would this speedlight be compatible for a Nikon D500

[pt QUOTE="jcdeboever, [/QUOTE]
Oh my what a very very kind offer... but no I would not accept such a gift..I know these lenses go for $60 up on ebay ...and i know how we all struggle and juggle to keep our hobby alive... and I know how each and every piece of our equipment is needed at that precise time... I thank you from the bottom of my heart and especially sweet to hear this at xmas time.. I will get one .. for sure.. just will take a little bit of time because I am already bidding on another lens on ebay..thank you so much.. I am learning and this is so good.. and that Ken Rockwell is very interesting read..

Its a wonderful piece of glass, seriously. The focal length is weird to my eyes so I tend shy away from it. Im a 50 guy. The 85 is somewhat normal, the 135 is annoying but the line draw slaps me upside my head. I look like a disco dancer when the 100 is on my body.
we need a photo!! lol

It has been many years since I have seen a Nikon SB 25, but I seem to remember that at ISO 100 you have two color-coded automatic f/stops, probably F 2.8 and F 5.6. At 200 or 400 these f-stops get smaller correspondingly. This will allow you to shoot what is now called Auto aperture. Set your camera to the synchronization speed or slower and set your lens f-stop to the correct color mode value. Set the switch, and then you are in what we call auto flash mode. This in my opinion is easier than TTL, and it allows you to quote lie to The Flash and make changes to the f-stop or to the iso setting and correct exposure situations that sometimes arise. If your photos are Overexposed , and you are using the blue mode, and it says blue is f 2.8 then set your lens to a smaller aperture or lower the iso value of the camera. Boom. Exposure correction made easy. An SB 25 might easily date to the Ronald Reagan Era, so make sure it is working 100% correctly, and make sure the seller will take a return. My Nikon SB 16 which is from the Reagan Era still works, but I have a Vivitar 285 HV from the same time, and it does not function, but its two brothers do...

what, for free stuff? OK...
It has been many years since I have seen a Nikon SB 25, but I seem to remember that at ISO 100 you have two color-coded automatic f/stops, probably F 2.8 and F 5.6. At 200 or 400 these f-stops get smaller correspondingly. This will allow you to shoot what is now called Auto aperture. Set your camera to the synchronization speed or slower and set your lens f-stop to the correct color mode value. Set the switch, and then you are in what we call auto flash mode. This in my opinion is easier than TTL, and it allows you to quote lie to The Flash and make changes to the f-stop or to the iso setting and correct exposure situations that sometimes arise. If your photos are Overexposed , and you are using the blue mode, and it says blue is f 2.8 then set your lens to a smaller aperture or lower the iso value of the camera. Boom. Exposure correction made easy. An SB 25 might easily date to the Ronald Reagan Era, so make sure it is working 100% correctly, and make sure the seller will take a return. My Nikon SB 16 which is from the Reagan Era still works, but I have a Vivitar 285 HV from the same time, and it does not function, but its two brothers do...

That's how I use my older flashes on my D610 or F film bodies. Works great.

I have decided not to pursue this one on ebay..I was mainly interested in the lens they were selling along with it..now I realize I do not want an old flash for my new camera... I had visions of electric shorts buzzing and damaging my camera... I will buy a new one..it will be under warranty etc and be up to date...new or old lenses is a different thing..i know some of the older lenses are superior in a lot of ways compared to the new. lenses..it seems to me every new modern electronic device that they produce..they might add but they also subtract...I thank you for all your help//I would not understand any of this without help''as long as I decided to buy new what power type will be just right for a d500..there are so many power sizes..

one more last question.. tried to find this info ...but no luck.. and I am running out of time if I want it.. will a Sigma80 -200mm Telephoto Zoom Lens skylight 52mm be compatible with my Nikon d500.. or should I stick to the Nikon built .. thanks in advance.. sorry I am all over the place with questions..

I've had horrible experiences with Sigma, I would pass.

..what power type will be just right for a d500..there are so many power sizes..
I don't understand your question.

Why think about the power of a speedlight? To me, it is more about their technology rather than the power level.

Unless you are talking about the color shift at low power settings, in which case, go for a higher-end speedlight, one that will be consistently the same color at all settings.

BTW: I have bought a new Nikon SB-910, and they have an impressive list of capabilities, but they are expensive. I've also bought several older Nikon Speedlights, which I use in manual mode. Any perceived power differences, if any, would have to be measured with a sophisticated measuring device, which I do not own.

I would just select one based on the features I need rather than the power level.

..what power type will be just right for a d500..there are so many power sizes..

Why think about the power of a speedlight? To me, it is more about their technology rather than the power level.

Unless you are talking about the color shift at low power settings, in which case, go for a higher-end speedlight, one that will be consistently the same color at all settings.

BTW: I have bought a new Nikon SB-910, and they have an impressive list of capabilities, but they are expensive. I've also bought several older Nikon Speedlights, which I use in manual mode. Any perceived power differences, if any, would have to be measured with a sophisticated measuring device, which I do not own.

I would just select one based on the features I need rather than the power level.
your right I asked this incorrectly about the power.... my question is what new speedlight would go with my Nikon d500 because I do not know the fit that would actually match .. there are so many ... I am confused.. thanks

your right I asked this incorrectly about the power.... my question is what new speedlight would go with my Nikon d500 because I do not know the fit that would actually match .. there are so many ... I am confused.. thanks
and the other reason you don't understand my question.. is that I am learning and sometimes it is hard to ask a question and put it in the right context. lol. sorry.. I even mix myself up.. but I am learning.. probably should have known all this already but the more you go the more you want to go.. at least that's how I feel....

..what new speedlight would go with my Nikon d500 because I do not know the fit that would actually match .. there are so many ... I am confused.. thanks
Understandably. If you don't get a Nikon Speedlight, then you have to see somewhere that it will work with Nikon. Whether it will do iTTL or not is another question.

The first qualification is the arrangement of the pins in the hotshoe. The second question is whether it claims to work with your Nikon camera in "auto" mode.

I don't have experience with third-party flashes, so I can't give you a definitive answer. My recommendation is to get a Nikon Speedlight. Maybe a used one if your budget is tight. If you can stretch your budget, look for a used SB-910. I don't fool around with auctions, I just see one I like and "buy it now".

..what new speedlight would go with my Nikon d500 because I do not know the fit that would actually match .. there are so many ... I am confused.. thanks
Understandably. If you don't get a Nikon Speedlight, then you have to see somewhere that it will work with Nikon. Whether it will do iTTL or not is another question.

The first qualification is the arrangement of the pins in the hotshoe. The second question is whether it claims to work with your Nikon camera in "auto" mode.

I don't have experience with third-party flashes, so I can't give you a definitive answer. My recommendation is to get a Nikon Speedlight. Maybe a used one if your budget is tight. If you can stretch your budget, look for a used SB-910. I don't fool around with auctions, I just see one I like and "buy it now".
I am going to get a Nikon Speedlight.. I may even get the one you suggested.. not too bad a price if I plan ahead..thanks

Most reactions

Back