Would you go back in time???

I'm very happy to see there are one or two dinosaurs around! lol

I should also add, I'm not exactly a dinosaur yet going by age. (Not saying the other two people are either! )
I guess maybe my head is old??? It's like when I was say 16 to 18 and said I would never be like the oldies (parents) and stop listening to modern music. Hardly know any musicians 2 to 3 years after that time! Family member got tickets to go see Ed Sheeran. I said, "Who?"
I had to go ask a family member again who it was to type this post and google for name spelling! :lol:

I'm very happy to see there are one or two dinosaurs around! lol

I haven't shot film in a long, long, long time but that is going to change.

I could write a book why I would love to obliterate digital photography from planet Earth. I'll just post my own personal experience to keep things a little shorter.

I can look through my film images and pick many, many images that I worked very hard to achieve. Images that even if they may not be the best, they are images I can say I am certainly proud of, images that give me some self satisfaction. There is a story to tell behind each one, what it took to get it to where it is. Film photography took work, it took skill, it required knowledge, it required the ability to see. When it all came together and the result was a success, there is no better feeling.
Since I moved to digital, off the top of my head, I can't think of one single digital image I've ever taken that has those same emotions behind it. Every photo is just blah! It's all way too easy. For me digital photography simply has no soul. It shows in others work too, everywhere.

I could go on forever! Even the little things, things you can get totally silly about, they are also a backward step. Slapping a memory card into a digital camera it's just not the same as slapping in a roll of film, pulling the leader across and shutting the back. It was more fun! With film it felt like you were getting ready to take photos! After I put my memory card in my digital camera...well...the memory card is in the digital camera I guess. Blah!

Looking through my digital images and I can pick many, many images that I worked very hard to achieve. Images that may not be the best, but that I am certainly proud of; images that give me self satisfaction. They all tell a story, what it took to bring them to fruition. Digital photography takes work, it takes skill, it requires knowledge, and it requires the ability to see. When it all come together and the result is a success, there is no better feeling.

I like film too (I'm scanning some as I type this), but digital extends my capabilities and allows me to take photos that aren't possible with film.

I don't think you're identifying a difference that exists in the tools, just a difference that exists in you. So, by all means obliterate digital photography from your life if you wish. That's easy enough, but don't tell me what to do. I don't want to obliterate film photography. I like them both.

Joe

I don't think you're identifying a difference that exists in the tools, just a difference that exists in you. So, by all means obliterate digital photography from your life if you wish. That's easy enough, but don't tell me what to do. I don't want to obliterate film photography. I like them both.

You are taking things too seriously! I'm not telling anyone what to do. I'm throwing out things to ponder and have a little fun discussion with. Sheesh. Gonna be a short stay here. Digital mindset maybe and mine is one of carefree film??? ;)

You are taking things too seriously! I'm not telling anyone what to do. I'm throwing out things to ponder and have a little fun discussion with. Sheesh. Gonna be a short stay here. Digital mindset maybe and mine is one of carefree film??? ;)

Oh OK. I'll lighten up. But you sound awfully confused. Now film is carefree whereas a couple posts ago digital was "...all way too easy" and film "...took work, it took skill, it required knowledge..." Now you did just tell me all of my digital photography has no soul, but you were just joking right -- no reason for me to take exception. I spend a lot of time with folks who use film and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Sorry you haven't had any success with digital cameras, really sounds like a competency problem; you can get help with that. ;)

Joe

I currently have two 35mm cameras loaded with film, that after 3 months I've yet to finish a roll in either, despite my best intentions. The flexibility, ease of use, and the immediate result, of digital makes it hard. So from a photography standpoint nope I'll stay in this time. Now if I could go back 50 years and maintain knowledge of what Google, Microsoft, and a few others would become, and a few thousand dollars to invest, then yup sign me up.

Sorry you haven't had any success with digital cameras, really sounds like a competency problem; you can get help with that. ;)

Joe

Joe, may you enjoy both your film and digital. I'll see if I can find some good digital tips. :icon_thumleft:

Sorry you haven't had any success with digital cameras, really sounds like a competency problem; you can get help with that. ;)

Joe

Joe, may you enjoy both your film and digital. I'll see if I can find some good digital tips. :icon_thumleft:

I'm here -- just ask. Oh and how about that -- I'm from Pittsburgh (born and raised).

