Zack Arias, editing rig, thoughts?

jamesbjenkins

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.ballengerphotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently was reading on Zack Arias' tumblr where he was answering a question about gear. I really dig his posts, but one thing he wrote really got stuck in my head. Here's a paraphrase: "your computer needs to be better than your camera. You're going to be spending a lot more time in front of your computer than your camera, so you need to get the very best computer you can possibly afford."

I moved to Mac in spring of 2010 with a entry level 13" MBP. Earlier this year, I upgraded the RAM to 8GB. I do all my editing on this rig. It's starting to show its age. My workflow involves LR4 and PS together, and with anything more than about 25-30 images, the computer really starts to bog down. It randomly locks up at least once a week.

I have a couple of grand ready to spend, and I had been trying to decide between picking up a D800 or a D3s. But, the more I think about it, the more I agree with Zack that I should get a spec'd out editing rig instead. Probably an iMac, since affording a Mac Pro AND a good editing monitor isn't realistic.

So, your turn: What do think about Zack Arias' statement about computers VS. cameras/gear? What's your ideal photography computer? Specs?

depends on your particular work flow and how much editing is part of it, but for you, it certainly sounds like the computer is your bottleneck right now.

I think is point is one that you should not take to the extreme of what he said and instead a statement that needs to remain in context and also in the spirit of what he said. Chances are for the average person looking to go pro they are looking at maybe a 5DMII or that area of pricing for a camera body - maybe a 1D. For a photographer you'll need at least 1K in a computer - another 0.5K in a monitor - the same again if not more in software for editing - a calibration machine and then that ignores investment in both storage and backup solutions. The prices will add up and you could certainly end up spending a good few thousand on a full IT suite for a professional photography setup and that suite could easily cost more than the camera itself.

It might cost less than your camera lenses, lighting and camera support material - but it will still be a very significant cost to consider. It's also something people are apt to overlook. They'll focus on being a "Photographer" which means camera gear and they can overlook the budget for the IT suite to support that properly. This leaves them with problems - maybe a computer which runs the software a bit slower than ideal (slower = taking more time = costs for a business); maybe they end up without a proper storage setup so that they are constantly having to push for more storage space instead of having it free and to spare; similarly they might not have suitable backup for that and that means its a ticking time-bomb before something goes drastically wrong

I can understand the statement for those who truly are pros (weddings, stock, NG). But I can't see a MWAC with three 27" calibrated monitors, dual RAID arrays and 40TB of disk space sitting on her desk.

They'll focus on being a "Photographer" which means camera gear and they can overlook the budget for the IT suite to support that properly. This leaves them with problems - maybe a computer which runs the software a bit slower than ideal (slower = taking more time = costs for a business).

See, this is EXACTLY my problem. Since buying my first decent camera in February 2009 (Nikon D90 with a kits lens), I've accumulated about $15k worth of bodies, lenses, lighting, peripherals, etc. I've been so focused on acquiring the "right" gear so the tech side of things would get out of my way and just let me create whatever image I had in my mind regardless of conditions.

As fjrabon said, my computer has definitely become my bottleneck. I spend probably 5x more time in front of the computer than I would if I had a spec'd screamer of a editing rig. My computer easily costs me a couple of hours on a wedding.

I can understand the statement for those who truly are pros (weddings, stock, NG). But I can't see a MWAC with three 27" calibrated monitors, dual RAID arrays and 40TB of disk space sitting on her desk.

So, therein lies my second question. In your opinion, what's the ideal rig for photography for someone with a ~$3000 budget that deals with large batches of images and several "RAM selfish" apps? I'm thinking an iMac with 3.4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD plus the backup solution and a 24"-27" second monitor (still working on the details there) would do the trick for at least the next 2-3 years. Is that overkill? not enough? Am I missing something?

So, therein lies my second question. In your opinion, what's the ideal rig for photography for someone with a ~$3000 budget that deals with large batches of images and several "RAM selfish" apps? I'm thinking an iMac with 3.4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD plus the backup solution and a 24"-27" second monitor (still working on the details there) would do the trick for at least the next 2-3 years. Is that overkill? not enough? Am I missing something?

I wouldn't consider the budget.... I would consider what you NEED.

For the casual shooter who just likes to actuate shutters as a hobby, $3k may be overkill. For someone who pays their bills on a regular basis with a camera, $3k may be sorely lacking.

I wouldn't consider the budget.... I would consider what you NEED.

For the casual shooter who just likes to actuate shutters as a hobby, $3k may be overkill. For someone who pays their bills on a regular basis with a camera, $3k may be sorely lacking.

I agree. Here's where I'm at. I started my "business" in November 2009, but I didn't have an effing clue what I was doing running a business. It wasn't until this year that I started to get my ducks in a row. Right now, I'm trying to position everything to take the next step with the business. I've never spent a penny on marketing, never been to a bridal fair/show, etc. Every single client I've had has been a personal contact or a referral. Right now, my website and my computer are the liabilities. My photographic skills improve with every session. I'm working with a pro web dev as we speak, so the computer is the last part sorely lacking.

I NEED the ability to work through a set without my computer getting in my way. That's probably as simple as I can make it. I'm pretty comfortable with my backup solution right now (two separate 2TB external drives for weekly backups and real time cloud-based off-site backups). It's the rest of the equation that I'm trying to get feedback on.....

