Yongnuo 560 setup question.

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I got 2 of these units for X-mas and was trying one of them out on my D90 with the unit attached to the camera's hot shoe. I'm not getting the results I anticipated so I wonder if I'm doing something wrong?

I understand these are "dummy" flashes and only work in Manual mode, which I have tried on my camera, but either the flash output is way less than I expected it to be or I am doing something wrong.

If I attach them to the camera's hot shoe, should I be using adjusting the camera from i-TTL to Manual mode in the custom settings (e5 I believe)? Do I leave the flash on "M" or change it to S1 or S2?

Just a little confused. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

So I got 2 of these units for X-mas and was trying one of them out on my D90 with the unit attached to the camera's hot shoe. I'm not getting the results I anticipated so I wonder if I'm doing something wrong?

I understand these are "dummy" flashes and only work in Manual mode, which I have tried on my camera, but either the flash output is way less than I expected it to be or I am doing something wrong.

If I attach them to the camera's hot shoe, should I be using adjusting the camera from i-TTL to Manual mode in the custom settings (e5 I believe)? Do I leave the flash on "M" or change it to S1 or S2?

Just a little confused. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Use M on the flash.. the S1 and S2 are slave settings. If I remember correctly.. S1 is like normal slave, and S2 ignores the TTL pre-flash when using the TTL capability on your other Nikon / Canon Flashes (when mixing the flashes!)

I would also use the camera in full manual... since these flashes wont communicate with the camera.

I use the 560's primarily as background / hair lights...

I would also use the camera in full manual... since these flashes wont communicate with the camera.

Is this true even when connected to the hot shoe? You literally mean that they will NOT communicate with the camera? Wow.

I tried to take a couple of shots today inside. The flash fired immediately and then there was a long shutter speed. Lots of blur.

Is that because my manual settings were off? I am not sure I'm loving these flashes.

Is this true even when connected to the hot shoe? You literally mean that they will NOT communicate with the camera? Wow.

I tried to take a couple of shots today inside. The flash fired immediately and then there was a long shutter speed. Lots of blur.

Is that because my manual settings were off? I am not sure I'm loving these flashes.

Manual flashes will only "fire" on a camera.. that is all the "communication" they do!
icon_smile.gif
Manual is the best (only???) way to shoot these flashes. You could use other settings, but there will be more guesswork. The flash will tell you the correct aperture to use, for a given distance... if you check it. This flash has no "Auto" function even.. where the flash will meter the the amount of light, and shut off at assumed proper exposure. Strictly manual!

Sounds like you had it A or S.. and the camera metered a long exposure. It didn't know that there was a flash on top... so it went for what it could "see". Welcome to the way flash used to be... 30 years ago or so.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it was on P, full automatic, which is what threw me off. I will have more time tomorrow to mess with it.

You were shooting on "Professional"... shame on you! :) lol!

You were shooting on "Professional"... shame on you! :) lol!

Tis true--just messing around with the new flash. I am not sure I understand this flash at all. It may be going back.

You might check this out: (just a quick google! Lots more out there)

How to use Manual Flash by ~Tiberius47 on deviantART

Thanks. I'll take a look. It's not so much manual flash that's got me confused but the lack of power in this particular unit and the delayed shutter actuation after the flash. With the Yongy on my camera, I snapped the photo--the flash fired immediately and then there was a pause before the shutter actuated. Then the photo came out underexposed, as if the flash fired before the shutter ever opened. I don't get it, but I'm still looking...

I use a yongnuo YN460 speedlight and I absolutely love it!
It was my first flash and I made sure not to get something with an 'auto' ability as I actually wanted to learn exactly how to use the flash not just let it do the work for me.
Sure it takes a while to get the hang of it - but now I can shoot full manual and can tell exactly what settings I need the flash on in order to get the perfect image

My model also packs quite a bit of power
I use it primarily with a 80cm softbox off camera and I love the results!

It's a really cheap and dirty flash and it works great! I would always recommend it to anyone wanting to learn the basics of lighting with an external flash.

These flashes really aren't designed to be used on-camera - yes it can be used this way but it will be an arduous route with a lot of frustration along the way, even though ultimately you will end up with more knowledge than anyone who purely sticks with the ETTL/iTTL route.

Personally I would learn on camera flash with an ETTL/iTTL flash and then once you are comfortable with it (bouncing it, knowing how to use it as a fill, knowing when to apply flash exposure compensation (FEC) etc) you'll more than likely progress to the stage where you'll realise the limitations and want to start using flashes off-camera where the 560's will be very useful. It's at this stage when learning to take full control (as well as ETTL/iTTL) will come in to play but you'll already have a much greater understanding of what's going on.

You might check this out: (just a quick google! Lots more out there)

How to use Manual Flash by ~Tiberius47 on deviantART

Thanks. I'll take a look. It's not so much manual flash that's got me confused but the lack of power in this particular unit and the delayed shutter actuation after the flash. With the Yongy on my camera, I snapped the photo--the flash fired immediately and then there was a pause before the shutter actuated. Then the photo came out underexposed, as if the flash fired before the shutter ever opened. I don't get it, but I'm still looking...

Shoot in manual. Don't shoot faster than 1/250 shutter speed. If ambient is metering as over exposed, close your aperture up and turn up the power on the flash to compensate.

If you haven't looked here, go for it.
Strobist: Lighting 101

Also, these guys are having a meet on the 21st. If you can make it, I'll clear my schedule so I can go and bring along some of my flashes and stuff so we can learn you something.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back