Joe

I'm from Pittsburgh (born and raised).

Joe

lol
Really? Wow! I was looking at the St. Louis and thinking to myself I hope this guy follows hockey so I can give it to him at some point! Don't start making me like you now! :BangHead:
Thanks for the offer of help. I'll keep it in mind. See you posted some pics, I'll be away for a day or two after I post this but I'll see if I can drop a comment or two when I get back.

I could write a book why I would love to obliterate digital photography from planet Earth. I'll just post my own personal experience to keep things a little shorter.

I can look through my film images and pick many, many images that I worked very hard to achieve. Images that even if they may not be the best, they are images I can say I am certainly proud of, images that give me some self satisfaction. There is a story to tell behind each one, what it took to get it to where it is. Film photography took work, it took skill, it required knowledge, it required the ability to see. When it all came together and the result was a success, there is no better feeling.
Since I moved to digital, off the top of my head, I can't think of one single digital image I've ever taken that has those same emotions behind it. Every photo is just blah! It's all way too easy. For me digital photography simply has no soul. It shows in others work too, everywhere.

I could go on forever! Even the little things, things you can get totally silly about, they are also a backward step. Slapping a memory card into a digital camera it's just not the same as slapping in a roll of film, pulling the leader across and shutting the back. It was more fun! With film it felt like you were getting ready to take photos! After I put my memory card in my digital camera...well...the memory card is in the digital camera I guess. Blah!

Well said!

Joe

Joe, I feel the same as @F5 Penguin in terms of my greater enjoyment of the film process and the emotional response to film images that I don't feel for digital images, but what you wrote here is exactly why I responded the way I did to this question. If digital photography were erased from history, it would only minimally affect me (I'd have to learn wet printing, for example!) BUT I know there are not only people like you, who know and enjoy both, but also people who never responded to film they way they do to digital.

I'm here -- just ask. Oh and how about that -- I'm from Pittsburgh (born and raised).

Joe

Huh! Did I know this and forget? I'm not born and raised, but I spent 4 years there for grad school, and I still talk about how my hair needs cut and I need to red up the room :D

So, @F5 Penguin - In addition to still shooting film and not knowing/caring who Ed Sheeran is, I also like hockey and the Pens are second only to my beloved Rangers, so we should be good ;)

ETA: Though just a word for the OP on the film vs digital discussion and the TPF community: it's been done to death here, and it's a conversation that can go (and has gone) south very very easily, so it's best to tread lightly.

Last edited:
I'm with Joe. I shoot both, digital is much more forgiving and plastic than film. :cool-48:

Sometimes, I appreciate how film slows me down, as all my film cameras are manual. Sometimes I appreciate the speed of digital. Then I purchased a XP1 ... a digital camera that slowed me down. :cool-98:

F5 Penguin said:
Yes! That's right! Would you like to get rid of digital photography from the world like it never existed? All our memories get completely wiped of any digital knowledge! We forever use film cameras and shoot film for eternity.

An excellent join-up-day question you posed! In most areas in the western USA, the daily bag limit is two salmon. But it depends. Please do consult the regulations if there are any questions on gear or open areas. Well, I must soon take my leave, for I see the telegraph delivery man is outside at the hitching post at this very moment, which must mean a communique will be delivered to me soon. I love the digital pictures I've made on my fishing trips; my film-era days have very few photos. Digital photography=many more, and vastly better photographs than my film-era shots. A modern Nikon d-slr is a vastly better image capture device than say, and F3HP ever was. I shot the F3HP for 19 years...but from Day 1, the D1 was a better SLR camera.

Figuring Out Fishing? Here Are 5 Keys to Trolling Success

lol
Really? Wow! I was looking at the St. Louis and thinking to myself I hope this guy follows hockey so I can give it to him at some point! Don't start making me like you now! :BangHead:

Both my parents were 1st generation children of immigrants who wound up in the "shithole" section of town known as the Bottoms (Mckees Rocks). Back from the war my Dad GI billed into a college degree and eventually a civil service job that allowed us to cross the river (Ohio) where I grew up in Bellevue. I don't follow sports.

Joe

Yes! That's right! Would you like to get rid of digital photography from the world like it never existed? All our memories get completely wiped of any digital knowledge! We forever use film cameras and shoot film for eternity.
What if you went back and photographed your own grandmother before she met your grandfather? Oh the paradoxes!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back