Yet Another Lens Question (For Nikon Mount Lenses)

Teresa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photographybyteresa.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay so maybe this is a dumb question. I was recently given the Nikon D200 for christmas and recently bought 2 lenses. Each lens has a rotating ring nearest/closest to the body where it attaches to the camera. What is that rotating ring for? When I am zooming or focusing and I accidently rotate that ring, my camera no longer lets me push the shutter button to take a photo. Is this ring for anything particular or is it just a rotating ring for looks?

Again, I apologize if this is a really out there dumb question but I have always been told a dumb question is one not asked.

i have a sigma 70-210 and a nikkor 28-100 and i am shooting manual in both

here is a photo of my 70-210 and the part with the aperture numbers on it....where there is out a auto/manual lock function that ring is the one that turns.

_PAS2373.jpg

That is the aperture ring. On non-automatic cameras it sets the f stop; on newer bodies, the camera controls it internally. Set the aperture to it's maximum (largest number) and slide the little switch beside it to that it's leve with the orange line, and leave it there. All will be well.

THANKS SO MUCH tirediron...i have been asking that all over forums all evening and you are the only one to come up with that answer. sounds reasonable to me! thanks so much

THANKS SO MUCH tirediron...i have been asking that all over forums

Are you serious? That's photography 101, doesn't say much for the other forums out there. Doesn't anyone have equipment that is more than 2 years old :lol:

Are you serious? That's photography 101, doesn't say much for the other forums out there. Doesn't anyone have equipment that is more than 2 years old :lol:
Hey... gimme a break wouldja... I was enjoying feeling all smart 'n stuff! :er:

Hey... gimme a break wouldja... I was enjoying feeling all smart 'n stuff! :er:

Man people are edgy today, gimme a break I am already spending my evening apologising. :p I was just trying to say how much smarter we are as a forum, not discredit you :cheers:

Man people are edgy today, gimme a break I am already spending my evening apologising. :p I was just trying to say how much smarter we are as a forum, not discredit you :cheers:

"The sum of the parts is greater than their individual values"

Me! Me! I have equipment that is way older.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back