you think lenses are costly?

den9

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
theres a reason. this doesnt even include the engineering and design.

ps: does anyone think the beginning with the music remind you of a late 80s drug dealing film? what is that powder? fluorite?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUKjAk8Q-x0&feature=related"]YouTube - CANON?LENS?MAKER[/ame]

That white powder is often called sand. When it is melted it makes glass. It's a pretty amazing process.

Here it is in English:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkWsk9rXpcU"]YouTube - Canon Lens Production (Part 1)[/ame]

I was hoping the video would continue all the way to the final assembly of the product.. I was also a little interested in how the coatings are applied.
The coatings were applied by vapor deposition in part 2. Final lens assembly was in part 3.
Part 2: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T7BDeMU_Ks&feature=related[/ame]
Part 3: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpkAWZTwqI4&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited:
Agree with you about the music, but then I am watching Miami Vice, (the tv show not the movie), right now. Cool video, thanks for sharing.

That white powder is often called sand. When it is melted it makes glass. It's a pretty amazing process.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

it looks too powdery to look like sand, i figured they use special stuff for extra clarity.

you might not believe this but im a glazier. :confused:

i noticed they said they removed impurities like iron, if it contained iron it would be greenish

1211288547.jpg

Thats pretty cool. I can now understand why it costs so much...

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

it looks too powdery to look like sand, i figured they use special stuff for extra clarity.

you might not believe this but im a glazier. :confused:

Well, people made glass for thousands of years using quartz sand and potash,and heat...it's pretty low-tech at the base level: some sand and the ash from burned wood, sort of a type of salt if you will and lots of heat and presto--you've made glass!!! Glass does not have to be very complicated, although some of the really *new*,modern, funky stuff like fluorite glass and the new extra-low dispersion glass dates only to the 1960's. But basically, glass is made of,for the most part, finely powdered.....sand.

I don't know if anybody has seen the incredibly beautiful,strange, sculptural-like artifacts created when a lightning bolt hits sand; the resulting object is an incredibly beautiful thing that typically resembles some sort of crystalline sculpture. it's almost impossible to describe how beautiful these things are, and they are created in less than one second,as the lightning instantly electrifies and melts pure,plain sand.

This is a brief bit from a web source at Answers.com.

Common raw materials used for making glass consist of the following:
Sand: finely divided rock and mineral particles, typically high in silica (silicon dioxide: SiO2).
Soda ash: sodium carbonate: Na2CO3.
Dolomite: calcium magnesium carbonate: CaMg(CO3)2.
Limestone: a sedimentary rock composed largely of the mineral calcite (calcium carbonate: CaCO3).
Salt cake: sodium sulfate, the sodium salt of sulfuric acid: Na2SO4.
Other materials may be used as colorants, refining agents or to adjust the physical and chemical properties of the glass.
There are many different types of glass. In the technical sense, glass is an inorganic product of fusion which has been cooled through the glass transition to a rigid condition without crystallizing.

Considering the process, time, and technology involved, I am actually pretty amazed that (Canon and Nikon in particular) can deliver the product at such low prices.

Once you look at other manufacturers of lenses (for different uses in industry and commercial) and how much they cost (especially those that are produced in limited quantities) you'll actually have a different perspective on cost.

I was hoping the video would continue all the way to the final assembly of the product.. I was also a little interested in how the coatings are applied.

Considering the process, time, and technology involved, I am actually pretty amazed that (Canon and Nikon in particular) can deliver the product at such low prices.

mass production, low wages. they sell so many of these lenses they can afford to sell them cheaper.

leica on the other hand, very high and well deserved wages. lower production. probably hand made and super fine quality.

Considering the craftsmanship involved. They are worth their price.
However, I would say that better to make the entire process automated and bring down the cost of lenses even more.
This holds true for amateur photographers like me, who need to save for years to buy a decent lens.

Considering the craftsmanship involved. They are worth their price.
However, I would say that better to make the entire process automated and bring down the cost of lenses even more.
This holds true for amateur photographers like me, who need to save for years to buy a decent lens.

usually this leads to reduced quality control too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back