What's new

WTB Question about 2.8 300mm lens

MLeeK said:
I have to kind of disagree here.
I have the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 OS lens and the quality is amazing. It is not the Name brand version that is $2400. The nikon/canon is a better lens, but... For $1200? The sigma is SUPERB. FAR beyond any quality of any lesser zoom. I'd expect the Nikon to be better-it's a Grand more, but if I had to weigh the grand against the added benefits to the cost? It's not a grand.
And yes, I shoot professionally with it. Full time.
Now the TC? Don't buy a knock off. It's not enough of a difference in price to be worth the compromise.

Perhaps that one particular lens. IDK. No experience with it. However, as a general rule, third party items are third party for a reason. If they were as good as Nikon, Canon, etc. they'd be the big dog. If I'm going to drop four figures on camera equipment, it's going to be the very very best I can afford.

I'll never touch Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, etc. Peace of mind and better glass is worth a few hundred extra. Space it out over the life of the lens and we're talking about a trip to burger king per year in extra expenditure.
 
Don't bother with third party if you want the best quality. Also, good job supporting your daughter! :)

I have to kind of disagree here.
I have the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 OS lens and the quality is amazing. It is not the Name brand version that is $2400. The nikon/canon is a better lens, but... For $1200? The sigma is SUPERB. FAR beyond any quality of any lesser zoom. I'd expect the Nikon to be better-it's a Grand more, but if I had to weigh the grand against the added benefits to the cost? It's not a grand.
And yes, I shoot professionally with it. Full time.
Now the TC? Don't buy a knock off. It's not enough of a difference in price to be worth the compromise.

Is a Sigma is quote-unquote SUPERB, what would the Nikkor second-generation VR-II model be?? "Extra-SUPERB?" Will the Nikkor have that sickly Sigma yellowish color rendition? ..uh...NO, it won't. Sigma lenses universally have a warm color rendition that is the opposite of Nikkor glass, and NO, that yellow bias cannot be "white balanced out". If you want a 300/2.8 AF-S Nikkor, then buy one for her, and get the best. The Sigma 300/2.8 models are clearly, second-tier. Not by a lot, but by enough that those in the know want the Nikkor, and not the Sigma. If one wants a 300/2.8 there are plenty of them on the used market, at fair prices.

THis version, the AF-S, Mark II version is one I own. It is truly a SUPERB lens.http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Autofocus-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-NA06999057463R?r=FE
 
300mm is kind of on the short side for serious wildlife, especially if she gets into any kind of birding. The 300 can work, but anytime you immediately start thinking of adding a teleconverter to the lens for some reach you are too short. It can be done,but it's a compromise.

To really get consistent shots you need a bit more reach or some really good sneaking skills (usually both). If you are willing to put out the $$, take your time and find a deal on a 400 f2.8 or even a 500 f4.

Maybe some meditation training too to work on the patience it takes to wait for the amazing shots to come along to be captured.
 
Don't bother with third party if you want the best quality. Also, good job supporting your daughter! :)

I have to kind of disagree here.
I have the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 OS lens and the quality is amazing. It is not the Name brand version that is $2400. The nikon/canon is a better lens, but... For $1200? The sigma is SUPERB. FAR beyond any quality of any lesser zoom. I'd expect the Nikon to be better-it's a Grand more, but if I had to weigh the grand against the added benefits to the cost? It's not a grand.
And yes, I shoot professionally with it. Full time.
Now the TC? Don't buy a knock off. It's not enough of a difference in price to be worth the compromise.

Is a Sigma is quote-unquote SUPERB, what would the Nikkor second-generation VR-II model be?? "Extra-SUPERB?" Will the Nikkor have that sickly Sigma yellowish color rendition? ..uh...NO, it won't. Sigma lenses universally have a warm color rendition that is the opposite of Nikkor glass, and NO, that yellow bias cannot be "white balanced out". If you want a 300/2.8 AF-S Nikkor, then buy one for her, and get the best. The Sigma 300/2.8 models are clearly, second-tier. Not by a lot, but by enough that those in the know want the Nikkor, and not the Sigma. If one wants a 300/2.8 there are plenty of them on the used market, at fair prices.

THis version, the AF-S, Mark II version is one I own. It is truly a SUPERB lens.Nikon Autofocus 300 F2.8 D ED INTERNAL FOCUS AF-S II BLACK (52) (N90 & LATER) WITH HOOD, CAPS, CASE, 35MM SLR AUTO FOCUS TELEPHOTO LENS - KEH.com
Derrel, don't be obtuse. You can read very well and your comprehension is not that of a third grader. I quite clearly stated the Nikon was the better lens.
FOR THE PRICE? It is superb
For $2300 or whatever the Nikon is at? It had better be out of this world. Notice the FOR THE PRICE part
 
I wish my parents would get me a several thousand dollar lens because I was interested in photography...

Suggestion: Get her a good telephoto lens, but not one of the crazy 300 f/2.8s that will break the bank. I'm sure that Nikon has an equivalent to Canon's 400 f/5.6L, which is around $1000.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Looking at your gear, it doesn't look like you need your parents' help to buy thousands of dollars worth of equipment. :P



Btw, why not have your daughter pick out a lens? Give her a budget and have her find a tele. She can learn about types of lenses along the way and you don't have to run around looking for lenses :)
 
I wish my parents would get me a several thousand dollar lens because I was interested in photography...

Suggestion: Get her a good telephoto lens, but not one of the crazy 300 f/2.8s that will break the bank. I'm sure that Nikon has an equivalent to Canon's 400 f/5.6L, which is around $1000.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Looking at your gear, it doesn't look like you need your parents' help to buy thousands of dollars worth of equipment. :P
What's that got to do with the price of tea in china? I am pretty sure it wasn't just gifted to him and it didn't just happen overnight. Accumulating gear is something we all WISH our parents would do for us because, damn! It's hard to do!
 
