Working Self "Portrait" C&C

I like what you were going for. The hammer doesn't come off so much as motion blur as camera shake to me..it needs a smidge more blur...and those finger tips are crying for focus.

Ditto. I do like the photo and the emotion behind it but the hammer does need more motion blur and fingers could be more in focus

I like what you were going for. The hammer doesn't come off so much as motion blur as camera shake to me..it needs a smidge more blur...and those finger tips are crying for focus.

Ditto. I do like the photo and the emotion behind it but the hammer does need more motion blur and fingers could be more in focus
I've got to agree with the others. I'm bothered by the fact the object the hammer is about to strike isn't in focus. Having the focus point on the jewelry takes away the impact (if you'll pardon the pun) of the shot.

1st shot as the others have said, I really like the composition but I am wanting to see your hand in focus a little more. Blur on the hammer is great.

2 kicks ass and its perfect, a shot I cant take in all at once even though I should be able too, it draws me in, good work.

Thanks for the input!
See, no matter how much you, as the artist, love something...I'll try this again and get detail on the fingers. After sleeping on it, I have to agree. :thumbup:

I've got to agree with the others. I'm bothered by the fact the object the hammer is about to strike isn't in focus. Having the focus point on the jewelry takes away the impact (if you'll pardon the pun) of the shot.

Exactly what I was trying to say... :D

I love the blur of the hammer in the first shot.. you see the action, and you really concentrate on *what* is being done in the shot.Also, Your "man hands" (lol) really emphasize the whole thing as well...the B&W really works for this ( looks B&W on my side anyway, lol ).

Second shot is really cool...kind of as a "grunge" look to it -- i think. You really focus on what your doing--' Setting the stone'.
The rough, cracked, dirty, "workers" ( man hands, if you will..lol) really compliment this.. and make the shot complete!

:thumbup:

Thanks for the input!
See, no matter how much you, as the artist, love something...I'll try this again and get detail on the fingers. After sleeping on it, I have to agree. :thumbup:
Yeah, isn't that just the most frustrating thing at times?

When I looked at the first photo, I got the feeling that you were drawing the attention to the ring where the punch was striking it. Just as you would see in person, everything else melts away the further it gets from that focal point. It would be unnatural any other way since we selectively focus with our own eyes anyway.

For the second, I would have to say that I love the gritty feel of it, and the sharp focus on the dirty fingers, plus you have some nice light going on there.

I think I understand what the jeweler tried to show and if the shot was intended for a pro publication, it may have been good. I have a feeling however that even other jewelers may react the way I did (and most of the other viewers) when we're talking about a photo.

A ring is a ring is a ring but the person creating this ring is not just a run of the mill person. Even if it is just your dirty fingertips showing, they are much more interesting than the ring that can barely be seen.

Just a little background to help you understand what it is I'm talking about. My wife and I don't care about expensive stones. I guess you could say we like junk jewelry. As long as it says something to us. About life. About the artist. Etc.

Considering this, your photo's focus is wrong. The ring itself doesn't matter. The creator, the artist, is much more important. And, yes, your dirty fingertips would have been better in focus.

I find the possible human side of the image way more important that the stone side.

I really like #2, the composition and desaturation (is that a word?), and I didn't realize the jewelry was such a dirty job.

I like #2 the best. I do think you should put some lotion on your hands.. Do they get that dirty when you work? = ) Stock up on the lotion!!!:thumbup:

I think you need to wash your hands and put some lotion on them ;)

Other than that I like them though ;)

:gun:

Kansasdude, your pun is pardoned. :lol:

Whoever wanted more blur on the hammer...I do have a shot with more blur, but you really lose what it is.

bradleypics, being a jeweler is a very dirty job. :lol:

Sarah, Sunny, I hate lotion. I hate the feel of it on my skin and I want to wash it off immediately. Also, I can't hold tools, and control them if they are greasy. I wash my hands constantly, because I am very tactile. The dirt from sanding and polishing metal get way deep in the finger print and cracks, cuts, and abrasions, that it doesn't easily wash off.

Dom, c. cloud, yeah, I am dissapointed. I see what you are saying. I really thought about this and thought I pulled off my concept quite well, but I realize once you get a human part in the image, that kinda takes over. When I get a chance, I will definately reshoot this and work on the focal plane to include my fingers.

Honestly I should have realised this myself. I took some pics of other work processes, but my hands are farther away from the action, and I thought they were kinda boring. Duh.:er: Art is hard work!

What sort of pp did you do on the second? Looks like just desaturation and selective unsharp mask or multiply layer, but I could be wrong.

On the second one I made a B&W layer, that is sharpened, but I can't remember if I just did it as an overlay, or if I did "soft light" or something else. I lowered the transparancy, this effectively "desaturated" it, but gave the crisper dirty lines. then I I erased the ring area, to bring that back to normal color. It was merely personal preference. I liked it better than leaving it desaturated as well. I am not fond of selective color, but I do like playing with saturation levels. I call it "intensicolor". :p

Most reactions

Back