WTB: Affordable replacement for broken 18-55mm on Nikon D40

wporterfield

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Considering the 55-200 VR (online retailers have it for $155 - $200)

-or-

Stock 18-55mm replacement.

Am open to other suggestions... any all purpose lens under $150 that fits the Nikon D40 - pretty limited options I'm sure... but that's what I'm working with.

Thanks in advance.

Best bet is to buy the Nikon 18-55 again.

Ill sell you a 55-200 non vr for 80 bucks paypal :)

How 'bout another 18-55? ;)

Maybe the Sigma 18-50 HSM? I think HSM means that it will have full-time override like Nikon's real AF-S lenses (Nikon's 18-55 has fake AF-S). It's $120 at Amazon.

Can someone out there please explain what this means?
Nikon AF-S is an autofocus system that consists of a fast, almost completely silent focusing motor inside the lens and a manual focusing ring that can used at any time to override the autofocus. Additionally, the focus ring does not turn with the autofocus system is in use. It's equivalent to Canon USM or Sigma HSM.

Nikon makes a few cheap lenses, the 18-55 and 55-200 VR for example, that it brands as "AF-S" for marketing purposes (translation: they're lying) but they are not as silent nor as fast and do not allow for instant manual override.

Nikon AF-S is an autofocus system that consists of a fast, almost completely silent focusing motor inside the lens and a manual focusing ring that can used at any time to override the autofocus. Additionally, the focus ring does not turn with the autofocus system is in use. It's equivalent to Canon USM or Sigma HSM.

Nikon makes a few cheap lenses, the 18-55 and 55-200 VR for example, that it brands as "AF-S" for marketing purposes (translation: they're lying) but they are not as silent nor as fast and do not allow for instant manual override.

Thanks for that explanation :)

got a sigma 18-50 1:3.5-5.6 with 2 filters (uv/polarized), pretty much new. used a whole 5 times. perfect condition and working condition.

pft. .. i wonder if they can repair that

Who is "they"... I've actually done some research. Seems like you can buy they mounting bracket for around $16 plus SH. The question is... can I replace it without doing any further damage to the lens?

hello,

getting for $ 150 ?

i tried getting for $ 160 but did not find much match. where did you get it for $ 155?
clear.gif

Most reactions

Back