Your St Patrick's day experiences?

JerryPH

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What made your St Paddys day photographic experiences unique?

I ended up with ~300 photos (came early and kinda sorta documented the people filling the streets), and some very sore legs. Standing for near 5 hours on hard concrete/ashphalt in warm but hard winter boots was not the most fun aspect of the day. I had come very early to get parking and in general just shoot a bit of the Montreal downtown core.

Most intresting aspect? Conversing and then getting 10 email addresses of people that wanted to see my pics afterwards... lol

Most fun? Getting the parade, of course!

Most weird? I have a pic of a "construction guy" mannequin giving a police car a ticket and another mannequin chasing someone running across the street... oh, the gold Elvis selling beads came in second in the "most wierd" selection.

It was the first time that I actively looked to shoot people and was lightly hesitant to walk up to someone and ask, but did anyway (pre-parade that is, once it was closer to the parade it was easy to ask and also not ask and just shoot away). None refused and one of the gals that I shot gave her telephone number and asked me to call her (she ended up being in the parade! Silly me I wasted time waving at her instead of taking her pic. :lol: ).

It was easy to get infected with the fun of it all. The music, the pagentry and overall very positive spirit of the crowd was excellent.

I had a chance to chin-wag with several photographers. One guy had an easy $30,000Cdn hanging from his nek (2 D3s and 2 Canons, both top of the line and the best lenses each could offer). I saw a poseur that was trying to convince me that a NYIP tag was a real local news paper press pass (NYIP is a photography school... lol). Most were genuinely GREAT people and would have happily chatted with me all through the parade had I not ended the conversations and walked away in time to my self-selected "best spot in the house" before things got really packed.

Once I get them PPed and put on flickr, I will post a link to the slideshow for those that want to be traumiized with taking a look.

Sore legs and feet aside, I loved it and will definately go back again next year!

What made your St Paddys day photographic experiences unique?

I don't know but I came there (in the city) awfully late and the crowds were on the opposite direction on the way home - lots of people alright. Also the number of people with DSLRs were staggering, infact my d40 look so small compared with many there.

There was a wedding in the park. Alright they were also on their walking out home and the two photogs have 2 cams each - both were D3s. Their tripod look so sturdy I am sure I can dance on top of it without collapsing :lol:.

Sore legs and feet aside, I loved it and will definately go back again next year!

For me next week, twice to be exact. One day to the easter show for my daughter and one day for my shooting habit. I will try sunny16 this time which I just found out couple days ago on the net - and I promise I won't look on the LCD for the outcome, hopefully though. That is if I am not that lazy.

ISO 100 --- 1/100 asecond --- f16 for bright sunny day. So my d40 should be set as:
ISO 200 --- 1/200 asecond --- f11

Err I forgot already what is the next mantra. Ok I need to re have a look :lol:.

I will try sunny16 this time which I just found out couple days ago on the net - and I promise I won't look on the LCD for the outcome, hopefully though. That is if I am not that lazy.

I'd rather depend on my camera's meter more than a rule that was made for 35mm film cameras. ;)

Yesterday was SO overcast and cloudy, so no F/16 for me. We had flakes of snow with our St. Patrick's day. I am glad it held off from becoming an all out snow storm. We've our share of snow here in Montreal this season. :thumbdown:

Next mantra? How about never shoot straight on with a flash? Better yet, never use a flash that is mounted on the camera for anything other than mild fill flash, and better yet, only used as a trigger to set off your strobes. I like that one. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back