Would you buy a used lens?

cumi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Some lens I would like to have are really over my budget (like Nikkor 85mm 1.8 (€ 600) or Nikkor 80-200 2.8 (€ 1200). I can find on internet these lens used (ebay or even in some local stores) for less than a half prize.

What do you think? Any experiences with used equipment?

Thanks

All of my lenses but two have been used, including a Canon 85mm/f1.8 and 50mm/f1.4. But you do have to be careful or take a risk when choosing. All of my film bodies, including a Canon Elan, A2e, and EOS-5 have been used.

The only real issues I've had with used were that the 50mm and EOS-5 needed cleaning when I got them (gunk on them), which wasn't stated in the auction, and the 50mm had a screw get loose inside after about a year, but it was an easy fix to do myself.

Interesting post...

I haven't had any experience buying used but I wouldn't think it'd be TOO big of a deal as long as you'd use some common sense.

I'm sure people upgrade lenses, bodies, etc. or switch systems constantly so I could easily understand where there'd be a market for good quality used equip. I might have to check out Ebay too sometime.

Four of the lenses in my bag were purchased used on Ebay. Have never had trouble with any of them. The only uncomfortable moment I had with one of these purchases, was seeing how the seller packaged my Sigma 400mm f/5.6… He wrapped it several layers of newspaper, then stuck it in a manila envelope! Aggh! By all rights, it should have been broken. But miraculously, it survived shipping without so much as a smudge.

Anyway, as long as you take reasonable precautions, buying used can save you a ton of money.

Of my three lenses, one was bought new (50mm f/1.8), one was purchased refurbished (18-55mm), and one was purchased used (18-70mm). I can't tell any difference between the three of them. I've got no objection to used glass.

Almost all of my lenses have been used. They are just too pricey new.

Buy from a reputable seller on e-bay (if that is what you are going to do.)
Anything else can be a shot in the dark. Not wise!

Check for smoothness of movement, discolored and/or scratched glass, and of course everyone's favorite: Fungus! I have had two experiences with old lenses w/fungus. One was sold, the other repaired.

Just stay away from the "two good to be true" category. Like a Minolta 85mm Portrait lens in good shape for $50.00 US.

If ebay seems a bit chancy, there are large photo houses that sell used equipment with some sort of guarantee. Bargains are fewer, though.

Are there links anyone could provide?

Torus34 said:
If ebay seems a bit chancy, there are large photo houses that sell used equipment with some sort of guarantee. Bargains are fewer, though.

IM not sure that in thirty years I ever bought a new lens.... No wait JC Penny was going out of the camera business and I bought a generic zoom from them.

And I did buy one from a camera shop before ebay, but that was stupid of me. At the time there wasn't a lens of the focal length around that wasn't new.

I'm happier paying a percentage more for used lenses from KEH than I am buying from an unknown dealer on ebay - regardless of the ebay rep. You can get good deals, but I'm more comfortable with KEH, who have a great return policy as well as a pretty darn conservative rating system. I've bought 3 used lenses there for my Mamiya 645, nothing rated under "Good" or "Exc" and in all instances they looked virtually new! :thumbup:

I've bought many used without issue. I've also found Nikon stuff to be all but bulletproof.

LWW

All my lenses are used. I got a m42 adapter for my canon and now i use old manual lenses. No autofocus, but often excellent image quality. And they are cheap. Though ive heard that the metering doesnt work on nikon cameras, but it works on canon.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back