Yay got my 85mm 1.8 (quick comparison with 70-200mm 2.8)

goodguy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For few months I've been planning to get back my Nikon 85mm 1.8G.
Reason ?
Up till now I used mostly my Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC for portraits and it does this job amazingly well but in long portrait sessions it becomes heavier and heavier.
So I have been lusting for a wider lens and of course the 85mm is one of those lenses that are good for such a task.
On Friday I went to my local camera store to buy a cable for my flash trigger system which of course they didn't have but looking at the counter they had a used Nikon 85mm 1.8G for sale, so after 10% discount and a quick test I marched with my new lens and even more debt in my account :(

On the same day I had 2 long portrait shoots so it was the perfect time to try my newest acquisition.
Portrait sessions took all together about 2 1/2 hours and I must say it was a breeze, working with a lens that doesn't pull me down was so wonderful, used my legs to zoom in and out.

Checking results on Lightroom and I really don't see much different between the 2 lenses, I assume the prime is slightly sharper but honestly I can tell the difference.
While the 70-200mm 2.8 is a wonderful lens which I use a lot and will continue to use a lot I think from now on I will use the 85mm in portraits especially if it will be longer sessions, just more practical and easy.

And Derrel thanks for convincing me to get this lens over its older and cheaper models, it was worth the extra wait :)

Nice! I'm thinking this will be my next lens. I keep waiting for a deal to show up on a used one at KEH or Adorama -- but they don't need to because they sell so quick!

For few months I've been planning to get back my Nikon 85mm 1.8G.
Reason ?
Up till now I used mostly my Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC for portraits and it does this job amazingly well but in long portrait sessions it becomes heavier and heavier.
So I have been lusting for a wider lens and of course the 85mm is one of those lenses that are good for such a task.
On Friday I went to my local camera store to buy a cable for my flash trigger system which of course they didn't have but looking at the counter they had a used Nikon 85mm 1.8G for sale, so after 10% discount and a quick test I marched with my new lens and even more debt in my account :(

On the same day I had 2 long portrait shoots so it was the perfect time to try my newest acquisition.
Portrait sessions took all together about 2 1/2 hours and I must say it was a breeze, working with a lens that doesn't pull me down was so wonderful, used my legs to zoom in and out.

Checking results on Lightroom and I really don't see much different between the 2 lenses, I assume the prime is slightly sharper but honestly I can tell the difference.
While the 70-200mm 2.8 is a wonderful lens which I use a lot and will continue to use a lot I think from now on I will use the 85mm in portraits especially if it will be longer sessions, just more practical and easy.

And Derrel thanks for convincing me to get this lens over its older and cheaper models, it was worth the extra wait :)

Yup, an amazing lens for sure. Best one in my bag. Derrel knows his stuff.

I have the 85mm 1.8g and the Nikon 70-200 /2.8 VR2 as well. I've found the Nikon to be sharper and The VR Invaluable with my shaky hands. But for long sessions you're right on about the 85mm being way lighter.

I have the 85mm 1.8g and the Nikon 70-200 /2.8 VR2 as well. I've found the Nikon to be sharper and The VR Invaluable with my shaky hands. But for long sessions you're right on about the 85mm being way lighter.
I think in studio the 85mm will be from now on my go to lens for portraits but the flexibility the 70-200mm brings with it is priceless for some scenario in portrait shootings so it will get used for this type of photography as well.
Also the 70-200mm is a great general use lens so each has its uses.
What I would like to try in the future is how good the 85mm is in event photography.
I might try to use it for candids when I want to really blur the background so I can shot at f1.8

I think in studio the 85mm will be from now on my go to lens for portraits but the flexibility the 70-200mm brings with it is priceless for some scenario in portrait shootings so it will get used for this type of photography as well.
What I would like to try in the future is how good the 85mm is in event photography.
I might try to use it for candids when I want to really blur the background so I can shot at f1.8
The 50mm f/1,4 and the 24-70mm f/2,8 are much better for event.

The 50mm f/1,4 and the 24-70mm f/2,8 are much better for event.
Currently I use the 70-200mm 2.8 on my FX and 24-70mm 2.8 on DX
Most the work is done with the 70-200mm.
I would like to try maybe in the future a set of 2 FX cameras, one with 85mm 1.8 and the other with 28mm 1.8

I stand correct the 85mm is sharper then the 70-200mm its incredibly sharp, even thought I used to own this lens in the past I forgot how sharp this lens really is, its incredible, processing the pictures and it blows my mind so much details.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back