Yay first Sigma purchase ending in disaster.

Garbz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.auer.garbz.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I finally pulled my finger out and bought a 10-20mm Sigma f/4-5.6 from B&H. Reputable dealer as always, internationally known brand, 1 year international warranty. Anyway it arrived while I wasn't home to use it and it was about 35 days from date of purchase before I finally was able to try the lens.

Well bad lens. It happens. element completely misaligned and even when viewed at 25% you can see very noticable lack of sharpness in the left half of the frame, compared to tac sharp 100% sharpness at the right. No biggie time to call in the claims.

B&H Photo video doesn't want the lens back. 30 days since purchase expired and as such they wipe their hands of it, and say contact Sigma for international warranty.

Sigma's Oceana service point says the lens was sold not fit for purpose and as such it's B&H's job to replace.

I'm angry. I'll let you know how this pans out over the coming week. We'll soon see if this is my last Sigma purchase or last B&H purchase. Right now I'm more angry at Sigma.

Have you tried speaking with the sight rep for B&H? Chances are you might get further that way than going through the general phone service point.
If B&H won't take the lens report this to Sigma again and if they give you trouble try going higher up (always go higher up the higher up you go the more likley you will get to someone who can make a choice rather than just follow the office prewritten answers sheet)

It is more sigma's fault than B&H and sigma do seem to need a boost to their overall quality control when in production (though I recall one debate which wondered if it was not just their production line but maybe postage methods as well that might incure more damage during transport).

its bull****!

but 35 days to try a lens?

jesus!

Once again, a Siggy earns its nickname....SIGnificant MAlfunction....

TO MAKE this not just a post that some would consider bashing on Sigma, I offer the following link from the folks at lensrentals.com

LensRentals.com - Lens Repair Data 3.5

This is the most recent article lensrentals.com has done, in an ongoing series of commentaries about the most breakdown-prone lenses in their large array of lenses. Some people get pretty defensive about Sigma lenses, but listen to this from a company that has multiple copies of dozens of lenses, and will NOT provide failure or breakdown data for these ongoing articles unless they have at LEAST nine samples of a specific lens in their active rental rotation.

"The Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is joining the Sigma 120-400 and 150-500 (45% failure rate) in the Lensrentals Hall of Shame: lenses we no longer carry because their failure rate is so high we just can’t afford them. Almost half of them have failed, usually after 3 to 6 months in service."

And, in an effort to be fair and even-handed, let me quote the final bit of their article:

"3) We had stopped using Sigma Factory service in 2008 because they were sooo slow. In mid 2009 we began to hear they had made efforts to improve their service department, so we gave them another try. We were vocal about their bad service, so we’d like to be vocal about praising their obvious improvement, too! Sigma has made major strides in improving their factory service, both in ease of use and in turnaround time."

Yeah I'm well aware that Sigma's have a tendency for faulty production, but often ends in good news once a return is done.

its bull****!

but 35 days to try a lens?

jesus!

My order arrived in 2 stages. The 85 f/1.4 arrived a day before I went interstate, (at this point already 12 days after ordering), and the Sigma a day after I left. I tried the lens the week I laid my hands on it, don't you worry about that :)

At the moment I'm still at lower levels. Make no mistake that I'll escillate this to Sigma rather than their authorised service point here, and escillate this at B&H as well.

This is why I don't buy Sigma or Tamron: too many QC issues.

I've heard better things about Tokina. If you are able to return the Sigma to B&H, Tokina has an 11-16 f/2.8, which sounds delicious :)

B&H Photo video doesn't want the lens back. 30 days since purchase expired and as such they wipe their hands of it, and say contact Sigma for international warranty.

Sigma's Oceana service point says the lens was sold not fit for purpose and as such it's B&H's job to replace.
That's absurd! Regardless of B&H's position of a 30-day store warranty (which is perfectly valid and pretty standard), it's Sigma's product with Sigma's defect, making it entirely Sigma's fault.

First of all B&H should give you an exchange on the lens, even though it is after the 30 day free exchange period. This is just good business practice for long term customers. Yes, technically they said no returns after 30 days and they are right to follow their policy. I still think they should be exchange the lens as I believe they have much more leverage on getting a refund or exchange from Sigma than you. Sigma has a 1 year warranty on the lens and they legally must honor that warranty and either repair or replace your lens. They have absolutely no excuse to do any less if they want to stay in business. I hope you get your new lens soon my friend.

First of all B&H should give you an exchange on the lens, even though it is after the 30 day free exchange period. This is just good business practice for long term customers. Yes, technically they said no returns after 30 days and they are right to follow their policy.
You're phrasing that a bit strongly. Whether they "should" offer a refund for good PR is up to them.

Do I think it's a good idea? Sure. Do they need to? No.

EDIT: despite the automatic definition, "PR" is not "Google page ranking", it's "public relations" ;)

I sent my sigma lens in because it made a weird noise when I zoomed not a big deal but I want my lens to be perfect. They said about 3-4 weeks I had the lens back in about 7 days. I was very surprised and happy about that. Sigma should take responsibility for this issue but I also thing BH should step up to the plate because they sent you a bogus copy. The lens should arrive perfect. That's how I feel at least.

Sorry to hear this. I cannot believe that Sigma is even giving you flack over this. What difference does it make if you turn it over to them for warranty work, or B&H sends it back because it sucks? I can understand B&H not taking care if it, but the Sigma problem blows my mind.

Any protection option with your credit card? Maybe last ditch option... Cant imagine it wont be sorted by Sigma though under warranty... I can totally see BHP's stance though.

I'm sorry to hear of your problem, it truly sucks ! I have never had an issue with B&H, but my purchases have been limited. I also must say that all the gear I own is Nikon, and I have had to send some of my gear in (my fault) and they have been very good and fair. I believe you should get your money's worth regardless of name. I hope it all works out for you.

Most reactions

Back