Your favorite medium format camera?

A little off topic but I got a chance in the early 90's to scan actual film that was on Conrad's Apollo 12 mission. Touching/scanning negs that were on the moon was exciting.

All 6 of the Apollo moon landings left at least one Hassy body (most left two) on the surface of the moon. The moonwalk(s) were done, and there were other cameras on the command module still in orbit. So the astronauts just ditched the Hassies on the surface of the moon in order to reduce lift-off weight of the lunar module's ascent stage. They removed the film backs first. Anything that didn't need to go back to earth (or at least the trip back up to the command/service modules) got left behind. They also tossed out their moon suits, garbage, and yes, even bags of poop.

So the cameras and lenses are still up there. Free for the taking.

Ahhhh, I hadn't know that cameras were left behind. Thanks :)

A little off topic but I got a chance in the early 90's to scan actual film that was on Conrad's Apollo 12 mission. Touching/scanning negs that were on the moon was exciting.

SO COOL! :)

Mamiya m645 1000s.
'cause I owned one.

Still have mine, use it and love it. Never cared for waist level finders, so bought the prism finder. Adds a bit more weight but it's much easier for me.

mine broke. :blueface:
i had the prism finder as well.
and an 80mm f/4 macro.

For John:

IMG_0575-X2.jpg

This is my favorite. By far. I missed it so much that I bought an H2, which I'm debating switching out for an H3D. The H2 is compatible with film backs AND third party digital backs, whereas the H3D is quite limited to Hasselblad digital backs only.

Hasselblad H1 by Michael Long, on Flickr

I sold my Hasselblad 500C/M three years ago and I'm very sorry about that...:BangHead:

Last edited:
A few years ago, I sold off all my medium format cameras, mostly Mamiya 645, RB67, and C330. They'd sat gathering dust since I converted to digital. A few months ago, I got the urge to start taking M/F transparencies again, and started looking for more equipment. After searching eBay, I found a Mamiya 645 Pro TL in Japan. It had nearly everything I needed to restart; $500, + $35 shipping. The Japanese are very conservative in their condition ratings. These items appeared nearly mint condition, but rated good by the seller. Everything works perfectly.
  • Body and A/E finder
  • 3 backs
  • 50-110mm zoom
  • 45mm f2.8
  • 4 extension tubes
  • 2x Mamiya T/C
Since then, I've picked up the following lenses for nearly "fire sale" prices:
  • 80mm f1.9
  • 500mm f5.6
  • 300mm f5.6
  • 210mm f4
  • 120mm f4 Macro
I just finished my first roll of Fuji Velvia ISO 50. It's being processed and scanned now.

Very good deal ! :1247:

Me too I bought from Japan and the lenses appeared nearly mint too ! The price is right and prompt shippong :joyous:

Favorite ever, bar non: Seitz 6×17 Panoramic. I have made a lot of very nice prints from this one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back