Yet another try at backlit portraits..

DisasterDan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This time! I shot with some new equipment for the first time. 1D Mark ii N and a Ab800 with a 64" shoot through PLM. Considering im still learning the camera, and brand new to the AlienBee (not that hard really) I think they came out alright. Pretty excited to get out and shoot again soon. Anywho Here is three for yall

Tear em' up!

TUCO0347 by Daniel Palmerton, on Flickr

TUCO0313 by Daniel Palmerton, on Flickr
3. I forgot to clone out the tiny wires in the upper right corner, also no fill was used on this one.

I really like the 2nd photo, but I would clean up her arm pit a bit.

Tearing per req:

1. This isn't a backlit shot; it's an okay portrait, but the lighting is a little harsh (blown highlights in the white shirt, no detail in the hair). I think you really needed a kicker, camera right to even out the exposure and bring some detail to her hair.

2. Love it! Great shot; just a little straightening and maybe crop some of the empty space on top, and you've got a winner!

3. I'm afraid this one does nothing for me. I think if she was posed so that we could see at least a little of her face it would help.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

2 is easily the best, the first is a little stiff, the 3rd is great, but the exposure, and pose, on 2 is perfect. Digital alot of times has trouble with backlighting because of it's limited dynamic range, if you can give Portra 400 a shot, do the same thing with it and you'll still have all your detail in the sky while the skin tones still look awesome.

Sweet its looking like two is good! Also haha the 1st and 3rd are the wrong ones :er: guess thats what the "Preview Post" Button would be useful for. Thanks for the input though!

A big part of the issue with #1 is her shoulder position. Her shoulders are to square to the camera.

I agree, when I saw the picture the first thing that I thought was "Does she need to shave or is there shadow playing some wierd trick in her pit?" I'd clean that up and call that photo a winner.

I personally like them all. If these were shots of my daughter/family member, I'd pay for them.

Only thing I'd suggest is the last one, maybe lighting her back just a tad more since the setting sun was so bright.

The second is by far the best pose, but as a general rule, you typically don't shoot into a person's armpit.

The first has the best lighting, even if it is a bit flat, but the pose isn't great. The shoulders straight on to the camera doesn't really work for this type of shot and if you would have had her turn and give a pose like the second, it would have been a winner. As it is, it's just a bit flat.

The second, like I said, I like the pose minus the arm pit but this shot has some real potential with some editing.

The third, I know what you were going for and I love the idea, but overall, it just doesn't work for me.

If I were you, I would redit the second one and wow us all. It has a lot of potential.

Most reactions

Back