Would love some advice, going to buy a digital SLR!

sirux

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, well I just got into photography a few years ago and bought a Nikon S550 digital camera last year and it actually broke this year.

I was looking to spend, MAX, $800 CAD for a camera and lens.
I'll probably buy whatever I am buying, USED...

Now I'm not looking to buy a crapload of lens.. Just something to take pictures of landscape and everyday things, would love to take pictures of nighttime landscape which my nikon s550 REALLY failed at hehe.

Was looking at either a Canon xsi or a xti
Or a nikon D60 or something similar..
What camera should I get and what specific lens should I look for?

Thanks a ton guys.. I hope I get some good advice =)

See if you can find a nice used Nikon D80, it will allow you to autofocus older lenses than the D60 which 'could' save you some money in the long run.

From my experience, a single walkaround lens like the Nikon 35-70 is really nice, or the Sigma 18-250. If you want to do night photography I'd also recommend a nice tripod.

Any of those 3 DSLRs would be fine. All 3 are good entry level DSLRs.

Going with the kit lens would be okay at first but you may want to get other lenses in the future that meet your needs better.

One thing you'll want to do is see how the camera body feels in your hands and how you like the control layout. To some people the Nikon bodies feel better in their hands. To other people the Canon bodies feel better.

Any of those 3 DSLRs would be fine. All 3 are good entry level DSLRs.

Going with the kit lens would be okay at first but you may want to get other lenses in the future that meet your needs better.

One thing you'll want to do is see how the camera body feels in your hands and how you like the control layout. To some people the Nikon bodies feel better in their hands. To other people the Canon bodies feel better.

Was looking in getting the Canon Rebel xsi body new and getting a used lens.

What would be an ideal lens for myself for now?
Canon 17-85mm IS (image stabilization) USM F4.5-6 lens?
Thanks!

What are you hoping to shoot?
I say get a Canon XTi (450 D) its what i have therefore all i can give my true opinion on...
And buy a 50mm f1.8 II for $100 and get a 75-300mm USM Lens (if you want to get close up shots of things about 1000 ft away.) i got mines for $80 because the Auto focus wasn't working.

xti, is the way to go.. I woulda loved liveview which the xsi offers..
What do you think?

The Canon 40D is still probably one of the best used deals on the market right now thanks to Canon releasing the 50D less than a year after the 40D.

Hi, well I just got into photography a few years ago and bought a Nikon S550 digital camera last year and it actually broke this year.

I was looking to spend, MAX, $800 CAD for a camera and lens.
I'll probably buy whatever I am buying, USED...

Now I'm not looking to buy a crapload of lens.. Just something to take pictures of landscape and everyday things, would love to take pictures of nighttime landscape which my nikon s550 REALLY failed at hehe.

Was looking at either a Canon xsi or a xti
Or a nikon D60 or something similar..
What camera should I get and what specific lens should I look for?
Thanks a ton guys.. I hope I get some good advice =)

The Canon XSI and Nikon D60 and kit lens should be in your price range. Either one is a very decent camera. It really deppends on which one feels better to you. The US obviously has more sources for buying and not sure what the stores up there are like though. The D60 and Canon XSI are in most department stores and discount stores in the US (maybe same in Canada?). So, even if you didn't buy there, you can at least go in and handle them and see if you like one over the other.

I say get a Canon XTi (450 D) its what i have therefore all i can give my true opinion on...
The XTi is known as the 400D outside of the USA. If you have a 450D you have a XSi.

sirux: You might want to look at the Canon XS (1000D) too. You could just get the body (which should be fairly inexpensive) and put more money into a good lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back