Your first camera

Newtricks

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Expiring minds want to know... my 8th birthday, 1970, my father gave me the Brownie box camera he carried while deployed in Korea, I've had a camera in my hands ever since. When did you get your first camera and what was it?

A Canon T-70 ~ 6 years ago. Had played around with my fathers Olympus OM-1 for many years before that. I have a slighe kit addition but the canons have always been my favourite, a T90 is my main body now, as it has more modes.

I got an Ansco Cadet II for my birthday in 1964 and a Kodak Signet 40 for Christmas that same year. I still have both of them.

I bought a new Nikon FM10 in the mid 90's. I learned alot with that all manual camera.

First real camera: I got my dad's Ansco Viking and a Weston II for my 12th birthday. Before that, I spent several years helping my dad in his darkroom and before that, I was following him around with my drugstore filmless camera. Camera's and photography has pretty much been a life long obsession for me. I often wonder if it wasn't for my father's interest in photography if I would have ever had more then a P&S for holidays and vacations.

Last edited:
Expiring minds want to know... my 8th birthday, 1970, my father gave me the Brownie box camera he carried while deployed in Korea, I've had a camera in my hands ever since. When did you get your first camera and what was it?
Doesn't that make eating tough if you always have a camera in your hands?:D

It wasn't until 7 years later at the county fair and carnival that I actually realized I was interested in photography. It cost me 75 cents and three tries to grab that little camera out from the other items in that carnival claw machine. There it was, gleaming brighter than the barrel of an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle with a compass in the stock. My very own miniature no name camera. The instructions strategically rubber banded to the camera said that it actually took pictures. All you had to do was send in your money to get a roll of miniature film. Film it turned out that also worked in the Minox B that was so popular in the great black and white television spy shows such as The Man from U.N.C.L.E. I sent away my money, got my film and shot away. The developed results left much to be desired, but I was the best spy on the block, because I had a real camera.

I was given a Vivitar 35mm point and shoot (can't remember the model) when I was in high school, and I considered that a big step up from the Kodak 110s we'd had. But over the course of the next couple of years, I started developing a desire to do more creative things than just snapshots, and that's when I started to despise the Vivitar. I bought a K1000 in March 1993 as a combination graduation/birthday present for myself. Still have it, still use it, still love it.

Around 1968 or '69. The family had some kind of little Kodak camera (don't remember what) and I *loved* using it, so my grandmother decided to give me my grandfather's old Kodak brownie, which he'd used extensively when he lived and worked in South America and the Azores in the very late 30s and 40s. My g'father died before I was born, but that camera (along with a bunch of slides and negatives of his that she also gave me) made me feel a special connection to him.

I still have that old Brownie. One day maybe I'll restore it, as it's not currently in working condition.

I started with my Dad's Circa 1970 Pentax Spotmatic. Still have it.

The first camera I remember is the Kodak Six-20 Flash Brownie. It belonged to my mother, but I played with it.

$Screen Shot 2014-03-02 at 7.51.15 AM - Version 2.jpg

The first camera that was actually my own was the Kodak Brownie Holiday Camera. Extremely cheap, but that is what was within budget.

$Screen Shot 2014-03-02 at 7.52.44 AM - Version 2.jpg

The first 35mm that I used was also my mother's camera; Kodak Pony 135, Model C.

$Screen Shot 2014-03-02 at 8.00.27 AM - Version 2.jpg

Last edited:
My first real camera (I'm not including the Kodak 110 Instamatic I used to have) was a Canon TLb that I bought at a friend's camera shop. I paid $50.00 for it, and it came with 28mm and 135mm lenses (not high quality glass). My brother was shooting a Canon F-1, so I was able to use his lenses.

This was probably around 1976 or 1977...

I used several 'borrowed' cameras in you youth until I raised my own money and bought a Pentax K1000. I consider that my first camera.

I was ten years old in 1964, my parents gave me a Kodak Instamatic with pop up flash that required a new bulb for each flash.

I really caught the camera bug in about 1977 while I was stationed on Okinawa. I bought a Yashica 35mm slr off a fellow jarhead. Six months later I resold that camera, and bought into the Canon F1 system.

Bought a Canon F1n in1986 or so, which I still have. Bought my Nikon D3200 a couple years ago.

Doesn't that make eating tough if you always have a camera in your hands?:D

No... but folks do tend to stare when you're holding a stake in one hand and ripping chunks off with your teeth.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back