

Kansasdude TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've got to agree with the others. I'm bothered by the fact the object the hammer is about to strike isn't in focus. Having the focus point on the jewelry takes away the impact (if you'll pardon the pun) of the shot.

6. RobNZ

RobNZ TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    1st shot as the others have said, I really like the composition but I am wanting to see your hand in focus a little more. Blur on the hammer is great.

2 kicks ass and its perfect, a shot I cant take in all at once even though I should be able too, it draws me in, good work.

7. Bitter Jeweler

Bitter Jeweler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the input!
    See, no matter how much you, as the artist, love something...I'll try this again and get detail on the fingers. After sleeping on it, I have to agree. :thumbup:

8. foned

foned TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i like the second one, more in focus, a little color..nice job.

9. LahPhotographer

LahPhotographer TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Exactly what I was trying to say... :D

10. PerfectlyFlawed

PerfectlyFlawed TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I love the blur of the hammer in the first shot.. you see the action, and you really concentrate on *what* is being done in the shot.Also, Your "man hands" (lol) really emphasize the whole thing as well...the B&W really works for this ( looks B&W on my side anyway, lol ).

Second shot is really cool...kind of as a "grunge" look to it -- i think. You really focus on what your doing--' Setting the stone'.
    The rough, cracked, dirty, "workers" ( man hands, if you will..lol) really compliment this.. and make the shot complete!

:thumbup:

11. Dominantly

Dominantly TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, isn't that just the most frustrating thing at times?

When I looked at the first photo, I got the feeling that you were drawing the attention to the ring where the punch was striking it. Just as you would see in person, everything else melts away the further it gets from that focal point. It would be unnatural any other way since we selectively focus with our own eyes anyway.

For the second, I would have to say that I love the gritty feel of it, and the sharp focus on the dirty fingers, plus you have some nice light going on there.

12. c.cloudwalker

c.cloudwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

I think I understand what the jeweler tried to show and if the shot was intended for a pro publication, it may have been good. I have a feeling however that even other jewelers may react the way I did (and most of the other viewers) when we're talking about a photo.

A ring is a ring is a ring but the person creating this ring is not just a run of the mill person. Even if it is just your dirty fingertips showing, they are much more interesting than the ring that can barely be seen.

Just a little background to help you understand what it is I'm talking about. My wife and I don't care about expensive stones. I guess you could say we like junk jewelry. As long as it says something to us. About life. About the artist. Etc.

Considering this, your photo's focus is wrong. The ring itself doesn't matter. The creator, the artist, is much more important. And, yes, your dirty fingertips would have been better in focus.

I find the possible human side of the image way more important that the stone side.