Your Pocket/Compact Cam

Jaq

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm interested in what type of compact camera everyone here rolls with, from complete noobies to the pros. Most people don't post them in their sigs, and you just can't take your SLR out on a date(unless its the sweetest date ever and you shoot together) or to the movies, and god forbid you miss a great shot! Do you even bother with compact cameras? Post 'em!

My compact is the Panasonic Lumix FX500. I slightly regret buying it, however its 25-125mm f2.8-5.6 lens is amazing. The touch screen LCD can be useful, and they were smart enough to give it tactile controls as well. I sometimes wish I had splurged and invested in the LX3 because it's so damn sexy.

I also recently (like yesterday) converted a Canon A70 to IR, and while a little bulky, I might tote this with me when I'm feeling a little edgy/creative.

How about you guys?

I've got a Canon 1100 IS for my wife and at work I've got a cheap Nikon P60.

If I could afford it, I'd have a Canon G10 for a pocket camera....and/or one of the Olympus W/S cameras.

I carry an Olympus Camedia, 4.1MP, fixed focal length, it produces surprisingly good images and I prefer the lack of zoom on a camera of this class, it makes me slow down and compose my shots more carefully.

I have an older Coolpix 4200 I keep in the truck (and occasionally remember to recharge the batteries for), and a not so compact S5IS.

I used to carry a Nikon Coolpix 8700 for my travel (pocket) camera. I have to carry alot of stuff when I travel for work so I wanted something good, but also fairly small (although no where near pocket size). It is small enough to not take much room. But when in Italy it really showed its lack of low light capabilities (even with SB-80DX).

So I have now switched to a Nikon D40x for my pocket camera. :lol: At least its smaller than my D300's, especially the first D300 with the grip attached. I only have the kit lens for it at the moment (not going to carry the good glass with it). I think I will get the new Tamron 18-270 for a jack of all trades lens for it. Nice and compact too.

I realy like my Nikon P6000. I was considering the Canon version but when it came out it was a no-brainer since I have an SB-800.

I have a P5100 that I'm satisfied with as long as I leave it on auto ISO. It really is compact, a little bigger than a pack of cigs. The only thing is, I need to get a flash. I'm a people shooter, and that red eye is a killa.

I have a P5100 that I'm satisfied with as long as I leave it on auto ISO. It really is compact, a little bigger than a pack of cigs. The only thing is, I need to get a flash. I'm a people shooter, and that red eye is a killa.

I'd say get a slave but you still need the onboard for that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back