Worth it to go to college for film?

king718

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know this is photography forum. But I really need help!

I'm so much into film making/video editing/directing etc as of late. I've been staying all night learning and reading articles etc. I wanted to know if its worth it to go to school for it? I'm still a n00b don't know much but I'm willing to spend time on it. I've done editing 5 6 years ago. but completely forgot about it. And I just recently bought a camera and the love is back. I just want to learn everything there is about it.

So I'm wondering if its worth to go to college for it? I know they are expensive and its a competitive field. Is it better to learn everything on your own or to go to college for it instead? Which colleges would you recommend in Ny area for film?

I assume if I get good at it I can land internship or make some money with it as a job? I'm very grounded and though I would love to be a big time hollywood guy I know the possibilities of that. So don't think here we go another kid dreaming to be a big time hollywood guy lol as long as I can pay of the loans and have a average life I'd be happy. Because this is something I would def enjoy and love! Plus I plan on going back to my country and making movies for that genre because movies in my culture arent a big market. Its just starting up now and I've always dreamed of making movies there.

So is it worth it to go to college for film making? And if so which colleges are good in NY/NJ area. Thanks for the help guys! Looking forward to reading everyones replies!

Just so you know, I don't think this is the kind of 'film forum' you actually want. This is the 'Film as in the thing that would go in stills cameras as well as the movie cameras you should be familiar with' area.

It's an easy mistake to make but really you should have read around a little bit before posting!

P.S I can't help you!

Go west young man

Brooks or USC school of cinematic arts

Excerpts from this article about Brooks may give you some idea of whether a career in 'film' is feasible.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The report, by California's Bureau forPrivate Postsecondary and Vocational Education, concluded that theschool, the Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara, hadpersuaded prospective students to enroll by "willfullymisleading" them, "falsifying and omitting criticalinformation."
THE California bureau, in addition tofinding violations in Brooks's records, sent an employee to theschool, posing as a prospective student. The report said she was toldthat she could expect her starting salary to be "$50,000 to$150,000" in her first year after graduation from Brooks -enough to pay off the debt she would take on as a student. "Thesky's the limit," the admissions official said of her prospects,according to the report.
But the bureau's examination ofBrooks's records found not one 2003 graduate at any degree levelwhose reported wages and employment tenure were enough to generateeven $50,000 of earning potential.
Indeed, of the 45 graduates reported byBrooks as employed full time, the average income was about $26,000,the report said. The average indebtedness of this group was around$74,000.
Projecting future high salaries forgraduates was not the only way Brooks's officials misled students,according to the report. They also presented false and misleadinginformation on the availability of jobs, and the career placementservices that would be provided, it said.

That would be the outcome of many Art or Music schools. Most people do not make a living from it. Though some do. I do know a lot of Brooks grads, but they work in Photography Software field

I worked in the LA motion picture industry for about 15 years, mostly in rather menial positions, both behind and in front of the camera.

If you are thinking of working as a cinematographer, editor or director in Hollywood, you are among millions of hopefuls competing for a
handful of jobs. Jobs that mostly go to relatives and "close friends" of established pros in the industry.

If that is your idea of a fun life -- go for it. Or, you can save a lot of money by staying home and bashing your head against the nearest
wall over and over.

However, if you would be satisfied working 12-16 hour days or longer doing such glamorous things as lugging heavy equipment around, driving
trucks, building sets, working on rickety scaffolding at great heights, eating dust in 100-degree heat, working around explosives and
dangerous animals & insects, rigging high voltage equipment in the rain and an endless variety of other such fun activities -- come to Hollywood
and work for years at under-minimum wage until you get your big break to join a union and compete for union-wage jobs ... which aren't there anymore because they've been outsourced to Canada.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back