Young Ice Skater

Graelwyn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I decided to try out my D200 since I now have it. Didn't have much luck, but I consider this one to be a reasonable effort. I am not sure which framing works best, so I have placed two different crops

For some reason, it will only show the links.

2002049553781319362_rs.jpg

33 views, no comments. One would ask, how is someone who isn't totally experiences, meant to learn if there is no criticism, no comments on what is being done right, what is being done wrong etc etc? One posts photos here in hopes of some constructive criticism or even encourgement. Instead, one returns, feeling deflated and discouraged by the lack of comments. Not just to this, but to other images posted. We all started somewhere, we don't start out with this marvellous glut of expertise... and we learn from others. I am not learning because my images are being looked at and left uncommented on. So, I am left assuming they are a total pile of crap because, strange as it may seem, I am an underconfident photographer to begin. But maybe I do not yet meet the standard required to be considered a photographer, and these are coming across as just snapshots.. I dont know, but I sure wish my photos would be commented on as portraiture is my main area of interest.

No worries - sometimes threads just fly by and people miss commenting. Also, the number of views are very deceptive. There are lots of habitual 'browsers' (I am alot of the time) in addition to web spiders and such which just cruise the net - and obviously the robots aren't going to be the one to comment.

Now, regarding your photo, it is such an important point in time for this lovely young lady - but people might have a hard time 'connecting' especially with the title. If I was to simply look at this photo I would take from it that she looks a tad bit unsure, it is cold outside and she is concentrating hard. Essentially what I am saying is sometimes the obvious needs to be made more clear. I was once told by a professional NG photographer - take the 'big picture' and then narrow in to the details. Essentially, if you can have this image combined with perhaps a close up of skates, or two mitted hands gripping each other, along with a full view of her holding on to a chair on the ice/doing her skates up etc etc. it would completely fill the viewer in with the rest of the story.

Otherwise, I prefer your first crop, the colours looks spectacular and the exposure is spot on. It may just be my screen but I believe your focus might be falling more on her shoulder as opposed to on the eyes - you are probably more able to tell that by looking at your full sized image. The only other thought that is popping to mind is I would usually prefer a little seperation from the background. Her hair blends right into the background, and that is probably due to your use of flash. (? Correct me if I am wrong)

:)

Well, I am just getting the hang of this nikon. I have never used a digital slr before and I have only had it a few days. This was just an attempt to get myself using it. The child was in motion at the time, and none of the more full length shots seemed to capture very well...probably as I was relying on the camera's built in flash. I have yet to be able to afford a flashgun having spent the cash on the camera itself. It was too dimly lit to not use flash, that is for sure lol.

Had I known the child and her dad, I could have asked her to pose or maybe to slow down, but I am pretty shy and didnt dare ask. The original shot is larger, but it looks silly as you can see someone elses pair of skates and a reflection from those skates in the ice if I recall

I will let you decide but generally it is slightly risky to take photos of children you don't know in public without parents permission. As of right now it is still legal in almost all countries, but just keep your head up on that one :)

An external flash is defintely a wonderful investment. I would highly recommend when you get it, to look into dragging your shutter and second curtain sync (ugh. I always mess up my word order there)

I wouldnt have a clue how to do that, lol. I truly am a novice with this camera and with certain techniques. I have always just used my instincts before as I am hopeless at reading up on the technical jargon...but alas, I shall have to make some compromise in this situation.

The father was aware of me and I am female, have never had issues before, but I do usually ask parents anyway if I am focussing specifically on their child. The flashguns are so expensive and only a few seem suited to my model...to my knowledge. If there was a cheaper make that would fit my d200, would be pretty good.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back