Zack Arias, editing rig, thoughts?

TheBiles said:
Technology isn't for everyone!

Not sure if you're trying to be cute here. I've been surrounded by computers my whole life. I was toying with an old Turbo XT when I was 7. My dad taught me how to build out my first tower when I was 12. I was into hacking in high school before I got a nice letter from the FBI telling me to stop, or else.

Technology is my third language. Why post if you're just going to be rude and unhelpful?

TheBiles said:
Technology isn't for everyone!

Not sure if you're trying to be cute here. I've been surrounded by computers my whole life. I was toying with an old Turbo XT when I was 7. My dad taught me how to build out my first tower when I was 12. I was into hacking in high school before I got a nice letter from the FBI telling me to stop, or else.

Technology is my third language. Why post if you're just going to be rude and unhelpful?

It's very typical of windows snobs (apple snobs are just as bad, but in a different way). They sort of paint anybody who prefers a mac as illiterate technologically. Which is of course absurd. I use both macs and PCs, and I have built my own computer before too. But I appreciate the integrated design of the Mac system. As much as windows people want to believe it, Apple didn't become the most successful company in the history of the world through pure marketing gimmickry, they make great products that people ENJOY using, even past their pure utility. My windows machines are viewed as sort of necessary evils because of the programs my company uses. My macbook air is an absolute joy to use in its own right.

Sure, a lot of people who aren't good with technology like macs, because they're easy to use. But it's always kind of funny when windows people treat ease of use as an engineering flaw. "LOL, technology isn't for you, since you want this easy to use, streamlined system instead of this clunky system with all these top shelf 'specs' that if you put many hours into, you can maybe make it work a little bit faster." Apple has more or less showed we're in a post spec era, where how things work together is a lot more important to end users than the raw specifications.

Zac's point, and it's a good one, is that macs just work. I understand computers, I can build one, I can trouble shoot one. But every minute I have to spend figuring out something that should 'just work' is a minute I'm not either editing photos, taking photos or discussing photos. I'm a photographer. If I wanted to be a computer engineer, I would have been a computer engineer.

I'll never forget a conversation I once overheard between an engineer and a designer, it almost seemed like a farce. THe engineer came up with this wildly convoluted way that you could do something, using this amalgamation of various workarounds. The designer pointed out how ungodly complicated it was, and that users would never 'get it'. The engineer responded with "well, if it works, that's no longer my problem if they're too stupid to get it".

Now of course, this is going to descend into pure mac v. pc flame war, but I guess you've got most of the answers you were looking for by now anyway.

Apple v. PC is just a fan-boy thing; not really any different than Canon v. Nikon, Coke v. Pepsi, or Ford v. Chevy.

Apple v. PC is just a fan-boy thing; not really any different than Canon v. Nikon, Coke v. Pepsi, or Ford v. Chevy.

Well, duh...and we ​ALL know that the winners are Mac,Nikon,Coke,and Ford.

The way I see Zack's article is a LOT like the way I see flash triggers...I bought two sets of Pocket Wizards...the original, expensive PW's, back in 2006, when there were not a lot of cheaper alternatives around, and before the veritable flood of cheap, Chinese-made triggers. I have had one misfire out of perhaps 10,000 frames...and that was because knucklehead here forgot to push the PW alllll the way into the hot shoe. DOAH!

Zack is suggesting that people just get a Mac...forget all the whinging and hemming and excuse-making from the kids from Camp Windoze, who know nothing about Macs...I see the SAME,exact thing WRT to the many,many people who buy cheap, POS, Chinese "poverty wizard" triggers that work....as long as you're close...as long as there's a good line of sight...as long as there's not too much RFI from nearby "anything", as long as...the tiny batteries work, and the ambient temp is above 55 degrees, and so on...they tell you how GREAT! their $69 Chinese hardware is "as long as you';re willing to ______________", and then give some excuse/limitation/stipulation/condition.

Just buy Pocket Wizards. Just buy a Mac. Just buy a Nikon.

fjrabon said:
But every minute I have to spend figuring out something that should 'just work' is a minute I'm not either editing photos, taking photos or discussing photos. I'm a photographer. If I wanted to be a computer engineer, I would have been a computer engineer.

This! I'm perfectly capable of using a PC. I just hate having to fiddle with crap. I want the damn thing to just get out of my way and let me focus on my pictures. Mac does that a lot better than PC. I think it really comes down to the multitouch gestures and the huge track pad. Switching back and forth between apps and desktops without making a second motion or mouse click is a total gamechanger. I don't think Windows machines will ever be able to replicate many of those elements as they're patented and proprietary.

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback.

In terms of a pro photographer like Zach, sitting in front of the computer, a lot more than being behind the camera...
Some would call that a poor choice. As the primary (maybe only) photographer for his company (not to mention; owner, CEO, etc.) his time should be worth at least $100/hour. But how much is editing time worth? He could probably pay someone $20-$25/hr to do that, leaving his time free to shoot more, run the business or just have more personal time.

But ya, a nice computer is fun too. ;)

In terms of a pro photographer like Zach, sitting in front of the computer, a lot more than being behind the camera...
Some would call that a poor choice. As the primary (maybe only) photographer for his company (not to mention; owner, CEO, etc.) his time should be worth at least $100/hour. But how much is editing time worth? He could probably pay someone $20-$25/hr to do that, leaving his time free to shoot more, run the business or just have more personal time.

But ya, a nice computer is fun too. ;)

I've talked to him personally about this before. He says he's tried it, but he's never happy with anybody editing his photos but him. He shoots with editing in mind and edits with shooting in mind, he can't separate the two in his creative process. He says he actually shoots differently when he's sending unedited images in to an editor, or even partially edited images that he knows an editor is going to edit further (which comprises the majority of his best paying work these days).

edit: and also, keep in mind that this is in the context of a 'how to get started as a pro' advice response. Obviously even if you wanted to give up editing, just starting out, it's not feasible.

edit2: Also, I'm pretty sure Meg (his wife) is more the CEO and runs the business than Zack does. ;)

Scan a 4x5 at 5k ppi and let me know how that works out on your non-fancy PC..... I have back in like 1998 on a Powermac.

It sucks.

My film scanner computer is a now-ancient Power Mac G4/450...it runs my ancient Minolta SCSI-interface film scanner...lol...the thing is from 1999...it's a MAC...it's STILL rock-solid.

Funny thing is, I payed around $3k for it back when it was the biggest,baddest, FASTEST computer on the planet...then, last summer, I found the same,exact model, loaded with software, from a former graphic designer...I payed her $35 for it, along with an 8-port USB hub, a 19 inch LaCie monitor, and a very nice LaCie external DVD burner/player...I could not pass it up!!! Unlike my now tits-up, ruined, Sony PC, my two "ancient" professional-level Mac towers are still working grrrreat. Still imminently capable as print servers, DVD burners, scanner stations, e-mail, accounting,slide-show serving, archiving,etc,etc. Most PC's of that age are now...useless POS boxes...

Is that the Minolta Multi Pro? Those scanners rock socks! My last scanner was an abandoned AP Leafscan 35, and I've spend MANY hours waiting on a Leafscan 45.

Gotta love a scanner that you actually set the aperture on. Like remove the cover and adjust it on the lens! You also could set the exposure in "millisec per line". They even had focus bellows!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back