yup...I'm addicted to film... have a few questions

The camera most likely has a simple center-weighted metering area, so the bright sky fooled the meter into forcing you to underexpose the images. Moral: learn to recognize when the meter is lying to you and how to 'correct' the settings for 'proper' exposure

The 5th shot is a film advance error. It may well be the camera simply did not advance the film far enough to place unexposed film behind the shutter. It could be a mere one-of anomaly, and it could be a sign of a mechanical issue.

As for buying b&w film, if buying the film is an issue, developing will be more of an issue. If you're looking for the b&w film I sent that can be processed as C-41, your best bet would be purchasing online. But TRUE b&w film (processed in DD-X, Rodinal or even coffee!) might be impossible to find a local lab, so you'll have two choices. One, send exposed film off to a lab and two, develop it yourself.

As for option no 1:
Pros: Easy and convenient.
Cons: Expensive, turn-around time, little control over process.

Option 2:
Cons: Need to purchase own equipment, need to have dark space, some chemicals don't have long shelf life.
Pros :Equipment needed is not all that expensive, you can develop however you want (develop same day after shooting), ability to push/pull ISO, total control of developers, temperature, times, agitation etc., and my personal favorite: the sheer joy of seeing the images you shot AND develop come off the reel!

I'm fascinated by it. I love film. .....

Resistance was futile. You have been assimilated.
smiley_green_borg.gif
I'll be probably developing on my own but not yet... I'm not ready for it... I don't know enough to be brave enough for trying to develop film

I'm asking questions, google-ing arround to see what is available to me... I bought one color film they ( couple of places) had, it's Fujicolor C200... that was the only one I could find

anyway... the guys from the club should know more so I'll contact them

PS I don't have time to write anymore, but I will reply everyone tomorrow

oh... I forgot to ask... what is this?
View attachment 115497
I'm sure everyone else is afraid to tell you what you have captured in that image.
Film can show you the real world unlike digital sensors.

To the right, are
Martian Sheep.

so be careful next time you're on that road.
:)

Marija, it looks to me, that you are sitting in the middle of Europe. You are kidding about the problems with film supply. Or I am wrong ?
Unfortunately, I'm not kidding..

Trying to find a place which has bw film...

I'm now in a photo club and I'll ask them where they get bw film...

It's not easy to find it at all
What country are you in ?!?

Marija, welcome to film!

The old meters are not nearly as sophisticated as a meter in a modern digital camera. In the beginning, check the film meter with your digital meter. You may ultimately want a handheld meter if you get truly hooked on film. Also, the best (cheapest) way to shoot B&W is to purchase the film in 100' rolls, then load your one cassettes. Much , much cheaper that way. Developing yourself is no big deal as far as effort goes. PM me if you need anything, I may even have an extra handheld meter laying around. For most situations, Sunny 16 works.

Good Luck and Good Shooting

......it happened at the end of the roll..........

Then most likely it's a double-exposure due to the shutter being cocked before the film is completely advanced past the previously exposed frame.

Some cameras have that nasty design..... as you push the advance lever, it not only moves the film but at the same time it cocks the shutter. If you push the advance lever halfway, the shutter is cocked, but you haven't moved the exposed film out from behind the shutter. Better cameras will fully advance the film first, THEN cock the shutter at the very end of moving the advance lever.

Since the shutter will fire, you think you've sneaked one more frame in and saved a few drachmas. But you've actually double-exposed the last full image on the roll.

So as soon as you feel the end of the roll of film through the advance lever, stop shooting and rewind instead of firing off another shot.

Also check the negative to see if the little holes that guides the film are broken. At then end of the roll if you advance the film with a little force then it can break the guides on the film causing the lever to advance all the way and cocking the shutter thus letting you take another shot.

Marija, welcome to film!

The old meters are not nearly as sophisticated as a meter in a modern digital camera. In the beginning, check the film meter with your digital meter. You may ultimately want a handheld meter if you get truly hooked on film. Also, the best (cheapest) way to shoot B&W is to purchase the film in 100' rolls, then load your one cassettes. Much , much cheaper that way. Developing yourself is no big deal as far as effort goes. PM me if you need anything, I may even have an extra handheld meter laying around. For most situations, Sunny 16 works.

I use this and it usually is dead on with my K1000 but a little off with my D3300. I don't know what that is about. I see these cheap on eBay, don't know if you would recommend these or not for her Gary. I think the D3300 is more precise? Thought I would add a inexpensive alternative that I know works but I am no expert.

IMG_20160209_102950715.jpg

Marija, it looks to me, that you are sitting in the middle of Europe. You are kidding about the problems with film supply. Or I am wrong ?
Unfortunately, I'm not kidding..

Trying to find a place which has bw film...

I'm now in a photo club and I'll ask them where they get bw film...

It's not easy to find it at all
Foma films from the Czech Republic are great you should be able to get them, lots of film in Germany I buy I film called Orwo that I buy at 100 feet and roll my own

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

What country are you in ?!?
A small country in Eastern Europe

Marija, welcome to film!
Thank you! It's nice being there :)

Oh... sounds pretty simple but how can it didn't even cross my mind .... I'll do that , compare meters

as for buying films,... had to google "the film in 100' rolls" - too much to handle right now I think... I think I need to figure out a lot about film first... seriously, I feel like I don't know anything about photography... this is a whole new world... a very nice one though :)

Thank you!

Among else, I appreciate you said I can pm you, because I will :icon_hug:

I'll pay attention next time

Also check the negative to see if the little holes that guides the film are broken. At then end of the roll if you advance the film with a little force then it can break the guides on the film causing the lever to advance all the way and cocking the shutter thus letting you take another shot.
I'll pay attention, ty

I use this and it usually is dead on with my K1000 but a little off with my D3300. I don't know what that is about. I see these cheap on eBay, don't know if you would recommend these or not for her Gary. I think the D3300 is more precise? Thought I would add a inexpensive alternative that I know works but I am no expert.
don't know anything about handheld meters that's sure

Foma films from the Czech Republic are great you should be able to get them, lots of film in Germany I buy I film called Orwo that I buy at 100 feet and roll my own

just checked their website... I'll ask about shipping

The guy from the photo club told me that they buy the film from Germany. They have Agfa APX 100 for 7,44 $ so I'll buy a couple from them... They develop films within the club but currently they have troubles with the space so...

Marina, do you have iPhone ? There is an app for light metering for it. Some say it's good enough for starters.
I am also from East Europe. Are you inside EU ? Nevertheless most stores will probably ship to you anyway.

Marina, do you have iPhone ? There is an app for light metering for it. Some say it's good enough for starters........

There's several for Androids as well.

Most reactions

Back