I would say you could make a saving on the computer parts by not getting a second dedicated monitor and instead sinking your initial budget into ensuring that you've a rig which can run all the editing software you need it to as fast as is affordability possible. That removes your time bottle-neck significantly.

From there I would look to local storage and backup storage - you need enough local storage that you're able to work for a good period of time before you have to upgrade it; similarly you need to remember that any storage needs backup for 100% of the data; and that any further increase in storage is also budgeted for an increase in backup storage as well.

I would rate adding a second monitor lower than the rest since whilst it is an aid its not a direct feature everyone "needs". The average photographer can work very well with just a single screen; so I would far rather have a solid working setup with a good quality monitor than a setup which has two lower quality screens. By all means some specific situations might require a second screen in order to work properly; but I'm not aware of a photographer directly "needing" a second screen to be able to work. Thus I'd consider it something you can add down the line rather than something critical that you need up front.

Yeah, the bigger iMac models are probably going to be adequate for photo editing. I'm pretty surprised to hear about a Mac that locks up regularly; and once a week? zOMG, there;s got to be "some kinda' problem" with the computer or its software, or "something". As to the three-monitor setup...there's a TPF member here that has three, side-by-side, not too-big and not-too-small monitors on his desktop,and the setup seems to work quite well for Lightroom editing. We're not talking three, $2,000 monitors, but three, decent, Samsung flat-panels, identical models.

Again, a Mac that locks up "regularly" obviously has some problem(s) that make it a giant PITA; I can download normal takes of 7 to 15 gigabytes of 24 MP D3x files, and import them into lightroom and work on them without any hiccups or freezes, every day...and this is a very modest iMac with a 2.5 HGz Intel Core i5 (single, 4-core) processor and 4 gigs of DDR3 1333 MHz RAM and a stock 250 gig hard disk and a 3 terabyte WD external USB 2.0 storage/backup drive hooked up...and this was like an $1100 computer 13 months ago...in that time it has crashed maybe three times...seriously...I have no idea why your MBP is so quirky...

Anyway...I dunno...the iMac's and this new Thunderbolt port MINUS Firewire hookups....ehh, the loss of firewire ports is a big,big PITA, IMHO.I still have a LOT of firewire external stuff...I think it might be a better idea to buy a used or refurb Mac Pro tower: I bought a TOP of the line Mac G5 (tower) as a refurb 8 years ago...it is STILL running well...but it's pre-Intel, so it cannot run "the latest" software. But, for 8 years, it has been ROCK-solid, and it was like $2,399, as a refurb, and about $800 off "list", as equipped. Eight YEARS, for a pro Macintosh tower, used hard, and left on for days on end, 24/7. Truly been the best single piece of gear I've ever bought.

.......... I'm pretty comfortable with my backup solution right now (two separate 2TB external drives for weekly backups and real time cloud-based off-site backups). .....

I've heard it said if your digital work doesn't exist in three distinct locations, it really doesn't exist.

I take that to mean if my files aren't located at three separate Post Office addresses, I run the risk of losing everything.

I would spend the money in the computer as well. Like Derrell said, something might be wrong. I use a PC with about the same specs and barely any hiccups.

get the computer because if you think yours is slow for a D90, think of what it would like with a D800... 12MB files up to 75ish? yeah right.

Like Derrell said, something might be wrong.

I'm concerned about that as well. I've done all the routine maintenance that I know how to do. I've verified and repaired the disc, the permissions, the PRAM, the power control module, etc. The hangups may very well have been Photoshop's fault though. Almost every time it locked up, I was running photoshop. Adobe released a patch with stability fixes and bug crashes for Photoshop CS6, and it hasn't happened since then. However, that's only been 2-3 days ago. We'll see.

ehh, the loss of firewire ports is a big,big PITA, IMHO.I still have a LOT of firewire external stuff...I think it might be a better idea to buy a used or refurb Mac Pro tower: I bought a TOP of the line Mac G5 (tower) as a refurb 8 years ago...it is STILL running well...but it's pre-Intel, so it cannot run "the latest" software. But, for 8 years, it has been ROCK-solid, and it was like $2,399, as a refurb, and about $800 off "list", as equipped. Eight YEARS, for a pro Macintosh tower, used hard, and left on for days on end, 24/7. Truly been the best single piece of gear I've ever bought.

Well, the removal of FW800 is in the same boat as their refusal to support USB 3.0. They were sacrificed at the altar of Almighty Thunderbolt. It's all about their bull**** proprietary I/O methods. Apple just HAS to monetize every single element of the computer, even at the direct expense of customer convenience and satisfaction.

Thanks for the input, Derrel.

Yes...I could scream...my Exernal RAID box uses Firewire 800, or 1000 Base-T ethernet, or FW 400...It has all three hook-ups...and I have STACKS of Firewire 400 drives, and another big, FAST FW 800 external...but the danged iMac has...Thunderbolt...now ON BALANCE, I know Thunderbolt can, like, import three simultaneous streams of raw, uncompressed D800 video, without a hiccup..so it can move data like a mo-fo...but I don't have the "mo" for the "fo" now...

Most reactions

Back