yup...I'm addicted to film... have a few questions

Not sure how digital photography is "snobbish"... If anything film can be (looking at you, Hasselblad and Leica enthusiasts), due to the exclusivity associated with certain film cameras (once again...). It's also like vinyl-there's a retro, vintage aspect to it.

Can someone offer Maria a flower?

If there's a perfect way to get someone disinterested in shooting film, it's reading threads like these: an endless loop that never take into consideration what the photographer's personal preference is. Which should trump everything else.

Not sure how digital photography is "snobbish"... If anything film can be (looking at you, Hasselblad and Leica enthusiasts), due to the exclusivity associated with certain film cameras (once again...). It's also like vinyl-there's a retro, vintage aspect to it.
I use Leica because they are so nice to use

And my rationale for using Hasselblad is the same, but I still feel like there's a lot of "I'm better than you because my camera" going on with those two groups.

At the end of the day, only one thing is known without any doubt: we have well and truly hijacked Marija's thread.
Oh yeah for sure

tumblr_lilhgh7uj21qcn249o1_500.gif

but I'm nice... I don't mind :D

Can someone offer Maria a flower?
yes please thank you :D

If there's a perfect way to get someone disinterested in shooting film, it's reading threads like these: an endless loop that never take into consideration what the photographer's personal preference is. Which should trump everything else.
yup, clear and concise

In a period of my life when I didn't have money for basic stuff I used to smoke and I had money for cigarettes.... because I won't eat properly, wont buy clothes/stuff/fruits but I'll buy cigarettes. Priorities.

It took me a few years to save necessary money for digital camera I wanted to buy (6D)+ the cheapest lens there is for a full frame camera-pancake lens .... and then it took me some time to buy 85mm 1.8... That is basically all of my equipment. (oh yes, I have a reflector I bought in China, ebay... and everything I want to buy is way more cheaper in USA so I buy it (almost everything) in USA and then wait someone to come and bring me) Until then I was shooting with the crappiest camera which demanded perfect light conditions and I was learning.

I got a film camera from Sparky and now I'll spend some money on films and developing/scanning... How many films and how often will I shoot? Idk, we'll see.

I'll also spend some money for printing 8 8x12 prints for exhibition. (prints aren't as expensive as they are in USA)

I don't know the cost of buying/developing/scanning film or printing frames but I think that when someone really want something he/she will find a way. It doesn't have to be today, tomorrow...who cares when it will be, but It will be.

I definitely see you @DanOstergren picking up a film camera, but when it will be, it doesn't really matter.

Last edited:
In a period of my life when I didn't have money for basic stuff I used to smoke and I had money for cigarettes.... because I won't eat properly, wont buy clothes/stuff/fruits but I'll buy cigarettes. Priorities.

It took me a few years to save necessary money for digital camera I wanted to buy (6D)+ the cheapest lens there is for a full frame camera-pancake lens .... and then it took me some time to buy 85mm 1.8... That is basically all of my equipment. (oh yes, I have a reflector I bought in China, ebay... and everything I want to buy is way more cheaper in USA so I buy it (almost everything) in USA and then wait someone to come and bring me) Until then I was shooting with the crappiest camera which demanded perfect light conditions and I was learning.

I got a film camera from Sparky and now I'll spend some money on films and developing/scanning... How many films and how often will I shoot? Idk, we'll see.

I'll also spend some money for printing 8 8x12 prints for exhibition. (prints aren't as expensive as they are in USA)

I don't know the cost of buying/developing/scanning film or printing frames but I think that when someone really want something he/she will find a way. It doesn't have to be today, tomorrow...who cares when it will be, but It will be.

I definitely see you @DanOstergren picking up a film camera, but when it will be, it doesn't really matter.
PM me your address and there will be film on the way to you

Yeah, it's all relative, not just photography related but what anyone spends their money on. I love shooting with the SX-70 and The Impossible Project film isn't exactly cheap, but for me it's a matter of budgeting for it (so I won't be buying more when another expense is coming up! but I can work it in eventually).

I've been a photographer like, forever, so I'm still shooting film. And don't see any reason not to.

The idea of comparing BULK-loaded black-and-white film home developed is not a reasonable comparison; a COLOR image from a digital camera can make a gorgeous color image OR a lovely black and white image. Black and white film is always B&W, no color, less-versatile than color slide film.

Color slide film can make a color image AND/OR a B&W image, which makes it well worth its cost.
I do not understand why I would want to go to the trouble of shooting with mono film and then decide I want colour. I do not - I want mono! Again, if I buy an expensive DSLR I would not be using my MX. I like using my MX and do not want to use a plastic automatic camera. I want to have fun.

www.johns-old-cameras.blogspot.co.uk

Last edited:
There's plenty of (expensive) digital cameras that are not automatic.

PM me your address and there will be film on the way to you

Seriously?

262b5e66af3fedc498eed70eb090432f.gif

... but what have I done to get it!? :)

me happy today :D

Most reactions

Back