Yeah, the Bokeh, the speed, the...... is nice. Do THEY notice?

iflynething

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As photographers, we see the bokeh changes with lenses.

We drool over the latest and greatest of spend and agility coming from the camera.

We see image quality of different lenses.

Does an average person ACTUALLY notice these difference whether subconsciously or not.

No debate about gear and what makes the best picture but do people subconsciously notice differences with pictures when better gear is used?

Case in point: I recently bought a D3 and Sigma 150 (about 3 months apart, but non-the-less recent). I didn't even share my new purchases with my mom or girlfriend. They new I was getting them, but to them, they see just another black Nikon camera and another lens. It doesn't look any different. I personally notice the differences with the said Sigma, but do non photographers actually notice a difference whether they know it or not?

~Michael~

The amount of people buying poor quality wedding and portrait photos says no

I think they may see it, but they may not understand it.

Yes / No. I think the average person does notice it subconsciously, however they either don't care or haven't been exposed to the difference.

I'm sure car nuts say the same thing about the latest Ferrari. But the reality is I've never driven one so I don't know what I'm missing out on. Likewise a lot of people who don't spend their days trawling flickr and TPF who haven't been approached by a wedding photographer with a series of f/1.2 shots probably don't know what they're missing out on.

I am not sure if I fully understand what you are saying here...

Does it matter if other people really understand and appreciate the quality of photo gear?

I know that from a professional and business point of view it matters, but thats not what you said. You said your mother and girlfriend.

I have a personal example that directly relates to what you are talking about.

I havent had my 7D and 70-200 mk II that long, and a few months ago my wife, our son, her parents, and I all went on a day trip to the northern tip of Honshu (the main island of Japan). I took a lot of shots of everyone, and especially my son that day.

When we got home that night I burned a CD of the pics for my wife's parents to have. The next time that I saw them they kept telling me over and over how great they thought the pictures were. They specifically mentioned they thought the lens was really great many times.

Keep in mind that they know very little about photography, and only own a point and shoot.

Oh by the way I sent some of the same pics to my grandparents and mother, and they also said they thought that they were amazing pics.

Here are two from that day that were already in photobucket. I know they arent very good in relation to what is good for this forum, but from a strictly technical standpoint (image quality, sharpness, etc.) and relative to most p&s snapshots they are quite good.

IMG_8738.jpg

IMG_8737.jpg

So ya regular people do notice what good gear is capable of. I wouldnt care much if other people appreciate my gear or not because I shoot mostly for myself anyways.

I think whats important is that you appreciate your gear, because you are the one that paid for it.

If you are a professional then whats really important is that your client is happy with your work. And yes this means even if they dont know what good really is for photos. Its no different than any other type of service or product being sold. If people are willing to pay for it then you have succeeded from a business point of view.

Of course your work actually being good is ideal lol, and will really help you succeed as a pro photographer.

- Neil

I am not sure if I fully understand what you are saying here...

Does it matter if other people really understand and appreciate the quality of photo gear?

I know that from a professional and business point of view it matters, but thats not what you said. You said your mother and girlfriend.

I have a personal example that directly relates to what you are talking about.

I havent had my 7D and 70-200 mk II that long, and a few months ago my wife, our son, her parents, and I all went on a day trip to the northern tip of Honshu (the main island of Japan). I took a lot of shots of everyone, and especially my son that day.

When we got home that night I burned a CD of the pics for my wife's parents to have. The next time that I saw them they kept telling me over and over how great they thought the pictures were. They specifically mentioned they thought the lens was really great many times.

Keep in mind that they know very little about photography, and only own a point and shoot.

Oh by the way I sent some of the same pics to my grandparents and mother, and they also said they thought that they were amazing pics.

Here are two from that day that were already in photobucket. I know they arent very good in relation to what is good for this forum, but from a strictly technical standpoint (image quality, sharpness, etc.) and relative to most p&s snapshots they are quite good.

IMG_8738.jpg

IMG_8737.jpg

So ya regular people do notice what good gear is capable of. I wouldnt care really much if other people appreciate my gear or not because I shoot mostly for myself anyways.

I think whats important is that you appreciate your gear, because you are the one that paid for it.

If you are a professional then whats really important is that your client is happy with your work. And yes this means even if they dont know what good really is for photos. Its no different than any other type of service or product being sold. If people are willing to pay for it then you have succeeded from a business point of view.

Of course your work actually being good is ideal lol, and will really help you succeed as a pro photographer.

- Neil

It was just a generalization. I was only using my girlfriend and mom as an example. They don't care what the gear is and as you have said, it shouldn't matter, because in the end, you are shooting for yourself (well other people are paying you if shooting professionally).

I guess as long as the person you are showing the pictures to is happy, that's all that matters, but they have to like the picture for some reason.

~Michael~

then there is the person who looks at the lens and says, that camera must take great pictures.

then there is the person who looks at the lens and says, that camera must take great pictures.

Ya lol.

A camera is just a tool, its the photographer that makes the pictures. :mrgreen:

There is always someone like that.

Ya lol.

A camera is just a tool, its the photographer that makes the pictures. :mrgreen:

That's what they all say :)

~Michael~

Hum to the tune of Lenonard Cohen's song "Everybody Knows" .
Choose Canon or Nikon as you want...

Everybody knows that the lens makes the picture,
Everybody knows that megapixels rule,
Everybody know that man behind the shutter
is just the camera's tool

Everybody knows that the pros all use (canon/nikon)
Everybody knows that the rest are fools
Everybody know that long zooms are better
and that (Canon/Nikon) straps are cool

Everybody knows that you need good equipment
Everybody knows that money talks
Everybody knows that skills are not needed
Because (Canon/Nikon) says they are not

Everybody knows...
Everybody knows...
Everybody knows...

So There.;)

Hum to the tune of Lenonard Cohen's song "Everybody Knows" .
Choose Canon or Nikon as you want...

Everybody knows that the lens makes the picture,
Everybody knows that megapixels rule,
Everybody know that man behind the shutter
is just the camera's tool

Everybody knows that the pros all use (canon/nikon)
Everybody knows that the rest are fools
Everybody know that long zooms are better
and that (Canon/Nikon) straps are cool

Everybody knows that you need good equipment
Everybody knows that money talks
Everybody knows that skills are not needed
Because (Canon/Nikon) says they are not

Everybody knows...
Everybody knows...
Everybody knows...

So There.;)

Ok, I give up,

You win!

:)

~Michael~

Individually, not so much. Side by side, absolutely. On it's own a corvette is a good looking car; parked next to a Bugatti it looks and feels cheap. Same thing with photos.

Most reactions

Back