What's new

would anyone like you donate?

dearlybeloved

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Dec 22, 2009
Messages
511
Reaction score
41
Location
Auburn, AL
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'll be upfront about this, I just got a student loan check for enough money to pick up a few lenses for a d300 I bought a little while ago. I had to sell my d90 a while ago to someone on the forum because of my financial situation at the time. Anyway, I just picked up a few lenses and I've been doing some portraits for friends to use on Facebook and some daytime landscape shots and was wondering if anyone had any filters they would want to donate. I don't have any money at the moment and wanted to get some uv filters for the lenses and maybe a nd and cpl for daytime landscapes and portraits.

Once I get a few extra bucks I'd be more than happy to give whoever donates a filter some money for their help, but for now I don't really have anything to offer.

I figured I'd you guys and one day when I can repay the favor to someone else I would like to because of all of the love you guys have already shown me.

Anyways, thanks to those of for you for your help with tips and tricks!
 
I would skip the UV filters.

You can get really cheap ND and CPL filters online as well. They won't have the quality of a LEE filter but they will work. I don't have any sub-$100 filters that I could give away. :(
 
I appreciate the info. I actually would like to have the uv filters as a protection rather than for its advertised use. But the cpl and nd would be used for portraits and outdoor. I'm going to keep watching on ebay and see if I can find a set for cheap but I don't really have the available funds right now. I kinda made a risky decision by spending out on the lenses, but I felt like I could take that risk right now without much, if any, blowback.
 
PM me with your lens filter diameters and I'll see what I can do. I have plenty of unused filters stored in boxes. If I have some of the right sizes, I could send you a couple or three.
 
Thanks Derrel! You've helped me out with your insight for years and I appreciate the love you extend to this community. I'll shoot you a PM now.
 
I appreciate the info. I actually would like to have the uv filters as a protection rather than for its advertised use. But the cpl and nd would be used for portraits and outdoor. I'm going to keep watching on ebay and see if I can find a set for cheap but I don't really have the available funds right now. I kinda made a risky decision by spending out on the lenses, but I felt like I could take that risk right now without much, if any, blowback.

I never leave home without one ;)
 
lens hood >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> UV filter for protection.
 
I use a lens hood on the lenses I have them for but sometimes my camera is around my shoulder when it walk around and I dangles around and I'm always afraid my keys or someone else will walk by and scratch a lens. I'd just feel more comfortable with a barrier between the outside world and my glass. As already stated above, I don't have much money right now and repairing or replacing a lense would not even be an option right now.
 
I have some 52mm CPL's and UV's laying around somewhere you can have.
What lenses do you have exactly?
 
You know, Derrel. I'll take any Heliopan CPLs you might have lying around. No need to send a Hoya or Tiffen just the Heliopans will be fine.

I mean. Since you're just giving away filters and all.
 
Don't waste effort on filters for 'protection'. They often cause front glass element scratches/gouges when they break, get stuck on the lens, and often cause other image quality degrading issues like lens flare and softened focus, than they prevent:

LensRentals.com - Front Element Scratches


Canon Glass - YouTube

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...e-pics-you-will-not-believe-what-problem.html
I've kept filters on my lenses for 40 years and haven't damaged one yet. I kept a lot of glass in like-new condition, but never damaged one. "To each his own" I guess
 
What filters DO keep safe are the filter rings... I once dropped a BRAND-NEW 55mm f/2.8 Ai-S Micro~Nikkor on some university high-pressure concrete-and-steel stairs...dinged the filter ring up 'cause there was no filter...then, this August, my 24-105 f/4 L IS USM Canon lens FELL OFF THE friggin' 5D body...uh-huh...it FELL OFF the body and the lens nose-dived on top of my elliptical machine's plastic-ish wheel housing and chipped out a 6mm x 6mm x 3mm (apprx) traingular chunk of filter ring....shaped kind of like a slightly-irregularly-shaped Dorito's chip...only not cheesy,not crunchy,not orange...but black, and bitter...NO FILTER...dangit...

25 years ago, my 35/1.4 Nikkor took a BAD fall...with no filter on it...had to have the front ring un-dinged...so...filters protect the filter ring quite,quite well...

I have some 52mm's and a 77 UB for ya, Dave
 
What filters DO keep safe are the filter rings... I once dropped a BRAND-NEW 55mm f/2.8 Ai-S Micro~Nikkor on some university high-pressure concrete-and-steel stairs...dinged the filter ring up 'cause there was no filter...then, this August, my 24-105 f/4 L IS USM Canon lens FELL OFF THE friggin' 5D body...uh-huh...it FELL OFF the body and the lens nose-dived on top of my elliptical machine's plastic-ish wheel housing and chipped out a 6mm x 6mm x 3mm (apprx) traingular chunk of filter ring....shaped kind of like a slightly-irregularly-shaped Dorito's chip...only not cheesy,not crunchy,not orange...but black, and bitter...NO FILTER...dangit...

25 years ago, my 35/1.4 Nikkor took a BAD fall...with no filter on it...had to have the front ring un-dinged...so...filters protect the filter ring quite,quite well...

I have some 52mm's and a 77 UB for ya, Dave
We'll have to chip​ in and get you some solvent for those butterfingers of yours! :D
 
25 years ago, my 35/1.4 Nikkor took a BAD fall...with no filter on it...had to have the front ring un-dinged...so...filters protect the filter ring quite,quite well...

Pull the glass out of the filter, leave the ring? I did that on one of my lenses to accommodate a clip-on hood better.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom