Yashica MAT 124G!

Msteelio91

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.digitaldistrictphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, my girlfriend is terrible at keeping secrets but awesome at choosing gifts. For my birthday (in June...) she got me a Yashica MAT 124G in great form and full working order! Super excited about this, BUT - I have no idea what's next. I need film and I need to learn how to develop it. I also need to learn how to get it onto my computer (get my own scanner/take it somewhere/use the MFP's at work :lmao: ).

It will arrive in the beginning of May and I'd like to try to be ready for it. Any input on film to get, techniques for using the camera/developing film, or any other input would be greatly appreciated!

Looks like I might be converting our apartment's bathroom into a dark room haha

Why not move slowly. This is apparently all new to you, so why not get the camera and run a few rolls of color film through it to familiarize yourself with the camera's operation, then introduce yourself to DR processing. It just seems your mixing many variables at the same time. You can always digitize the color film and convert it to BW.

BTW, I owned a 124G and it was a very sharp lens which produced good contrasty negatives

Black and white 120 rollfilm...for a total beginner, I guess maybe the Patterson Universal rollfilm daylight developing tank. THIS EXACT ONE most likely:

Paterson Universal Film Developing Tank with 1 Reel | Freestyle Photographic Supplies

For developer: Kodak HC-110 liquid concentrate is MY personal favorite, but Kodak D-76 is available in powdered form in a foil bag, so it's MUCH less costly to ship:
Kodak D-76 Film Developer To Make 1 Gallon | Freestyle Photographic Supplies

For stop bath: Kodak Indicator Stop Bath, or vinegar-and-water,not kidding!: for fixer: since this is MAIL-ORDER, this exact powdered Kodak Fixer. Buy at least two bags. Black and White Chemicals | Freestyle Photographic Supplies

For film to shoot, start with a classic black and white, high-speed film, like Kodak Tri-X Pan in 120 roll size. Buy it by the 5-pack.
Kodak Tri-X 400 ISO120 Size TX - 5 pack | Freestyle Photographic Supplies

DO NOT BUY Kodak T-Max film and develop it in D-76....use the RIGHT developer for T Max and its T-Grain emulsion: T Max Developer!!!!

Agreed ^^

(Edit: Agree with Rick. Derrell posted while I was still typing!)

You don't have to do everything at once. First, get a few rolls of film and figure out how to use the camera. The camera will need 120 film, which you can get easily online (I don't know how available it is in brick and mortar stores in DC). B&H and Adorama are not taking orders until the 23rd but that should still leave you plenty of time if the camera doesn't get to you until May. There's also Freestyle and even Amazon will sell 120 film.

Then send the film out to be developed. There's Dwayne's Photo A trusted name in photo processing for over 50 years - Dwayne's Photo or The Darkroom to start Film Developing at The Darkroom | Develop Film by Mail for $10 They will develop and scan the photos. Once you get a handle on the camera, then you can think about developing your own.

You don't want to have too many variables to overwhelm you at the beginning. Plus, I don't know where your girlfriend got the camera, but you might want to make sure it's in working order.

And you don't need a full darkroom just to develop. You'd need that if you want to do wet printing, but I think that's definitely a 'down the road' thing. First figure out if you like film, then figure out if you like developing film, and THEN figure out if you like making your own wet prints.

Though I also agree with Derrell about starting with TriX and if you do want to dive into developing immediately, go for the black and white chems to start. And Paterson tanks are pretty awesome.

Thank you guys for the solid advice! I'll check out amazon and see if I can make use of my Prime account. Luckily DC is a pretty "hip" place so there will definitely be a few stores that will have supplies for me. It looks like I'll be sending my film out at first just to get my shooting skills in order.

I really enjoy the technical side of photography so developing my own is very appealing to me.

Darkroom work is very rewarding, but you'll have plenty of time. I really think mastering the camera first is a smart move :wink:

Well if you like a challenge, once you get a handle on the camera and film, you can try developing in Caffenol :D It's a homemade black and white film developer made from instant coffee, Vitamin C powder, and washing soda. And sometimes salt.

I am using this little application on my iPhone 4 as a semi-spot, hand-held light meter. I shot some 120 rollfilm this weekend on my 1938-era Miniature Speed Graphic:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pocket-light-meter/id381698089?mt=8

$IMG_7674 copy.JPG

The CAMERA's exposure system brightened this scene up with auto-gain...he is in heavy shaded conditions under a wildlife viewing area's extended roof, looking through the huge 60x narrow-field ,pedestal mounted telescope. I took a reading off of his cheek in STRONG backlighting, using ISO 100 for Ektachrome slide film. This is an automatic screen cap the Pocket Light Meter is set to capture...the beauty of this is that you HAVE AN AUTOMATIC PHOTOGRAPH made of a scene, subject, AND the exact light meter bracket area!!!!! This allows you to create your very own library of scenes, and full details of the light metering...on longer-distance meterings, you can see a lot more "scene"...this is a close-up reading.

Well if you like a challenge, once you get a handle on the camera and film, you can try developing in Caffenol :D It's a homemade black and white film developer made from instant coffee, Vitamin C powder, and washing soda. And sometimes salt.

...Can I eat it?

I am using this little application on my iPhone 4 as a semi-spot, hand-held light meter. I shot some 120 rollfilm this weekend on my 1938-era Miniature Speed Graphic:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pocket-light-meter/id381698089?mt=8

View attachment 71264

The CAMERA's exposure system brightened this scene up with auto-gain...he is in heavy shaded conditions under a wildlife viewing area's extended roof, looking through the huge 60x narrow-field ,pedestal mounted telescope. I took a reading off of his cheek in STRONG backlighting, using ISO 100 for Ektachrome slide film. This is an automatic screen cap the Pocket Light Meter is set to capture...the beauty of this is that you HAVE AN AUTOMATIC PHOTOGRAPH made of a scene, subject, AND the exact light meter bracket area!!!!! This allows you to create your very own library of scenes, and full details of the light metering...on longer-distance meterings, you can see a lot more "scene"...this is a close-up reading.

Nice app! Downloading it now

...Can I eat it?

Wouldn't suggest it. I don't think it would do anything bad - not in small quantities anyway - but judging by the smell, it would taste remarkably bad. I do find myself craving a proper cup of coffee whenever I develop, though ;)

I'll be sure to keep that in mind ;) thanks for the recipe I made a note for when I'm ready to give developing a shot

I started this thread a while ago:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/darkroom/349812-caffenol-thread.html

The traditional developers are probably easier to start with and there's no reason to avoid them if you're using a municipal sewage system and can dump the developers. It's not good to do so, however, with a private septic system, which is one of the reasons I'm sticking to Caffenol. But if and when you might want to give it a try, let me know! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back