What's new

WTB Question about 2.8 300mm lens

Bockster

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 12, 2012
Messages
8
Reaction score
1
Location
New Hampshire
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am a beginner and my 14 yo daughter is doing really well and has sold many pictures already. We have a D5100. I have been looking on eBay for a nikon 300mm for taking wildlife pictures and prices range from 1000 to $6000. How do I know what will work on my camera. Thank you
 
Bockster said:
I am a beginner and my 14 yo daughter is doing really well and has sold many pictures already. We have a D5100. I have been looking on eBay for a nikon 300mm for taking wildlife pictures and prices range from 1000 to $6000. How do I know what will work on my camera. Thank you

Work as in take pics, meter, or autofocus ?
 
I am a beginner and my 14 yo daughter is doing really well and has sold many pictures already. We have a D5100. I have been looking on eBay for a nikon 300mm for taking wildlife pictures and prices range from 1000 to $6000. How do I know what will work on my camera. Thank you

She has her business license already? Nice:thumbup:
 
No she sits at local flee markets and has sold about 30 framed pictures. Local photographers say she is talented for her age and I want to support her. A local wildlife photographer recommend the 300mm. Autofocus is important I think.
 
No she sits at local flee markets and has sold about 30 framed pictures. Local photographers say she is talented for her age and I want to support her. A local wildlife photographer recommend the 300mm. Autofocus is important I think.


You will need a AF-S lens to autofocus on that body as it has no internal focusing motor.

But...

If she is that good you could probably get a her a used D700 and a used 300mm f2.8 af-s II for under $6,000.


Nikon Digital D700 12.1 MEGAPIXEL WITH BATTERY & CHARGER (CF CARD ) DIGITAL SLR INTERCHANGEABLE LENS CAMERA - KEH.com

Nikon Autofocus 300 F2.8 D ED INTERNAL FOCUS AF-S II BLACK (52) (N90 & LATER) WITH HOOD, CAPS, CASE, 35MM SLR AUTO FOCUS TELEPHOTO LENS - KEH.com
 
Will that lens work on the 5100 for now so I could buy 1 at a time? My funds only allow about $3000 right now
 
AF-S lenses will autofocus on the d5100. Just the newest and a couple older AF-I lenses.
 
You could always try sigma, they have come a long way and are reasonably priced. My favorite lens is the 120-300 f2.8.
For wildlife you want 300mm or more. I may have sounded contradictory but you might have other uses. You could also shop around grab a 70-200 and a 1.4tc. The 70-200 is a good lens that never goes out of style.
 
Thank you for the advice. I never thought about the TC.
 
Don't bother with third party if you want the best quality. Also, good job supporting your daughter! :)
 
I wish my parents would get me a several thousand dollar lens because I was interested in photography...

Suggestion: Get her a good telephoto lens, but not one of the crazy 300 f/2.8s that will break the bank. I'm sure that Nikon has an equivalent to Canon's 400 f/5.6L, which is around $1000.

Sent from my Nexus 7
 
TheBiles said:
I wish my parents would get me a several thousand dollar lens because I was interested in photography...

Suggestion: Get her a good telephoto lens, but not one of the crazy 300 f/2.8s that will break the bank. I'm sure that Nikon has an equivalent to Canon's 400 f/5.6L, which is around $1000.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Nikon has a 18-300 and a 80-400, check those out. They can both be purchased for under 1800$, I wanna say. I used the 80-400, it's ok not great but again what's your acceptable level of quality? I still think a 70-200 VR with a 1.4 will do just fine.

As mentioned don't buy a 3rd party tc, get Nikon.
 
Thanks Brian I will stick to Nikon. Sorry I spoil my only child but she has sold rights to use 6 of her pictures to an ink company for enough money to pay for 1/2 the lens herself. So I guess I should lens the pro's recommend .
 
Don't bother with third party if you want the best quality. Also, good job supporting your daughter! :)

I have to kind of disagree here.
I have the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 OS lens and the quality is amazing. It is not the Name brand version that is $2400. The nikon/canon is a better lens, but... For $1200? The sigma is SUPERB. FAR beyond any quality of any lesser zoom. I'd expect the Nikon to be better-it's a Grand more, but if I had to weigh the grand against the added benefits to the cost? It's not a grand.
And yes, I shoot professionally with it. Full time.
Now the TC? Don't buy a knock off. It's not enough of a difference in price to be worth the compromise.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom