Would these lens fit a Nikon D40?

Anyone willing to answer or help me?
Thank you.

Telephoto is a long distance or a "zoom" lens. Your camera doesnt have a focus motor built in. So if you want auto focus, the lens either has the be AF-s or USM. Those kinds of lenses have the focus motor built in.

So I just got a 55mm lens for the Nikon D40. What other lens should I think about getting?

Thank you.
you mean you got the 18-55 VR? if that's what you got, i would play with that for a while to get used to your camera and the lens. for most purposes you'll get a lot of mileage with that lens and with the D40 camera. I have the non-VR 18-55 lens that came with my D40 and later I got the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. If I could do it again, I'd probably go for the 18-55 VR or 18-200 VR (and not get the 55-200 VR). The 17-50 f/2.8 is a sharp and fast lens but, for most of my purposes, the VR would be better than an extra stop or two of aperture, and my pics are usually only seen on the computer, so the extra sharpness of the 17-50 isn't that much of an advantage. If I were to get another lens now, it'd probably be a wide angle, like a 12-24 or 10-20, most likely the Tokina or Sigma models compatible with the D40.

Last edited:
Hello,
Thank you for that site. It's really helpful.

So, I'm guessing that you're suggesting to consider lens with a wider view...?
Does it have to be Sigma? What other brands can I consider?

In addition, I found these lens: 500mm Mirror Lens for Nikon D40 D60 D70 D80 D90
What are mirror lens? What is telephoto? Is it some kind of zoom feature?

Once again, I apologize for the questions, but I got to learn somehow!

Thank you.
Mirror lenses are either hit or miss. Some manufactures make good ones but, as a general rule most arent that great.
Yes you can manually focus any non AF-S lens. I think I saw where some people said they used the focus indicator in the view finder. The green dot would show when it was focused. But dont quote me on that.
Also there are split screens that you can add to aid in focusing. You may want to go ahead and join the Nikonians and, ask in the D40/60 forums about techiques on manually focusing.

Great.
Thank you for the response, I really appreciate it.
No, I didn't get the VR lens. I wish I did. They look like they'll work pretty well.
It was a little too pricey. I just opted for something cheaper.

I'll take a look at some other lens. I'll join Nikonians as well.

Thank you again.

I found this on ebay: Quantaray 55-200mm f/4-5.6 LD DiO AF
Would these fit/work with my Nikon D40?

Most reactions

Back