Wildlife is a demanding area of photography, both on skills and equipment, sadly getting good lenses for wildlife is one area where you can't as easily go cheap on the options.


The 300mm f2.8 lens is a pretty standard lens for many wildlife shooters, most of the 300mm f2.8 lenses on the current market can take a 1.4Teleconverter for a great 420mm f4 lens and also take a 2*Teleconverter for a good quality 600mm f5.6 lens. As a result of this the 300mm f2.8 is popular when combined with teleconverters, giving a photographer something more affordable than the primes such as a 500mm f4, or 600mm f5.6 prime lens. In addition they are smaller and lighter, which is a great bonus for travel and moving around with the lens itself (they are still heavy lenses though so I'd suggest finding a spot for a good monopod in the budget - a solid tripod if she intends to sit in a hide for extended periods of time).

If she can afford it then its a fantastic lens to aim for. The Nikon issue 300m f2.8 current lens would be one of the best ones to get hold of, high price but certainly very worth the cost. You could also consider the second hand market if you want, but these lenses don't drop too far in cost second hand plus you'll lack a warranty. Nikon also has some older high end lenses, again they'll still command a good price, but might be a bit more affordable - I can't comment on these options, but I'm sure others here can pitch in on those options.

Sigma side their 300mm f2.8 is a bit of an oddball, even in Sigma's own line its not their top 300mm option and I've read a few reviews/opinions which actually rate their 120-300mm f2.8 lens higher than their prime (or at least on even standing). Sigma do make good glass as well, heck they make the only 500mm f2.8 lens on the market and I've seen some very impressive results from their 300-800mm compared to a 500mm prime.

I would persoanlly say if she's raised a large amount of the money herself and is keen on the hobby and it won't begger the family then heck go for the best you can. I'd, personally, say that the Nikon current 300mm f2.8 would be the ideal choice - the older model might also be valid to consider second hand - after that I'd look at the Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 - not quite as good with a 2*TC to get to 600mm, but still gives a very suable result (though you'll oft be closing down to around f7.1 to get its best performance).

PS - the 120-300mm is HEAVIER than most 300mm primes

PPS - if you can get to a big photography shop see if you can have a try holding the various options - might be that a good as they are that they are too heavy/bulky and that other options (300mm f4 - various zooms from Sigma like the 150-500mm or 50-500mm) might be more practical.
If you can't get to a shop that stocks these things then a local camera club might also have members with various options on the list to have a look at (most clubs are friendly and most will be more than happy to show their gear).
 
Don't bother with third party if you want the best quality. Also, good job supporting your daughter! :)

I have to kind of disagree here.
I have the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 OS lens and the quality is amazing. It is not the Name brand version that is $2400. The nikon/canon is a better lens, but... For $1200? The sigma is SUPERB. FAR beyond any quality of any lesser zoom. I'd expect the Nikon to be better-it's a Grand more, but if I had to weigh the grand against the added benefits to the cost? It's not a grand.
And yes, I shoot professionally with it. Full time.
Now the TC? Don't buy a knock off. It's not enough of a difference in price to be worth the compromise.

Is a Sigma is quote-unquote SUPERB, what would the Nikkor second-generation VR-II model be?? "Extra-SUPERB?" Will the Nikkor have that sickly Sigma yellowish color rendition? ..uh...NO, it won't. Sigma lenses universally have a warm color rendition that is the opposite of Nikkor glass, and NO, that yellow bias cannot be "white balanced out". If you want a 300/2.8 AF-S Nikkor, then buy one for her, and get the best. The Sigma 300/2.8 models are clearly, second-tier. Not by a lot, but by enough that those in the know want the Nikkor, and not the Sigma. If one wants a 300/2.8 there are plenty of them on the used market, at fair prices.

THis version, the AF-S, Mark II version is one I own. It is truly a SUPERB lens.Nikon Autofocus 300 F2.8 D ED INTERNAL FOCUS AF-S II BLACK (52) (N90 & LATER) WITH HOOD, CAPS, CASE, 35MM SLR AUTO FOCUS TELEPHOTO LENS - KEH.com

My sigmas do not have any yellowish rendition you speak of. The 70-200mm OS is excellent.
 
the sigma 150-500 is under $1000 and does really good on crop bodies for the price. its also not heavy like most serious super telephotos(may be important for a 14 year old). a good photographer with a d5100 and the sigma 150-500 should be able to get very good images. i recommend that for anyone on a budget. i shot at it with my d7000 at the zoo and was totally amazed at the reach and quality of the photos i got.

you can check out my review on this lens on this forum here
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photography-equipment-products/283632-sigma-150-500mm-dg-apo-hsm-f5-6-3-hands-review-nikon-mount.html

also i owned the sigma apo 70-200 non os version of the 2.8 and was not happy with it. it had focus issues, now not all of them do but mine did, even when it grabbed focus i wasnt too impressed. the 150-500 even though not a 2.8 and a little bit cheaper build quality, i am so happy with it. it also has the internal focus motor and OS 1 and OS 2 and will work with your d5100 autofocusing
 
Tamron 70-300 f/4 VC SP... great lens, robust, inexpensive, remarkable vibration reduction/control, fast focusing (on a body that has a focus motor), and isn't very large.

All the camera shops in town I've been to let you try out the lenses. Find one near you and let your daughter play with them. I think it's a great idea to let her decide as it will be a learning experience also to understand what makes one lens different from the next one.
 
Thank you all for the great reviews. She has earned enough money to purchase the sigma 150-500 herself so I think she wants to go that way. I will post some of her shots after she gets the lens. Thank you and sorry if it started a Nikon sigma war. :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom