Would a super-zoom be a mistake?

Leftyplayer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My story is that I plan to take photography back up as a hobby. I don't expect I'll ever make a penny out of it and I'm currently tight on cash (who isn't? :mrgreen:) so my budget is $450 and under.

It's unlikely that I'll ever be able to play the "lens game" as important as I know it is to have various quality lenses. If I ever can do DSLR, then I could start over. For now, I'm not there.

Sooooo, I'm thinking of getting one of those super-zoom cameras (I think that's what I'm seeing them being called). Specifically, am considering Fujifilm FinePix S2500HD, Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX1, Nikon Coolpix L110 ... or something along these lines.

These seem to have a lot of cool tricks ... but ... clearly the image quality suffers in comparison to the "real deal". I've been able to find image comparisons among these cameras, but not image comparisons between them and DSLR's with good lens to assess just how much I'd be losing. If these cameras are just too crappy with image sharpness and contract, what else would you suggest that keeps me within budget?

Types of photography I enjoy: Street photography/candid portraits, macro and action/motion (animals/athletic events).

Thank you for any advice. I'm new, so go easy :D

I have the Samsung Pro815. For being a non-SLR digital camera, it sure does have alot of the same features as the DSLR's. It has 28-420mm zoom, which is plenty to get you whatever picture you would like. I'm debating selling mine, since I just got a Canon Digital Rebel.

The key is, you dont need the fancy equipment to just take pictures for a hobby. Get whatever you feel comfortable buying and using.

If its in your budget and you dont think your budget will move, then it is a decent choice.

There are some good ones out there, and most of them provide the manual settings that will allow you to control aperture, shutter and ISO. It may not be as easy as on a dSLR where you simply turn a knob or push a button, but you can get there.

Thanks. That's makes me feel a bit better. My budget's definitely what it is for now, so it's good to know that if I learn to tweak, I can get decent photos.

Olympus - E-System E-520 SLR Digital Camera w/ 14-42mm - 262090

This is, for example, a GREAT kit for only 30 dollars more than you're budget. You get a DSLR and two zoom lenses that assure a very wide range, and the quality is exellent for the price. In my opinion, the package is a better value than any other super-zoom camera. Even if you are only going to do photos as a hobby, if you are really interested in understanding and using photographic technique, you will soon be whishing you had gone for a DSLR.

Olympus makes great cameras and their kits are priced very well and offer great value. Check out some reviews.

But olympus is not the only option out there, you can get a refurbished or used basic dslr for 300 bucks + a kit zoom lens + a 50m 1.8 lens for under 450, and i am convinced you will not regret leaving the super zoomcamera in the store.

It is ultimately you're decision, but in IMO super zoom cameras are made for the kind of user who really dosn't care what he's doing but only wants to get the picture done. They are bulky so you don't get the benefit of portability and the image quality is often sacrificed in favor of the outstanding pecs. It's really an all in one option that gives you much less than even a basic Reflex camera.

Seriously, if you look into it i am sure you can find a good kit under you're budget and you will be extremley happy. If PHOTOGRAPHY is what you want to do then a Dslr is the way to go.

Might i ad that this all comes from personal experience? I bought a superzoom camera a few years ago a 12 moths later i was already in the buy for a dslr because i needed the technical instruments that only a reflex camera could give me, to fully enjoy taking photos. So at the end of the day if i had gone for a reflex straight away i would have saved alot of money. I am giving you a chance to not repeat my mistake :)

Take care,

Pete

EDIT: Here is an other example, now in this case i am not familiar with the camera but the reviews semm good and the price is exellent.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/622214-REG/Sony_DSLRA230L_Alpha_A230_Digital_SLR.html#reviews

On a last note, you might want to check out the used deparment of B&H, one word : SUPERB VALUES and great quality.

here a link with used cameras in you're budget :http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=15488&N=4294182649+4293918168

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back