colonelcamp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I will be visiting Yosemite in March. Has anyone been there? How was it?

Thanks,
Danny

Hi,

I will be visiting Yosemite in March. Has anyone been there? How was it?

Thanks,
Danny
No. No one else has ever been to Yosemite. You will be the first ever. ;)

I haven't been in years. I used to rock and ice climb and spent a lot of time there back in the 1970's.

It's beautiful, but it can get really crowded. In March, it isn't really crowded during the week, but can get that way on the weekends.

If you are going to be camping, be sure and put all your food stuffs in the bear boxes. Don't leave any food in your car. I've seen many a car door window and/or window frame peeled open by a bear like they were made of tin foil. I've even seen pickup truck camper sheels peeled open. Bears are very strong and can run a lot faster than a human. Be mindful, March is the beginning of spring, so the boy bears will be feeling their oats and on the lookout for female bears that are in heat.

These days, it seems fewer people venture to the mountains.

If you can plan it that way, be at the Tunnel parking lot before daybreak so you can setup and get a shot of the entire valley. El Capitan will be on your left and Half Dome will be in the distance on the right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yosemite_Valley

Last edited:
I have been there but only spent a day there. It sucked ( wel it was still awesome but not as good as it could be ) when I was there because it was just before winter so the falls weren't running ( no water runoff from winter yet ) Supposedly the spring is really good for wildflowers, wildlife, and waterfalls. You can get all of the cliche spots from the tourist areas like the tunnel parking lot pretty easily. If you plan on venturing out into the wilderness, I would advise some sort of protection, and perhaps a plan incase you get lost ( GPS, Flare, Strobe light, whistle, matches etc ). And learn about Animals and how to deter them or avoid situations with them. Like Bears and Wildcats mainly. Yosemite park is HUGE though. The valley is the most famous and photographed part, but it takes you like an hour to drive from each end of the park, so its quite a massive area. You could probably spend a year there and not see every part of it. There is also the massive Mariposa Grove with the largest trees which is close to the Southern most entrance. I have been to the mountains in Tennessee, North Carolina, New York, Pennsylvania, Viginia, Vermont, Colorado, and Arizona ( including the grand canyon ) and Yosemite is probably the most beautiful place I have ever been, even in the dullness of late autumn, early winter. You will love it. The only place that I think would come close to matching it, might be the Canadian Rockies ( since much of that area is preserved ) but I have not been there yet unfortunately.

There's nothing to see except for rocks, trees and water. You should just stay home...LOL! j/k

I live about 1.5 hours from the park, so I try to go there as much as possible. In March, the high country will still be closed for the winter, but there are plenty of photo ops in the valley and the Wawona area.

If you're going to be there near the end of February to early March, I suggest trying to photograph Horsestail Falls.

Most reactions

Back