XS or T1i

TheBoombaGnome

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was informed by a very helpful Best Buy salesperson yesterday that they have stopped producing the XSi, which is the camera I had my heart set on. So now I'm left with two choices as I have fallen in love with the Canon series...the XS or the T1i. Online, the XS goes for $499.99 and the T1i goes for $749.99. I guess my question goes out the Canon users who have either owned or used both. For my entry level dSLR, is the T1i worth the extra $250.00 over the XS? Keep in mind, this will be my first dSLR that I've ever owned, and I'm still learning a lot about apature, ISO, shutter speed, etc. I'm just looking to upgrade from my P&S that is about 4 years old...

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks guys!
Boomba

you can still find an XSI on bhphoto or amazon easy

One can seldom trust a sales associate who tells a customer that a product has been discontinued; the information might very likely be in error, either through no fault of the sales associate, or through deliberate action on the sales associate's part. If the customer wants a product the sales associate does not have in stock, I've heard it said, "Oh, that's discontinued," many more times than once. One cannot sell what one does not have in stock...and the spiff on a full-ticket item is higher than that on an older, now-discounted item.

Actually it's not even on Canon's current product line on the website. This was news to me as I was looking for it the other day. The XS is on there, but not the XSI.

Actually it's not even on Canon's current product line on the website. This was news to me as I was looking for it the other day. The XS is on there, but not the XSI.

Thats why I decided to post here...as I realized that the guy wasn't totally full of it...haha.

I played with the XS tonight a little bit more and I like the feel of it. I think for my entry level, the price isn't too outrageous (and I'm sure I can find it cheaper than 499.99 online)...I think the T1i and the 50D are a little out of price range for a college student...Any other advice though? Right now, I'm kind of stuck on Canon...but what about Nikon? Anyone up to the task of convincing me that Nikon is the way to go? I'm not looking to spend more than maybe $600 on the camera...and I just want to make sure I make the right decision. Any advice at this point would be awesome!!

Thanks again guys

Boomba

Thats why I decided to post here...as I realized that the guy wasn't totally full of it...haha.

I played with the XS tonight a little bit more and I like the feel of it. I think for my entry level, the price isn't too outrageous (and I'm sure I can find it cheaper than 499.99 online)...I think the T1i and the 50D are a little out of price range for a college student...Any other advice though? Right now, I'm kind of stuck on Canon...but what about Nikon? Anyone up to the task of convincing me that Nikon is the way to go? I'm not looking to spend more than maybe $600 on the camera...and I just want to make sure I make the right decision. Any advice at this point would be awesome!!

Thanks again guys

Boomba

I really do think I like the XSI better than I would the XS. Even just for the screen alone. If your opting for the XS, I would try to find a deal on the XSi online.

3" LCD vs 2.5
12MP vs 10 (not a big deal)
no IR remore sensor on XS
14-bit RAW vs 12
9 point AF system instead of 7
XSi has an eye sensor to shut off the LCD when you look through the viewfinder
a little faster on fps
Spot metering

Neither the XS or the XSi are bad nor top of the line, They both come with an 18-55mm IS lens. So if you are leaning to the XS I would look for a deal on the XSi. I picked up one on Craigs List with the 18-55 IS for 425 a few months ago.

Aren't all these cameras 14-bit? And is the XS the camera i use, the 1000D? If so, it's ok. Just a hobby grade DSLR. Not weather sealed but i never had a problem using it in the rain/winter. And low fps rate but thats fine..i'm not an action pro - i got all day! It's a hobby ;) Hey I got Partial metering though that's similar to Spot. Of course, mostly I use Center-Weighted Average because it's strictly for advanced users. :pimp:

I never used an XS but have an XSI. Great camera. If I had to chose between XS and T1i, I'd take the T1i. Better ISO, faster (slightly) shooting speed, nicer LCD,

I think I would too. Limited ISO is a bummer. Mine goes up to 1600 but it's not useable IMO - maybe for b&w. I need useable 3200 for my rather slow 300mm lenses (and telecons). That would be cool!

Aren't all these cameras 14-bit? And is the XS the camera i use, the 1000D?

No the XS is 12bit and the XSi is 14bit. Yes the XS=1000D, XSi 450D. I am starting to lose them on the whole numbering process!

I found a good article that explains the differences btw them. If you were going to shell out the extra money though, I would go with the T1i as well.

Canon XSi / 450D vs Canon XS / 1000D | Digital Photography Notes

That was a perfect article, Ryan. Thank you so much. He said kind of what I was thinking when he said
It makes sense to buy the XS / 1000D if you're just beginning photography and don't have a set target on how advanced you want to get with your photography.
The money saved can go towards purchasing an external flash, accessory or a better lens. This is the more practical approach to take for budding photographers.
After a year or two of taking lots of photographs, you'd then be in a better position to decide which advanced model to upgrade to.
Thats the exact position I'm in, and perhaps when the time comes for me to get a newer better camera, i'll just upgrade to one of the really nice Canon's, as opposed to the entry level ones...

I currently have the XS and cannot wait to upgrade. It was a good little starter camera, but I've found it to be somewhat limiting. My images are noisier than I care to see if I use greater than 200 ISO. I'm seeking the wireless flash capabilities, among many other features of the 7D.

you can still find an XSI on bhphoto or ... easy
Sadly, speaking only for B&H, you cannot.

One can seldom trust a sales associate who tells a customer that a product has been discontinued; the information might very likely be in error, either through no fault of the sales associate, or through deliberate action on the sales associate's part. If the customer wants a product the sales associate does not have in stock, I've heard it said, "Oh, that's discontinued," many more times than once. One cannot sell what one does not have in stock...and the spiff on a full-ticket item is higher than that on an older, now-discounted item.

Hence the benefit of shopping where the store and each individual sales associate value ethics and integrity above the last dime and where the store pays its employees a competitive wage rather than spiffs and commissions.

To the OP: Here's a side-by-side of specs for the two cameras. The 500D = T1i.

Last edited:
the xsi is in fact listed on their lineup.

Check: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi

That would appear to be the xsi.

I know if I was buying right now and could afford it, I would go with the T1i or save the money for a 50d.

Most reactions

Back