Yay new lens!!!!

They're not bad, but watch your contrast, the images feel washed out.

[Added contrast and brightness]
Flower1.jpg

Flower2.jpg

I didn't do a particularly good job, but you get the idea.

Will do, but what exactly could I have done to improve the contrast?

One of the main culprits of washed out images is saturation, but your images are fine so don't worry too much about that. If you shoot raw your editor\converter would have an option for contrast, otherwise you'd have to do it in PP. If your camera has an option for contrast I recommend setting it to low, as this may render an ugly image but it will preserve a lot of detail that you can later use.

If you aren't sure whether or not your image is flat, try increasing the contrast manually and see if it starts to 'pop', I personally could never tell that my images were extremely low contrast until I actually started trying to increase contrast and saw the results.

Might help if I knew what the lens was !

Ok, so sounds like I should maybe continue what I'm doing for now, and once I get my copy of Lightroom 3 I can work on the contrast in lightroom rather than changing camera technique.

And sorry, I suppose I should have stated what lens it was :) It's the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM. Very nice!! If someone as inexperienced as I can get pictures such as those with no tripod or external flash (was too late at night to worry about that), it must be quite a lens :)

Oh and Crollo...I particularly like the change to the second one. The brightness really helped, I think!

Most reactions

Back