Young and Dumb (NSFW: language)

from revulsion to pity for the future,
This is quite unnecessary and omitting it would have made your point stronger.

Why is an honest statement of the personal emotion generated by the image any more unnecessary then to say an image of a basket full of puppies made me feel good all over? Did you also read that " bringing emotion (good or bad) to the viewer is what makes an image relevant"? Or, on critique " you must first put aside personal feelings on the subject". I neither judged the subject matter, nor did I presume to know the mood the photographer meant to portray, only to offer honest feedback for the photographer to compare to their vision.
Smoke, I'm not trying to judge your feelings, so if that's how you felt, sorry for misreading. So you know where my comment came from:

A sentence before the quoted portion, you said: "I recently read something on critiques either of your own work, or others, is that you must first put aside personal feelings on the subject" (underlined emphasis added by me).

And then, you went on to include your personal emotions in the very next sentence. I found that to be very interesting; thus, my indication that removing that information would have made your point stronger.

A sentence before the quoted portion, you said: "I recently read something on critiques either of your own work, or others, is that you must first put aside personal feelings on the subject" (underlined emphasis added by me).

And then, you went on to include your personal emotions in the very next sentence. I found that to be very interesting; thus, my indication that removing that information would have made your point stronger.

One of my problems is that the brain sometimes exceeds the capabilities of my typing and a truncated version is the result. While I don't subscribe to the model's lifestyle, I can put that aside, to give an honest critique, on an very import element of the composition - Emotion. Since early times, emotion has always been a part of art, the artist attempts to tell stories or depict ideas; that in turn expresses or stirs emotions in the viewer. Art can be a record of what the artist is feeling or what they want to project which if successful brings about emotional reactions in the viewer. In the 20th century, this type of art has been called Expressionist Art. Everyone knows the emotional aspect of Picasso or Frida Kahlo, to eliminate emotion from the image is to turn it back into a snapshot. Whether I subscribe to the lifestyle is irrelevant in the critique, what is relevant is that it elicited an emotion.

Getting back to critiquing the photos, I can only imagine the difficulty of getting any quality at all in the circumstances you must have had. Either the first model is a natural at posing or you have given her some wonderful direction. These photos are very interesting and as we have seen, very evocative. Hope you will give us more soon!

The white dot that is left of the subject in the first pic; is that some kind of lens flare? If it was accidental I think it’s great. If it was intensional you are awesome. It keeps drawing me back in to the subject. I think because it lines up with her ear plug.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Most reactions

New Topics

Back