WTB: Canon Telephoto

DivadWaldoss

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I'm looking to buy a semi decent Canon EF Telephoto lens. I don't have a ton of money to spend (maybe $125-$150 absolute max). I was looking at the 70-300 on keh for only $74, but I've heard pretty bad things about that lens, so I thought I'd see what others have. If I can't find anything I may just buy it so I have SOMETHING for wildlife shots. Right now all I have is the 18-55 kit lens that came with my T3i.

Thanks!

- David

Is it really as bad as people say?
Compared to the kit lens, would you say it's better, worse, or about the same?

Look into Sigma and Tamron.

No that is not true, I have the 18-55, 80-210, and the 75-300. They are all good, it depends what you want it to do? And you do get what you paid for. The ones with IS will cost you a lot more. But you do see a big difference with the expensive ones verses the lesser ones, some of the inexpensive ones are made with plastic. If you can do another $75 or more on top of what you got it's better to get the 55-250mm IS. It will do you some good. If you want wide angle you would need a smaller aperture and that will cost you a fortune. What I do is add an attachment to it which cost me $30 or more for a macro or telephoto adapter at the end of my lens. It does wonders for me with landscape and wildlife given me not only farther distance but wider also. I use it for taking NYC tall building including photo shoots that I need to fit a lot of people in it. I hope it helps.

There are several options for $150 or less:

1. New or almost new 75-300. Pay more for USM version
2. 55-250 used.
3. 70-210 f/4 used. The unique about this is that it is f/4 at 210mm as well.
4. 80-200 used. You can get for ~$100

Your original post said 70-300 for $74. That was probably for 75-300. 70-300 is a totally different lens and costs a lot more.

I have a 70-210 f/4 available. Let me know if you are interested.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back