Zoinks! Over my head!

shtsily

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello folks,
Just used my Nikon D3 for the first time and let's just say I'm more than a little over my head. Awesome machine, but sooo much to learn. I'm excited to try and was hoping this forum could point me in the right direction with thoughts, critiques and corrections. It was suggested, and I tried, shooting in "auto-iso" as well as auto-wb, and maybe these are the start of my mistakes. I also shot in S mode, with 800 ss, with a 70-200mm f2.8 vr, with the vr turned off and the camera at f2.8-3.5 pretty much throughout. I also lower the noise in camera to low. I should also point out this place makes most caves look bright and cheery, but I can't believe everything was still this bad. I was really hoping for more like the last shot :( Any thoughts, help greatly appreciated. kia

http://www.fatdogfotos.smugmug.com/gallery/6759216_bgZYs#431635378_E92vn-L-LB

http://www.fatdogfotos.smugmug.com/gallery/6759216_bgZYs#431634199_zg7c2-L-LB

http://www.fatdogfotos.smugmug.com/gallery/6759216_bgZYs#431635424_eW2ZB-L-LB

You would have been best advised to set a manual exposure that would have held constant, and gave you a good histogram. Letting the camera pick exposures for hockey is a bad idea-- that much white, and you're bound for trouble. For sports in general and indoor sports in particular, I never use anything but manual exposure-- your lights will not be changing significantly, so any change in exposure between shots will be a bad thing. Leave your ISO set in one place as well.

Probably setting a custom white balance would have been a good idea as well.

Thanks so much, Tsara, I appreciate the feedback. I normally don't do auto iso or wb, but a few folks I was speaking with told me that these two features on this camera were suppose to be terrific, and I'm guessing they are, but probably just not with something like the hockey rink. Thanks, I'll try manual.:D

In an arena like that the exposure and WB will not change appreciably. Manual settings are best, although it does pay to keep an eye on your meter.

The one photo I looked at (briefly) looked over exposed to me so there you go. :)

Hrmm... a D3, huh? Not too impressive, but then again, neither were my first times trying out taking pics in a ice rink... it is quite challenging.

First thing is that you will need to learn your camera a LOT better. I suggest that you purchase the Complete Guide to the D3 by Thom Hogan (www.bythom.com). His PDF book will blow your mind and teach you things about your D3 that aren't even in the factory manual.

My version for the D700 came in this morning and I learned about 15 important and new things in the last 2 hours.

Second... get the basics of photography down and third, last and most important, practice. practice, practice.

Your pics look a little bland, have a tiny motion blur (should be zero!), and are not anywhere near as clear as I have seen other D3/D700 users get in very similar conditions. Last year, I seemed to have been able to do bit better with a Nikon D200 at ISO 1600 (click on pictures for bigger version).:

The D3 is a professional grade camera that is VERY unforgiving of inexperience or lack of knowledge. To get the most out of it, one has to be both comfortable in photography and their equipment.

I've only had my D700 a couple of weeks and not tried it out in the local rinks yet... maybe sometime this week. I would love to compare it to the pics above.

Good luck with the camera.

Thanks all, I can't tell you how much I appreciate the feedback. And Thanks Jerry, so THAT'S what good color is suppose to look like in an arena! LOL Thanks for the Thom Hogan book recommendation too. I know it may not look it but I read my manual religiously but it would be great to find something that goes beyond the standard and has a bit more explanation and process. Funny thing is the more I read the less I know, as each component has multiple components who then have multiple learning components off that, but I guess that's the beauty of photography. I debated not staying with the D3, and maybe working more with the D700, as I really am over my head and am just an enthusiastic (tho very enthusiatic) amateur (very AMATEUR) myself, coming from my D30, but I think I'm gonna try and hang in and see if I can read more and maybe take some classes, cuz boy when this thing works its just gorgeous and everyone on the forums is always so helpful too, that hopefully with the "practice, practice, practice" I can get something of a feel for this! If not, it'll be great fun trying! Thanks again! :)

And Thanks Jerry, so THAT'S what good color is suppose to look like in an arena! LOL
Actually, thats what it looks like on a D200, your camera is supposed to blow the D200 out of the water.

My D700 and your D3 are identical in terms of final results, I will show you what it is supposed to be able to do sometime soon. I enjoy going to the ice rink, becuase it is a challenging place to shoot and play one day soon. I'll check out the rink sometime before Saturday.

I debated not staying with the D3, and maybe working more with the D700, as I really am over my head and am just an enthusiastic (tho very enthusiatic) amateur (very AMATEUR) myself, coming from my D30,

A D700 is 98% of a D3 and $2000 less. I decided on the D700 and highest quality lenses.

Thanks again! :)

Welcome.

Yeah, I know. :er:

I've seen worse. I was at a local meeting and a guy was there with a Canon 1dmk something and he was asking a couple of us if we thought it was a good first camera, and if we knew where he could learn about what the buttons on top did....:(

Try forgetting about all of the advanced features and extra techno crap that the camera can do and just concentrate on the good old fashion basics. ISO, Shutter speed, and aperture, then after you have nailed getting your exposure right time after time, move on to some of the more advanced options, priority modes, lighting, whatever.

Hello folks,
Just used my Nikon D3 for the first time and let's just say I'm more than a little over my head. Awesome machine, but sooo much to learn. I'm excited to try and was hoping this forum could point me in the right direction with thoughts, critiques and corrections. It was suggested, and I tried, shooting in "auto-iso" as well as auto-wb, and maybe these are the start of my mistakes. I also shot in S mode, with 800 ss, with a 70-200mm f2.8 vr, with the vr turned off and the camera at f2.8-3.5 pretty much throughout. I also lower the noise in camera to low. I should also point out this place makes most caves look bright and cheery, but I can't believe everything was still this bad. I was really hoping for more like the last shot :( Any thoughts, help greatly appreciated. kia

http://www.fatdogfotos.smugmug.com/gallery/6759216_bgZYs#431635378_E92vn-L-LB

http://www.fatdogfotos.smugmug.com/gallery/6759216_bgZYs#431634199_zg7c2-L-LB

http://www.fatdogfotos.smugmug.com/gallery/6759216_bgZYs#431635424_eW2ZB-L-LB

Well I guess this post is a good reminder its not the equipment but the photographer that produces great photos.

Who cares if people buy expensive cameras before they know how to use them? More people buying = good thing, I think.

I've seen worse. I was at a local meeting and a guy was there with a Canon 1dmk something and he was asking a couple of us if we thought it was a good first camera, and if we knew where he could learn about what the buttons on top did....:(

He has to of stolen it :|

Most reactions

Back