Photos OK to edit
  • DSC_0109-2-2.jpg
    DSC_0065-2.jpg
    DSC_0070-2.jpg
    DSC_0147-2.jpg
some of my favorites
DSC_0134-2.jpg
from a recent session I did.

What it says on the t-shirt is part of the trouble in the world today.....

Like the third one a lot.

Remember to number your photos so people can reference them.

I really like these, both color and black and white.

Number 2 is my favorite!

The second shot is my favorite. I'm glad you did a second post. Yesterday, I stopped by your site and looked at your work. You've got better skills than most 25 year-old shooters, and I thought you had some good stuff on-line. I know from Instagram that this type of portraiture, neon-lighted,on-location work is a growing new sub-genre. I was following a fellow from Germany who was doing a lot of this work. I don't know anything about it from first-hand experience, but it does appear that exposure is tricky in this type of light.

These are interesting people,and the lighting is new and exciting and different from what we'e been seeing for the past century. I think maybe experimenting with post-processing fill lighting on the last frame would be worthwhile, to see if you can coax out a bit more shadow information while still keeping that neat, neon highlighting on the body and neck and under-chin area. On the first couple of shots, the neon light appears like it might have over-saturated the red channel on the forehead, or maybe the contrast level is a bit too high. I saw by your personal info on TPF that your next goal is learning Photoshop, and I think that might be an area where the levels adjustment and tone curve adjustment might make these neon-lighted shots stronger. I'm not 100 percent sure, since I have not shot this close to neon tubes before, but I think that the color response of neon might benefit from having the Levels and the Curves dialog boxes manipulated by the photographer in the post processing stages.

I just wanted to offer you some encouragement. Again, I stopped by your site yesterday, you have better skills than most at your age.

Last edited:
To add to what Derrel said ... Better skills than many at ANY age! Learning Photoshop would take those skills to the next level. :)

I recently read something on critiques either of your own work, or others, is that you must first put aside personal feelings on the subject. Your images bring out a lot of emotions for me, from revulsion to pity for the future, and as a photographer/artist bringing emotion to the viewer is what makes an image relevant. From a technical standpoint could you have improved? Maybe, but by doing so you might have lost some of the moment. Something else read, opportunity trumps technical. Good set!

from revulsion to pity for the future,
This is quite unnecessary and omitting it would have made your point stronger.

Why is an honest statement of the personal emotion generated by the image any more unnecessary then to say an image of a basket full of puppies made me feel good all over? Did you also read that " bringing emotion (good or bad) to the viewer is what makes an image relevant"? Or, on critique " you must first put aside personal feelings on the subject". I neither judged the subject matter, nor did I presume to know the mood the photographer meant to portray, only to offer honest feedback for the photographer to compare to their vision.

from revulsion to pity for the future,
This is quite unnecessary and omitting it would have made your point stronger.

Why is an honest statement of the personal emotion generated by the image any more unnecessary then to say an image of a basket full of puppies made me feel good all over? Did you also read that " bringing emotion (good or bad) to the viewer is what makes an image relevant"? Or, on critique " you must first put aside personal feelings on the subject". I neither judged the subject matter, nor did I presume to know the mood the photographer meant to portray, only to offer honest feedback for the photographer to compare to their vision.

Like Smoke665 I found the images disturbing. Also like Smoke 665 I put my personal feelings aside and commented on the images. I think if you read his comment carefully you'll see it for what it is. It's actually a bigger compliment than would probably be given by someone who shares the model's lifestyle. :)

Most reactions

Back