Wow you guys were right...

I asked earlier about Pentax-vrs- Nikon and Canon and many said that glass for the Pentax would be limited but I thought yea right how hard can it be? Well I really liked the Pentax for price and its stability built into the camera bit I have been looking a bit for lenses that I think I might want and there are not many out there for Pentax compared to the other two. I am looking at a macro and a moderate telephoto but I see most are not made for the Pentax.
Not that I doubted everyone I just figured I am just starting out so how hard could it be to please my needs. :hail:

I have to admit I'm rather confused by this. You were told that there would be less choice of new glass available with Pentax than with Canon and Nikon... now you have a Pentax you've found that there's not as much choice of new glass as with Canon and Nikon... and you're surprised? :confused:

I'm also not sure what you mean by "most are not made for the Pentax"... as for macro, I see the following current macro lenses...
Pentax SMC-DFA 50mm f/2.8
Pentax SMC-DFA 100mm f/2.8
Tamron 90mm f/2.8
Sigma 50mm f/2.8
Sigma 70mm f/2.8
Sigma 105mm f/2.8
Sigma 180mm f/3.5
... the only ones "not made for Pentax" are the Tamron 180mm, the Sigma 150mm, and the Tokina... which I wouldn't describe as "most" :)

By the way, notice I underlined the word "current"... look for used macro lenses and you also have the SMC-FA and SMC-F series, plus more third-parties... and so far I am only covering autofocus lenses.

The situation with telephoto lenses is similar; admittedly Pentax's current DA range is so far a bit limited as far as telephoto lenses go... (although you said "moderate telephoto"; wouldn't either the 50-135mm or the 50-200mm cover this?)... but if you can't wait then there are still older (yes, autofocus) ones available, plus of course the many third-party offerings.

Personally I'm glad I stuck with Pentax into the digital era. I'm sorry if you're disappointed... but I still can't work out why you're surprised...

If you think Pentax glass is better across it's whole range and under the same conditions than Canon 'L' glass, then I can understand why you would be sorry.

He never said it was better across its whole range... but please do tell us how every "L" lens contains the special L magic known only to Canon designers... we don't hear that one often enough :)

It isn't that they don't have the lenses, they have in fact been making some top of the line optics for the past 40 years. You can still use the older MF as well as the new AF and the newer just released lenses for digital. The problem is the supply, in that many dealers can't keep them in stock for very long. It's supply/demand. Over the past few years, Pentax has been a 3rd option as most have gone Canon or Nikon. Thus, they make fewer to meet a smaller demand. Third party companies like Sigma and Tamron have been making Pentax mounts in shorter supply as well. Now over the last year or so, the K10d has been selling very well as well as the previous versions. It seems they haven't stepped up the production though. Therefore, as soon as stores like b/h and adorama or whoever gets them, they're sold out.

So, do they have quality lenses? Absolutely. Do they have top of the line glass? Absolutely, they mark them as "Limited". Can you call up any day of the week and get some of these lenses? No, but they are certainly out there. You just have to make a wish list and keep a watch at a few sites. My 50mm f/1.4 is some of the best glass I've ever used. I keep toying with the idea of the 77mm limited lens and it's reviews are some of the best I've seen by any optics maker. Their new zoom lenses are getting rave reviews as well. So don't misunderstand, they make top quality glass, it's just in short supply.

Couldn't have said it better myself. If you feel like paying out the arse for canon glass, then go right ahead. But obviously, you've a) Never shot with Pentax glass, or b) are just being a gear masturbator. Because you don't seem to understand what top quality it is, and also what a value it is. As for quality, take, for example, Nick Brandt in this thread, who shoots with Pentax glass. As for price...well the prices speak for themselves by comparison.

what what...

It isn't that they don't have the lenses, they have in fact been making some top of the line optics for the past 40 years. You can still use the older MF as well as the new AF and the newer just released lenses for digital. The problem is the supply, in that many dealers can't keep them in stock for very long. It's supply/demand. Over the past few years, Pentax has been a 3rd option as most have gone Canon or Nikon. Thus, they make fewer to meet a smaller demand. Third party companies like Sigma and Tamron have been making Pentax mounts in shorter supply as well. Now over the last year or so, the K10d has been selling very well as well as the previous versions. It seems they haven't stepped up the production though. Therefore, as soon as stores like b/h and adorama or whoever gets them, they're sold out.

So, do they have quality lenses? Absolutely. Do they have top of the line glass? Absolutely, they mark them as "Limited". Can you call up any day of the week and get some of these lenses? No, but they are certainly out there. You just have to make a wish list and keep a watch at a few sites. My 50mm f/1.4 is some of the best glass I've ever used. I keep toying with the idea of the 77mm limited lens and it's reviews are some of the best I've seen by any optics maker. Their new zoom lenses are getting rave reviews as well. So don't misunderstand, they make top quality glass, it's just in short supply.
OK, this was the best description to my thread.. I am very very new to all this and I got alot of panties in a bunch but now I know for a fact I can buy the K10D and I will be fine with lenses. I just had heard that Pentax lenses were not as easy to come buy but your explanation has showed me light . thank you very much for your time..

Most reactions

Back