would you do it?

Christina

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Recently I recieved an email from a college friend who asked me If i would be willing to photograph a wedding for $950.00. for a friend of hers. Thats it, no details.

So i asked her the specifics, and i got "its in daytona, We dont have a date set, and I told her about you."

so consider this.

1)You have shot one wedding - they know that and have seen your work from that.

2) You have to travel about 1hr-2hr away.

3) you only ask $525.00 for your biggest package ( and they just offered $950.00 )

4) you know nothing about the bride, but you were refered by mouth...

I know it sounds like their should be no decision, but for some reason Im hesitating. I know i'll have plenty of time to get more & more time in with my camera before then, but there is just something i cant put my finger on that makes me hesitate.

what would you do?

I'd speak with the B/G and show them the first wedding results. They maybe cool, and they may be picky and you won't know w/o talking to them. If they want to hire you w/o seeing your pics, I think that hints at some future problems. I think a lot of people think just b/c you have a DSLR you're automatically qualified. Some will assume that anyone can take pics like Michael Grecco if they wanted.

I'd proceed w/ caution even though it may work out to be a positive experience for you both.

Again. Get with the bride or groom on this. Make sure all the details are very, very clear. This should eliminate any questions. Sounds like a great opportunity.

Love & Bass

spend 200$ and hire an assistant who can teach you something at the same time. Youll still pocket more money, but youll have peace of mind

i have done 3 weddings and have 3 booked.

my first thought would be WOW thats nearly double my package [ my dearest is 350 pounds. dont know what that is in dollars]

but i would not do it without meeting them showing them my stuff seeing how picky they are and possibly doing an pre wedding shot.

let us know what you decide.

Make sure they read and understand your contract when you meet them. (drive over for this- it's not that far) Scope out the venue while you are there and sell them an engagement shoot. (to pay for the gas ;))

Go, do it. If this is something you're planning on doing for a (part-time) living then you can't turn down work. Unless it's just a hobby.

For that price, I'd hesitate just like you :D

It sounds like you're being hired on as the sole wedding photographer. With only one wedding under your wing, it's no surprise that it might be a little intimidating, especially given the compensation they're offering compared to what you would normally charge. I'm a slight perfectionist, so I'd be analyzing and re-analyzing everything.

"Can I get enough good shots to satisfy them and justify the price?"

"How am I going to make sure I can be in the right spot for every important moment?"

"Do I have enough equipment to cover every possible glitch or unexpected event?"

I would definitely talk to the bride and/or groom to get all of the specifics. I hate relying on a go-between anyhow, because they always omit certain details or don't relay messages quite as accurately as I'd like. That might be the very reason you feel reluctant. Just not being 100% "In the Know" always makes me hesitate.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back